Project Buschur double Magnaflow Quiet Exhaust - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Project Buschur double Magnaflow Quiet Exhaust

Old Jul 15, 2009, 12:36 AM
  #1  
Evolved Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (68)
 
BluEVOIX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: IL
Posts: 1,962
Thanks: 0
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Project Buschur double Magnaflow Quiet Exhaust

*******************************************EDIT*** *****************************
Video Clips added.


We used my friends cell phone.

I also played some music for you so you can compare it to my stereo. At first I raised the volume to 23 then slowly turned it down to 14 just so you get an idea of how quiet the exhaust is. Notice how loud the music sounded compared to the exhaust.

Idle, rev to 2-2.5k and drive off.
http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=MOV01355.flv
Normal driving and comparing to sound system.
http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=MOV01357.flv
WOT 1-2-3
http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=MOV01358.flv
More normal driving a bit of traffic.
http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=MOV01359.flv


************************************************** *************************************
Ok, I think I might be done with the exhaust games. If any of you dont know already, I tried to create or mix and match exhausts to get the most quietest 3" no cat, straight flow through system.

My first attempt was in this thread: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...3-exhaust.html

Project hush was very quiet but I am extremely sensitve to exhaust noises. There was only one evo owner that sat in my car when he was tuning it for me and was impressed with how quiet it was. My friends thought it was too quiet but for some reason it felt like it was 1 decible shy of what I wanted. But dont get me wrong that was cop friendly during normal driving and laughs at the RRE stealth catless exhaust. But most evo owners like to "sound fast" or probably like attention so it might have still been too quiet for the majority of you.

I used to think that oval mufflers are more supreme than round mufflers. But Mr. Bushur pointed something out that made think a little. He mentioned that although wide body mufflers have more packing in the sides, the upper and lower sections lack. So thats why I decided to give his round magnaflow muffler a try.

I decided to go with the slip fit Buschur 3" catback with magnaflow muffler because slip fit is easier to align for me as a novice in fabricating things and cheaper. Buschur uses a 7" round body magnaflow muffler at the rear. After measuring I decided to go with a 6" round body magnaflow in the center because I didnt feal comfortable on if a 7" would clear. But remember I removed the heat shield that was over the cat area on the under body. As for downpipe you can use any 3" that you wish as long as its designed in a way that can bolt on to the stock catalytic converter. The reason I say that is because I know that the AMS downpipe is designed to fit their exhaust systems only with **** length and 3 bolt flange. So if you use theirs or non universal style downpipe you might need to do it slightly differently or more fab work to make it work.

Ok as for sound, this exhaust after warming up when idling it can barely be heard from in cabin pov, slightly over stock and slightly quieter than my previous setup. But this slight difference satisfies me. I guess because inside the cabin sound its more mellower. Also cruising up to or less than 80 on the high way is very nice. I'd say road trip worthy. The previous exhaust after 60-65 became a little over for my liking. In the city cruising (35-45) is very quiet, normal/light acceleration is quiet, can be heard slightly but very mellow and passive for the ears. I enjoy my music on the stock radio at volume level of 20-23 depending on the music. As for WOT it does open up but nothing obnoxiously loud and still quieter than all the other exhuasts. I think if you did some spirited driving you wont have to worry about grabbing attention miles away, but its not like stock quiet.

If any one has ever ran stock catback with 3" downpipe and test pipe this exhaust is slightly louder than that setup. I dont have any sound/video clips yet. I wanted to use my phone but the sound quality is really crappy. I'll see if I can video tape it with a cam-corder and see how it sounds. Usually exhaust systems loudness and tones are hard to capture and accurately portray with regular home camcorders but I'll see what I can do.

Well that includes my story, reasoning and logic of how, and why I did this. Oh, and just so you know this is like my 6th exhuast system for the car. So trust me I tried most of those quiet exhausts out there. And I wasted a lot of money buying and reselling process in which I'm not in that economic statis to be doing. So I hope this could be of a great help to those in similar situations as me.

Parts
-Buschur slip fit cat-back with Magnaflow muffler
-3" inlet Magnaflow muffler 6" diameter, 14" case length, 20" overall length
-Vibrant stainless steel 3" flange
-Any 3" downpipe with 2 bolt flange (I'm using Turbo XS downpipe)

The fabrication of this system is quite simple because the downpipe and catback are well fabricated to fit. All you have to do is get someone to weld the 2 bolt vibrant flange to one side of the 6" wide magnaflow muffler.

