Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Good choice for a clutch?

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2011, 10:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good choice for a clutch?

I'm planning on doing my clutch once I get myself a beater just because the Exedy OEM replacement can't handle the power I'm putting down anymore (I guess 2 years is almost enough for it). Right now, I'm looking around for a good clutch, something stage 2 maybe.

So far, I checked out the ACT HDSS. Heard some good things then heard some bad. Biggest bad is high RPM lockout. I'm already getting this lockout from my current clutch and no, it is not fun. It feels like you're missing but really, the clutch just won't let you in. Then I heard if you broke it in correctly, it won't lock you out. Don't know what to believe...

Spec stage 2+ was another good one I've heard of. Kevlar disc, don't know much about them but would like to try it out. Then I heard a few having problems with their clutch and how customer support sucks at supporting you.

Competition clutch stage 3 is another one I'm looking at. It has a kevlar disc and is cheap. Maybe too cheap. I don't know about these as the price is cheaper than the ACT and Spec clutch kits. It just makes me fishy. Want to know if anyone is running this setup and can chime in.

So far, all the other good brand clutches are twin disc, which I kind of want to avoid. Since this car is daily driven, I want to drive it just fine. Not the on and off of a twin disc. Also, how much better/worse is it to drive around the city with a kevlar disc? I heard you have to get on it a few times so that it doesn't glaze. Would really like some input on kevlars as I'm pretty interested in them.
Old May 6, 2011, 10:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm running the comp clutch stage 3. And I really like it. The clutch feel is similar to stock. Which I wanted. I went with a act streetlite flywheel and I had to relearn how to drive the car. I would have stayed with the stock flywheel. But I've put about 2k on the clutch and so far so good. Oh and I went with a oem TOB instead of the TOB that came with the clutch kit. I also heard the customer service for comp clutch is very good and helpful.
Old May 7, 2011, 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the info on the Competition clutch. Anyone else have experience with any of these 3 clutches or any other brand? Also looking at the Exedy stage 1 kit with the 402-lb tq capacity and currently reading the description.

No steel back is required which can cause high RPM “lockout” and/or synchro damage.
How true is this?
Old May 7, 2011, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I've got an ACT XTSS with a Streetlite flywheel and I love it! It grabs good, pedal feel is good, and I haven't had any issues with lockout! I also heard that the ACTs will last 50K plus miles!
Old May 8, 2011, 01:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I've had the Competition Stage 3 clutch on my Evo IX for a little less than a month now and around 700 miles. I had it put in with the stock flywheel. So far, pedal pressure actually feels a bit lighter than the stock setup, but you have to be careful when going from a stop, if you like to slip clutches a ton, this is not the clutch for you. Its not hard to get the thing to start stinking up your cabin if you know what I mean . Anyways, it grabs pretty hard at first, there's a 500 mile break-in period where you stay out of boost and its recommended that you do mostly city driving. Hope that helps.
Old May 8, 2011, 02:07 AM

I have an ACT in my eclipse, when it locked out the one time i thought my clutch was done. felt like it was stuck in neutral and the pedal felt much softer. went away after i jiggled the shifter around
Old May 8, 2011, 07:18 AM
Evolving Member

I have a competition twin, which I know isn't one you were looking at but I will the customer service at Competition is VERY good. Talk to Dan if you call them.
As far as ACT clutches, your main concern should be street disc or puck. The puck clutches seem to have less lockout issues. I have been thinking about switching back to an ACT for my next clutch job as I have 20k miles on my Comp twin.
Old May 8, 2011, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

I caved in and jumped on the Exedy Twin Bandwagon.
Old May 8, 2011, 06:05 PM
Account Disabled

Spec clutchs are pretty good had a stage 3 put on my cobalt ss really good clutch pressure nothing to make your leg die. Only real thing was as with all clutches is the 3000-5000 breakin. Clutch had 30k on it on 400+whp and griped hard can't stress that enough friend didn't care for it but I loved it a bit on the higher end tho for other clutch opts
Old May 8, 2011, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exedy Twin is a great clutch for a daily driver...IMO
Old May 8, 2011, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

I had the Spec stage 3 on my Evo VIII and loved it. The pedal effort was LIGHT and it had great feel. Very, very nice, and held my 380whp no problem. I'll probably be putting one on my IX when it needs one.
Old May 8, 2011, 07:28 PM

exedy twin (:
Old May 8, 2011, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

I've heard about the Exedy twin disc being a nice daily but it's still a twin disc. Isn't it an on and off thing? Like you just can smoothly engage it and smoothly take off from a red light. I know a ton of guys here run this clutch so I want to know from them.
Old May 9, 2011, 03:15 PM

My Exedy STG 2 Four puck just 5h!t the bed. Cracks all the way through the hub, chunks missing off 3 pads. Brutal.
Old May 9, 2011, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

Ouch. Makes me not want to get a puck even more now.
Bump because I want to know who can answer my question on the Exedy Twin.