Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

P0300, P0303 Problems / Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2011, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P0300, P0303 Problems / Need Advice | FIXED! (thanks j.erk)

Hello,

I bought a 2006 lancer evolution mr and all was well for about a month. Then the SES light came on. I got the code pulled and it was p0303 at first. I had it cleared and it took about 3 weeks for it to come back. Then I had the code pulled again and it was P0300 I had it cleared again and it came back 2 weeks later. My car has WORKS tr-340 package installed which includes:

-WORKS Brain Flash P2 ECU upgrade properly tuned for optimum drivability and performance
-WORKS High-Flow drop-in air filter
-WORKS Aperture bored throttle body
-WORKS 269 Power Cams* (Cosworth cams* for EVO IX applications)
-WORKS Exhale 76mm thermal coated DP (Downpipe)
-WORKS Exhale 76mm resonated IP (Intermediate Pipe)
-WORKS Exhale 76mm ABM (Axle Back Muffler)

and i also have:

Perrin front mount intercooler
niesel upper and lower intercooler pipes

Anyway, I bought this car used with 23k miles. It now has 25k miles. It was in PERFECT shape. Everything was clean. It still runs great by the way... No problems boosting, it doesn't sound like its misfiring or anything so I'm quite puzzled. But I'm even more puzzled after emailing WORKS with my situation and them telling me that it could possibly be the spark plugs but more than likely it is the transfercase or transmission wearing down... I didn't even know those 2 things could relate to this code. I got some new plugs and will be putting them in soon. The car does have a rough idle but I was told that the cams were to blame for that. Do you guys have any idea what the problem could be? Could it really be the transfercase or transmission wearing down?

Thanks a lot!

EDIT - J.erk helped me fix this. It ended up being a bad fuel injector. Thanks!

Last edited by PepsiGuy; May 16, 2011 at 09:45 PM.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Usually on the IX's it is not drivetrain harmonics. More likely fuel or timing/mivec advance in the tune or an ignition related issue

When does the code trigger?
Idling?
Driving?
Old Apr 5, 2011, 11:52 AM

Hey thanks for the reply. Well that's a relief! When they told me that my heart dropped. The code triggered one day when i had just pulled out of my driveway and then the other triggered when i was a stopped at a stop sign and the other I'm not sure but it was shortly after i pulled out of my driveway too.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds like during low idle/throttle situations. First things I would do is change plugs. I may even swap coils to see if it follows from a p0303 which is cyl 3 to another cyl. This could give you an indication of a bad coil.

From there if its still having issues I would look to your fuel, timing, and mivec maps. Large gaps between cells in these maps, to much idle timing , and/or too much mivec advance can all throw missfire codes.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 12:05 PM

Yeah that's what it seems like to me too. I ordered the plugs and a new spark plug cover too from amsperformance and I did receive them so I'll try getting them in today. After I change the plugs I will have the code cleared and see if it comes back. If it does come back (which I'm sure it will because I have the worst luck) then I will swap the coils as you recommended and see if the code follows the coil.

What do you mean by looking into the fuel? I started filling up at Maverick instead of one of the local stores after i got the first code, apparently it didn't remedy the situation. I live in a small town so there isn't too many choices. I think we have a terribles, 76, maverick, and then just some small local ones. I have been putting 91 into it. Also, the guy I purchased it from told me he never got any Service Engine Soon lights. I'm still in contact with the guy and he still sticks to that story. I think he's honest so I'm not sure why the code would just start plaguing me.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PepsiGuy
Yeah that's what it seems like to me too. I ordered the plugs and a new spark plug cover too from amsperformance and I did receive them so I'll try getting them in today. After I change the plugs I will have the code cleared and see if it comes back. If it does come back (which I'm sure it will because I have the worst luck) then I will swap the coils as you recommended and see if the code follows the coil.

What do you mean by looking into the fuel? I started filling up at Maverick instead of one of the local stores after i got the first code, apparently it didn't remedy the situation. I live in a small town so there isn't too many choices. I think we have a terribles, 76, maverick, and then just some small local ones. I have been putting 91 into it. Also, the guy I purchased it from told me he never got any Service Engine Soon lights. I'm still in contact with the guy and he still sticks to that story. I think he's honest so I'm not sure why the code would just start plaguing me.
I mean the actual mapping for fuel, timing, and mivec in the ECU. Your car has a works flash this code can be related to improper tuning
Old Apr 5, 2011, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
I mean the actual mapping for fuel, timing, and mivec in the ECU. Your car has a works flash this code can be related to improper tuning
Oh okay, sorry for the confusion. I really don't know much about cars.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

No sweat man your in good place. There is a *** load of information on this site. Pretty much any thing you can run into with these cars someone has seen before.

Do the plug/coil thing then look to consulting a tuner on the rest of it. Worse comes to wores the whole damn P0300 code routine can be disabled in the ECU
Old Apr 5, 2011, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Where in Nevada? Luke and I will be in Vegas on sunday at Dynojet. I can turn the code off then if you want and even retune the car if need be.

aaron
Old Apr 5, 2011, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Where in Nevada? Luke and I will be in Vegas on sunday at Dynojet. I can turn the code off then if you want and even retune the car if need be.

aaron
Aaron, I'm an hour away from reno and about 386 miles away from Vegas. Would turning off the code be the correct solution for this? I would really like to make sure there is nothing wrong before disabling the code.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

To disable the code for P0300 is ok, I have also heard the harmonics from the t case can trip this code.

For P0303 I would not think so. I have seen other posts that it could be plugs or injector going bad. You could swap your injectors around and see if you get at P0301, P0302, etc. to see if it an injector.

Good luck.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ode-p0303.html

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...inder-4-a.html
Old Apr 5, 2011, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

I have never seen the misfire code come on for a misfire in a Mitsu, if it did it was probably a mistake in the ECU. I turn them off routinely because of this. What I would suggest is if meeting up isnt an option getting a cable and I can do it remotely as well.

Aaron
Old Apr 5, 2011, 03:16 PM

I have never seen the misfire code come on for a misfire in a Mitsu, if it did it was probably a mistake in the ECU. I turn them off routinely because of this. What I would suggest is if meeting up isnt an option getting a cable and I can do it remotely as well.

Aaron
Hmmm, interesting. I've also read that cams can sometimes cause the code? What type of cable would I need for you to do it remotely? and how much would you charge me? Thanks!
Old Apr 5, 2011, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

Evoscan 1.3 or 2.0 and ECUFlash. PM sent on pricing.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 08:53 PM

Evoscan 1.3 or 2.0 and ECUFlash. PM sent on pricing.
PM'd. Sorry for sending 2.

I put the new spark plugs in tonight and cleared the code. Only time will tell.

Thanks for the help/advice guys.

Quick Reply: P0300, P0303 Problems / Need Advice