I removed the catalytic converter underbody heat sheild a while ago, so I dont know if the magnaflow will clear it if you still have it on. Just go a head and install the downpipe and the catback section. Then you can just bolt the magnaflow muffler to the downpipe with the two flanges, and the catback side would just slip fit on to Buschur's catback. Its pretty much that simple.

The magnaflow muffler's pipe ends are sligthly larger than 3" so the would slip snug over buschurs exhaust pipe. And the clamps Buschur provides work perfectly in creating a great positive seal.

Also if you guys are wondering. With my previous setup I think the Vibrant widebody worked pretty well. I'm not sure which is better compared to the magnaflow muffler though, but I strongly believe the bullet muffler does not muffle that well. I think its because it might be constructed of stainless wool material only in which it doesnt muffle as much. But thats just my hypothesis.

Pictures:
The flash of the camera captures some of the road dust on the muffler but what ever..

6" Magnaflow muffler. You can see that one side is 2 bolt flange and the other slip fit.



Both mufflers from the rear view:




So far I have not wrapped the downpipe yet because I was in a hurry to complete this, but I will soon and see if that changes anything. Also just maybe I might add a resonator just to see if it will do anything. But thats a big maybe way down the road.

After helping a friend put a boost gauge in his 2001.5 Audi S4 wagon, I was amazed at how much sound deadening material/carpet that car had. Even on the firewall in which our car lacks for sure. I think I might get some of those sound materials and add it in to see if I can block some of the engine bay noises and any extra noises of the exhaust.

Last edited by BluEVOIX; Jul 7, 2010 at 11:06 PM.
BluEVOIX is offline  
Old Jul 15, 2009, 02:09 AM
  #2  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Asmodeus6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 772
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I run Buschur's bullet muffler setup in place of the test pipe - where you have your larger muffler. It fits with zero modifications to heat shields, and I even have a larger aluminum drive shaft stuffed under there.

Now I wasn't looking for a super quiet exhaust... so I just have his SD section portioned out for a JDM IX rear. But you could easily run another muffler like you did in the back with it as well.

I'd imagine it would be a pretty quiet exhaust. Even though you don't like the Bullet mufflers as much... they do a good job at shutting the car up. And can be a basically bolt on affair for anyone with a buschur catback that wants quieter.

I ran the same ^ canister style magnaflow in the back for a while and after a while it ends up being loud. Without a stock framed turbo it loses its tone too and can be raspy.

The bullet / SD setup is quieter than their standard canister (larger) magnaflow setup. And to be honest is the best sounding I've heard out of many with larger turbo's etc.

But I've run JUST their SD rear section as well. No muffler in the middle... talk about loud... sheesh! Sounds good IMO. But it's definitely loud.

So like you I've tried some variations... but I am no where near as sensitive about noise as you are.
Asmodeus6 is offline  
Old Jul 15, 2009, 07:08 AM
  #3  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (8)
 
SloRice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: West Chester, OH
Posts: 1,347
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I originally had a single Magnaflow muffler by the back bumper when I got my car built. Sounded ok and not terribly loud.

Then installed the JDM bumper and went to the Bullet where the cat is. Loud was and understatement and the tone was raspy as all hell!!

Then added a second Bullet back by the bumper. The car quieted down big time and toned down the raspyness. It actually sounded like a 350Z with an exhaust from inside the car. But I think the packing in the muffler is starting to go out as the car sounds like its starting to get louder and the rasp is starting to come back.
SloRice is offline  
Old Jul 15, 2009, 07:21 AM
  #4  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (17)
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Flemington, NJ
Posts: 2,850
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hmm
Rez90 is offline  
Old Jul 15, 2009, 08:18 AM
  #5  
Evolving Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 211
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
does this restrict flow in anyway?
casual is offline  
Old Jul 15, 2009, 11:18 AM
  #6  
Evolved Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (68)
 
BluEVOIX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: IL
Posts: 1,962
Thanks: 0
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
I run Buschur's bullet muffler setup in place of the test pipe - where you have your larger muffler. It fits with zero modifications to heat shields, and I even have a larger aluminum drive shaft stuffed under there.

