Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Here we go again, quiet cat-back clarification needed.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2011, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here we go again, quiet cat-back clarification needed.

Long-story-short.

05 Evo. AMS GT35R, HKS 272's. Header, Perrin High-flow Cat, Perrin Cat-Back.

Drone. Loud as *****. Can't imagine why...

I wear earplugs while driving... It is that freaking loud. After 40 minutes, I'm pretty sure I am at 10% hearing loss with the earplugs.

I've read BluEVOIX, BluEVOIX and beyond, HUSH, quiet exhaust thread 4 and therein:

Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
Does your car have cams?

Option 1. Pretty quiet.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...t-exhaust.html

Option 2. Stock quiet but mostly for stock cam folks, or stock like smoothness.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...y-muffler.html

There are absolutely no other options out there. I have tried almost everything. Unless you want something that has tapers and restrictions inside.

And most important is perception. Every one thinks their exhaust is quiet. But is it really?
and also, perhaps as importantly:

Originally Posted by Jeffs2006EVOIX
Dont Go Buschur I have their 3" Turbo back with Hi Flow Cat and Magnaflow Muffler, Drones like a sun of a beach under throttle, 80mph cruising on the highway too, just DRONES AND DRONES. I am looking to going back to OEM or doing something. After 3 yrs of drone I am going frickin INSANE!!!

Buschur does have a new Mid Muffler that goes where the Cat would go, but that will not cure Drone. They are for higher frequencies that does not affect the low DB's of drone. Drone is Bassy like having a 12" woofer playing jazz. haha.

Honestly, My exhaust drives me frickin NUTS!!
I feel like Jeff above right now, after 3 years of this I'd drive my Evo off a cliff.

I really want the quietest freaking cat-back that will support ~425 whp. I'm ready to weld factory mufflers end-to-end for a 17 chamber design at this point. I need quiet. For pete's sake, I have a high-flow cat, there must be a way to quiet this thing down!

Dumps, valves, etc. discussion is not welcome. I don't want quiet 99% of the time and OPEN 1% of the time.

There has to be a $500 answer out there that is for quiet for-real.

I heard BluEVOIX's clip in his thread, and the in-car sounds doable, but I don't know if I'll be able to duplicate this with the AMS GT35R, 272's, etc, and the "setup" thread I linked above doesn't have a follow-up.

Experienced insight needed... please!
Old Mar 5, 2011, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

i HIGHLY recommend the tanabe medalion touring. i have one on my 550whp evo.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by anthonyrb98
i HIGHLY recommend the tanabe medalion touring. i have one on my 550whp evo.
Ok, youtube clips look positive. I particularly like the in-car clip from them. However, it does not say in the details how modded that car is.

On your 550whp evo, what turbo, cams, and maybe cat do you have?
Old Mar 5, 2011, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by FERNO
Ok, youtube clips look positive. I particularly like the in-car clip from them. However, it does not say in the details how modded that car is.

On your 550whp evo, what turbo, cams, and maybe cat do you have?
I had the Tanabe Medallion exhaust. Inside the muffler it tapers down to 2.65 inches. Also its not as quiet when running with a testpipe and downpipe combo. As just a catback with stock cat and dp it was a dream though.

Well I was going to suggest dynomax vt muffler but since you have cam's you will most likely have rattle/clanking sound issues.

Your only left with 2 options now.

Varex muffler. Maperformance is doing a group buy.

Make something like this: (boost actuated cutout)
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-beyond-7.html

I only recommend the 2 options above because you seem be looking for an exact OEM quiet setup not a "for some peoples taste its considered quiet"
Old Mar 5, 2011, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

+1 for Varex
Old Mar 5, 2011, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Genesis8
+1 for Varex
Only reason I dont favor the varex that much is because you have to sit there and push a button to go WOT and push it back closed when done. Almost feels like a handicap.

