Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo IV ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2011, 01:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo IV ticking noise

Gentlemen,
Hello from Japan again. Thank you so much for your help on my clutch issue. Everyone was right on the money with the issue.

The next problem I have is the annoying ticking coming from the engine. I have read every post i could find on this, but really need some help. .

from reading others posts, it seems like a couple of things: rod bearing or dead lifter(s).

Mitsu over here in Japan wants Y45,000 just to look at it (around $500). I hope I can narrow the problem down with all of your advice.

when its cold, it ticks. when it gets hot the ticking gets less, but is still there. I can rev it up when its hot and it ticks like crazy, then when it comes back down to idle, it sometimes goes completely away or barly noticable. then sometimes it is always there. I tried the ol "screwdriver to the ear" trick and its really hard to tell where its coming from. it most of the time sounds like its coming from near the injectors, then sometimes around where the tit is that goes to my oil catch can.

the sould is rev specific. more revs, the louder and faster the tick. And there seems to be a buring smell or something when im driving. It could be oil I spilled down on the engine when I replaced the leaking valve cover gasket 2 days ago, but i have drove alot since then and it still smells.

i am running Amsoil 20w50 and have flushed the engine 2x since I got the clutch problem fixed.

Here are some stats if this may help:
oil pressure at idle: a little under 2 bar
fuel pressure at idle: a little under 3 bar
ign timing at idle: 12 degrees
inj duty at idle: 1.4 - 1.5

idle is around 950 rpms.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 09:03 AM

i had a ticking noise also and it saounds like the same noise your describing. i had a buddy of mine check it out who also owns an evo. he said its more than likley loose lifters.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

Lifters

It is most defiantly bad or wore out lifters. Its very common in 4g63 cause at idle there is not enough oil psi to keep the lifters full of oil and they get loud.... thats why AFTER you rev the car and oil psi rises the noise gets quieter cause they fill back up. I would replace lifters for sure. You can get GSC Non-Tick lifters which is what i run or JAM Zero-Tick lifters for around $170. The process is really simple with a small pry bar or screwdriver takes about 45min to 1hr to change all 16.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 01:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but did you get it fixed?

Was it lifter problem?