Now I wasn't looking for a super quiet exhaust... so I just have his SD section portioned out for a JDM IX rear. But you could easily run another muffler like you did in the back with it as well.

I'd imagine it would be a pretty quiet exhaust. Even though you don't like the Bullet mufflers as much... they do a good job at shutting the car up. And can be a basically bolt on affair for anyone with a buschur catback that wants quieter.

I ran the same ^ canister style magnaflow in the back for a while and after a while it ends up being loud. Without a stock framed turbo it loses its tone too and can be raspy.

The bullet / SD setup is quieter than their standard canister (larger) magnaflow setup. And to be honest is the best sounding I've heard out of many with larger turbo's etc.

But I've run JUST their SD rear section as well. No muffler in the middle... talk about loud... sheesh! Sounds good IMO. But it's definitely loud.

So like you I've tried some variations... but I am no where near as sensitive about noise as you are.
I highly doubt the SD / bullet setup would be more quiet than the magnaflow. The magnaflow is larger and with more sound deadening material packing. The SD is just a resonator and the Bullet barely has any packing in it. The Magnaflow you had probably had the material in it already burnt out, but I never ran my car with SD / Bullet or just a single magnaflow so I can only assume.

The problem with the fitment differences of the bullet and a magnaflow is the bullets edges curve in. So its diameter only lasts to about 10 inches in length while the magnaflow is a full 14 inch length case. This extra length at the ends might cause a problem with the sheild but I cant say for sure. Eventually my magnaflow might burn out but I'm going to enjoy this system untill it does.



Originally Posted by casual View Post
does this restrict flow in anyway?
No it does not because all the mufflers are straight flow through with a perforated internal tube. Its basically a 3" tube inside the muffler with holes around the wall to allow sound to go in and get muffled while the exhaust gas just passes straight through.


perforated core:
BluEVOIX is offline  
Old Jul 15, 2009, 11:36 AM
  #7  
Evolving Member
iTrader: (5)
 
metal4all6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lansdale, PA
Posts: 160
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting. I have the Buschur TBE with bullet muffler and HFC. I want to get rid of the HFC, but donít want my car to become much louder. If I put a bullet muffler where the HFC is, would this be about on par with my setup now in terms of loudness? Thanks
metal4all6 is offline  
Old Jul 15, 2009, 11:44 AM
  #8  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (90)
 
06MREvo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 4,800
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Very interesting setup...

Right now I have the QTP cutout downpipe and Buschur HFC with a Buschur cat back and Bullet muffler...

Its hard to tell by the pictures but do you think there would be fitment issues with my QTP downpipe if I decided to take my HFC out and put in this Magnaflow muffler??
06MREvo is offline  
Old Jul 15, 2009, 11:56 AM
  #9  
Evolving Member
iTrader: (26)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Clearwater,FL -or- Seneca Falls, NY
Posts: 335
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
where did you buy this and how much was it?
3" inlet Magnaflow muffler 6" diameter, 14" case length, 20" overall length

Thanks in advance.

edit .. was it this one?
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...e=main&id=8025

Last edited by vletnguyen; Jul 15, 2009 at 12:03 PM.
vletnguyen is offline  
Old Jul 15, 2009, 12:08 PM
  #10  
Evolving Member
iTrader: (26)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Clearwater,FL -or- Seneca Falls, NY
Posts: 335
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
also, OP do you gave cams in your car?
my exhaust is loud at idle from the rpm's dipping and rising.
vletnguyen is offline  
Old Jul 15, 2009, 12:20 PM
  #11  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Asmodeus6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 772
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluEVOIX View Post
I highly doubt the SD / bullet setup would be more quiet than the magnaflow. The magnaflow is larger and with more sound deadening material packing. The SD is just a resonator and the Bullet barely has any packing in it. The Magnaflow you had probably had the material in it already burnt out, but I never ran my car with SD / Bullet or just a single magnaflow so I can only assume.

I don't doubt it was toasty. But it went from a really nice sounding exhaust to louder than hell when I dumped the stock turbo. And it just pretty much stayed loud from that point forward.

The bullet / SD is a nice compromise IMO. It is still loud at idle, and pretty loud at WOT. And with a non-stock frame turbo on the car, you need something else to knock the rasp out of it other than just a single muffler. Again, it's just my opinion. But I can deal with a little noise, as long as it doesn't sound horrible.