The boost activated setup from the thread I posted is an excellent setup!
Old Mar 5, 2011, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

fujitsubo rm01a
Old Mar 5, 2011, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by asdfasdf128
fujitsubo rm01a
Can u post a vid for the sound??
Old Mar 6, 2011, 02:56 AM
Evolved Member

I suggest this:

http://www.spracingonline.com/store/...ctivated_/3673

I just installed it today along with the factory catback. So I running a downpipe, test pipe with this boost actuated cut out, and then the factory downpipe. It starts to open at 5 psi and is fully open at 11 psi. There is a slight rattle at idle, but it isn't horrible. There is a little bit of play in the valve setup so that is why it rattles. I don't think its unbearable though by an means. Bottom line... I could not be more happier. I can actually have a conversation with a person and not have to feel like I'm yelling. I'm running a 2.3 stroker with a 35R setup too btw. When I get the chance I will probably post a review.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 04:13 AM
Evolving Member

the greddy sp2 is very quiet, but im not sure if you will be able to find one.(i think they stopped producing them)
Old Mar 6, 2011, 05:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FERNO
Long-story-short. ...snip...

Dumps, valves, etc. discussion is not welcome. I don't want quiet 99% of the time and OPEN 1% of the time.
Evidently long-story-short was not short enough. Exhaust valves are not an option. I've had this in the past and hate it for a variety of reasons.

Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
I had the Tanabe Medallion exhaust. Inside the muffler it tapers down to 2.65 inches. Also its not as quiet when running with a testpipe and downpipe combo. As just a catback with stock cat and dp it was a dream though.

Well I was going to suggest dynomax vt muffler but since you have cam's you will most likely have rattle/clanking sound issues.

Your only left with 2 options now.

Varex muffler. Maperformance is doing a group buy.

Make something like this: (boost actuated cutout)
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-beyond-7.html

I only recommend the 2 options above because you seem be looking for an exact OEM quiet setup not a "for some peoples taste its considered quiet"
Not entirely true. The clip I heard of your car I would consider "quiet enough". I'm just not sure about your setup and if you have cams+turbo. I think I remember when reading across 4 threads that you commented that you did not have cams? If you do have cams, turbo and a catless setup, then I would certainly consider your setup for my catted car.

fujitsubo rm01a
Will look into it, but I seem to remember someone saying this was not a quiet option in one of the threads.
Originally Posted by Pegasus
I suggest this:

http://www.spracingonline.com/store/...ctivated_/3673

I just installed it today along with the factory catback. So I running a downpipe, test pipe with this boost actuated cut out, and then the factory downpipe. It starts to open at 5 psi and is fully open at 11 psi. There is a slight rattle at idle, but it isn't horrible. There is a little bit of play in the valve setup so that is why it rattles. I don't think its unbearable though by an means. Bottom line... I could not be more happier. I can actually have a conversation with a person and not have to feel like I'm yelling. I'm running a 2.3 stroker with a 35R setup too btw. When I get the chance I will probably post a review.
No valves, no cutouts.

Originally Posted by jester81783
the greddy sp2 is very quiet, but im not sure if you will be able to find one.(i think they stopped producing them)
I'll look around.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 06:05 AM
Evolving Member

fujitsubo rm01a
+1. I am running with that catback. I only hear engine sound. Hell of quiet cuz 2 resonators. Well, I have 3 includes megan testpipe. I heard it robs some powers though.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 06:47 AM
Evolving Member

Just a question, have you tried to make that power on the stock cat back?
Old Mar 6, 2011, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Tanabe touring medallion. I use it with a HF cat and its quiet--advertised at 93db and it works for me. If it muffles at lower hp , it will proportionally do the same at higher HP. You can't necessarily get all the hp and have it absolutley quiet either as with all mods its a trade off to a degree.... But this is a good combo
Old Mar 6, 2011, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Greddy Evo 2 is very quiet (what I have with a 3"dp and HFC). It does neck down a little bit. My shop here sees several setups and notes this is the quietest one. But in general you want to go and hear them in person, since videos qualities vary and everyone's definition of "quiet" is subjective.

Quick Reply: Here we go again, quiet cat-back clarification needed.