Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Car won't go into gear.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2011, 10:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car won't go into gear.

I floored it in 2nd gear and tried to shift into 3rd at redline but it just would not go.
Pulled over, turned the car off then back on and it would not go into any gear and the pedal felt soggy and pulsating. Turned the car off again, put it in 2nd, and drove the car home. Got into my driveway and it worked like normal so I put it into 1st gear. Once I took it out of 1st gear in my driveway, problem started again and would not go into any gear.

I replaced the slave cylinder and bled it out. No luck.

My question is: Should I try to replace the Master cylinder first before I drop the whole transmission out of the car?

Has anyone had this happen to them? If so what was the problem?

Thanks,

John

Last edited by playmajohn; Mar 19, 2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what kind of clutch do you have? how many miles? and does it go into gear when the car is off?
Old Mar 19, 2011, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by suby2evo
what kind of clutch do you have? how many miles? and does it go into gear when the car is off?
ACT XD Clutch ~10,000 miles on clutch replaced 1 year ago. yes it goes into gear when it is off.

I would like to add I have not lost or leaked any brake fluid.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 01:31 PM
Evolving Member

I would bleed the clutch lines and maybe even flush the fluids before dropping the tranny. You want to do every little thing you can before you go down that road.

Good luck.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 02:42 PM

2 things may be wrong here, just by your description your trans/clutch could be just as simple as re-aligning the clutch, could not, thats is the pulsating. the spongy feeling can be bad lines, slave, release levers etc. Either way dropping the trans is the only way of sure diagnosis.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:01 AM

I ran into this problem today (sounds like). Wouldn't go into any gear.

Does the car try to move when you try to put it into gear? Mine would try to move when I would try to put it into gear. No grinding or studdering or anything like that (other than low RPM). Checking what I can. No external problems noted so far, no leaks or anything like that. Don't have the tool to remove the fill plug on the transmission to check the fluid level there. I'm hopeing it's just a clutch pedal adjustment.

I'll let you know what I find out. Suggestions on what to try are continually appreicated folks.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 06:59 PM

Spent all day running through the Helms manual and checking everything I could out without disassembling the clutch and transmission. Didn't find anything out of spec or any leaks or anything that would lead me to believe there is a problem. After getting the car to go into gear with the engine off I was able to drive it around the neighborhood and to the store. Shifts are smooth, no grinding, no odd noises, nothing to indicate anything is wrong with the transmission or clutch. Going to replace the fluids (about that time anyway) and see what happens from here I guess.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 105 Likes on 84 Posts
hmm im baffled.. let us know..
Old Apr 19, 2011, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Drop tranny its the TOB clip its either off or barely on.you can look through inspection hole with a flashlight.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

Finally got my car back after a new master cylinder, slave cylinder, 2 bottles of brake fluid, speed bleeder, $600 of shop labor to pull the transmission, and new clutch, pressure plate, and TOB.

Turns out a spring popped out of my ACT clutch.

Last edited by playmajohn; Jul 25, 2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by playmajohn
Finally got my car back after a new master cylinder, slave cylinder, 2 bottles of brake fluid, speed bleeder, $600 of shop labor to pull the transmission, and new clutch, pressure plate, and TOB.

Turns out a spring popped out of my ACT clutch.
damn that sux dude at least you got it running now
Old Aug 18, 2011, 06:15 AM

Sorry about your luck. An ACT I had in a car a few years ago gave me the same problems. I received a replacement free of charge! I would have ate the labor though if not for doing it myself. The replacement worked flawlessly for my next 70,000 miles. The current owner is still driving on it.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:29 AM

Hello I came across that same problem like 2 months ago.. I was crusing in NJ at normal speed and i get a red light, so normally everyone would put the car on neutrol. When the light turn green my car wouldn't go into any gears at all!!! anyways after a few things i did, the car doesn't take 5th gear at all On or off..
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:48 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by miketurbo06
Hello I came across that same problem like 2 months ago.. I was crusing in NJ at normal speed and i get a red light, so normally everyone would put the car on neutrol. When the light turn green my car wouldn't go into any gears at all!!! anyways after a few things i did, the car doesn't take 5th gear at all On or off..
You're probably better off starting your own thread. Your problem is completely different.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 02:56 PM

i dont think they have slave cyl, but could it be related to that?

Quick Reply: Car won't go into gear.