The standard magnaflow droned like... omfg on the highway, even on the stock turbo. This setup does not... even with the larger turbo. Well, it does, just nowhere near as loud.

My guess is two of the standard magnaflows is probably twice as quiet. But they don't seem to last very long if mine did indeed burn out. And by putting one right up there on the down pipe... I really don't see that lasting very long either.

It's still a good idea for all the people who get hassled by cops on a regular basis!
Asmodeus6 is offline  
Old Jul 15, 2009, 12:23 PM
  #12  
Evolving Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Evo8luva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chicago burbs'
Posts: 273
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
good stuff, we need to meet up sometime and compare your exhaust vs mine, full 3" with a magnaflow in the back and 2 resonators.
Evo8luva is offline  
Old Jul 15, 2009, 12:26 PM
  #13  
Evolved Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (68)
 
BluEVOIX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: IL
Posts: 1,962
Thanks: 0
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by metal4all6 View Post
Interesting. I have the Buschur TBE with bullet muffler and HFC. I want to get rid of the HFC, but donít want my car to become much louder. If I put a bullet muffler where the HFC is, would this be about on par with my setup now in terms of loudness? Thanks
I dont know. It might or might not. But your chances are closer if you put a magnaflow in there.

Originally Posted by 06MREvo View Post
Very interesting setup...

Right now I have the QTP cutout downpipe and Buschur HFC with a Buschur cat back and Bullet muffler...

Its hard to tell by the pictures but do you think there would be fitment issues with my QTP downpipe if I decided to take my HFC out and put in this Magnaflow muffler??
I cant say for sure. It depends on how long your downpipe is exactly. The muffler case diameter is 6" and the case length is 14". Check to see if those demensions work with your setup.

Originally Posted by vletnguyen View Post
where did you buy this and how much was it?
3" inlet Magnaflow muffler 6" diameter, 14" case length, 20" overall length

Thanks in advance.

edit .. was it this one?
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...e=main&id=8025
That is exactly it. I bought mine from summitracing, I think the price there was 77-90 dollars depending if you want the polished or satin finish.

Originally Posted by vletnguyen View Post
also, OP do you gave cams in your car?
my exhaust is loud at idle from the rpm's dipping and rising.
I do not have cams in my car. All I have in power modifications are:

-Swain coated megan o2-housing
-Turbo back exhaust
-Boost controller
-cone filter
-tune
BluEVOIX is offline  
Old Jul 15, 2009, 12:36 PM
  #14  
Evolved Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (68)
 
BluEVOIX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: IL
Posts: 1,962
Thanks: 0
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
I don't doubt it was toasty. But it went from a really nice sounding exhaust to louder than hell when I dumped the stock turbo. And it just pretty much stayed loud from that point forward.

The bullet / SD is a nice compromise IMO. It is still loud at idle, and pretty loud at WOT. And with a non-stock frame turbo on the car, you need something else to knock the rasp out of it other than just a single muffler. Again, it's just my opinion. But I can deal with a little noise, as long as it doesn't sound horrible.

The standard magnaflow droned like... omfg on the highway, even on the stock turbo. This setup does not... even with the larger turbo. Well, it does, just nowhere near as loud.

My guess is two of the standard magnaflows is probably twice as quiet. But they don't seem to last very long if mine did indeed burn out. And by putting one right up there on the down pipe... I really don't see that lasting very long either.

It's still a good idea for all the people who get hassled by cops on a regular basis!
Oh I some how missed the part that you went bigger turbo...

This setup has absolutely no drone even up to about 80 cruise on the highway. But after that it starts becomming more audible.

Originally Posted by Evo8luva View Post
good stuff, we need to meet up sometime and compare your exhaust vs mine, full 3" with a magnaflow in the back and 2 resonators.
No problem, just shoot me a PM when your free this week because I'm on vacation. I actually wanted to go to the track today at Great Lakes Dragaway but my 2 friends had to bail out for good reasons. One had his turbo blow on his 2001 Audi s4 wagon last night and the other with the 01 Cobra has to go to a Wake.
BluEVOIX is offline  
Old Jul 15, 2009, 12:45 PM
  #15  
Evolving Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Evo8luva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chicago burbs'
Posts: 273
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PM sent
Evo8luva is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Project Buschur double Magnaflow Quiet Exhaust


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.