Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch Engagement Changes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2016, 06:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainSquirts
I had this happen to me probably like 3 or 4 times. Started happening a little before my throw out bearing went out. With new clutch/tob in it hasn't happened again.
This started when I had replaced my whole clutch assembly (bar the flywheel, which has since also been replaced) when I had my motor out when it was built, so I don't think it's a tob going bad.

Just a little update, this morning I removed, disassembled and checked the master cylinder and it looks fine, no scoring and the rubber rings are in good condition, so I'm very quickly coming to the conclusion that something is wrong with the actual clutch mechanism inside the bell housing that is causing the disk to stay in contact with the flywheel to a degree, but I'm buggered if I can work out what's actually happening!
Old Aug 21, 2016, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fireescape
Well a massive bump back from the presumably dead (like a zombie). I've been suffering with this issue for the last 12 months with my NPC (Aussie brand) 5 puck ceramic button clutch. Same issue as previous posters, sometimes the clutch engages right of the floor, maybe 1/2 an inch off the carpet. In all other respects the clutch works fine, 8500rpm shifts are not a problem, but if I come to a complete stop, push the clutch in and put the car into 1st, say at the lights, maybe 1 time out of 3, when I release the clutch it engages at the low spot. If I push the clutch in, put the car into neutral, let the clutch all the way out, and then push the clutch back in and go into 1st again, it seems to fix the issue. I've bleed the clutch about 6 times, including having a mechanic mate of mine put his power bleeder on it. I've replaced the slave cylinder, but not the master. I've also pulled the gearbox off the car, lubed the fork, splines etc (a multiday epic), first time I drove the car it was still doing it.

It's a funny thing, it's as if the clutch disk is only half engaged, like it's slipping until the clutch pedal position reaches it's normally position then it fully engages. The car starts to move a bit then normally after the pedal gets to the normal engagement position. I'm reluctant to just throw money, time and parts (master cylinder) at the problem hoping to fix it but have completely run out of ideas.

So the question is, with this problem first being mentioned back in 2011, has anyone come up with a definitive answer to fix this issue, and an explanation of what's actually happening?

Similar thing is happening to me (ACT 6 puck with HD pressure plate and prolite flywheel with ARP bolts). Seems that the car would randomly engage the clutch immediately off the floor whenever it felt like doing so. My solution was to basically beat up the clutch a little bit and wear it in aggressively, and it seems that the problem is mostly resolved.

The clutch still engages right off the floor occasionally. It typically happens when I slip the clutch twice in reverse without full engagement (backing out of a parking spot), then depress the pedal and shift into first. If i try to engage the clutch in first without fully letting off the clutch between the reverse to 1st transition, then it catches right off the floor. Might be because of clutch dust or something, but who knows . My simple solution is just to release the clutch pedal fully if I've been slipping the clutch at all. Kind of annoying, but in my case there is a definite pattern and the problem can be mostly avoided with a little extra leg work.

Edit: My master cylinder was replaced with an OEM Evo 9 unit and conversion kit when the clutch was installed. Thinking the CMC was the problem, I replaced the OEM 9 CMC with ANOTHER, and the problem still persists. Chances are likely that the CMC is not the problem.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
may be overly simplistic but have you guys tightened the clutch adjuster nut behind the pedal?
Old Aug 22, 2016, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
may be overly simplistic but have you guys tightened the clutch adjuster nut behind the pedal?
Yup, mine has been adjusted several times. Still worth reminding people though. Thanks for the input!