Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Pulling WG line off for max boost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2011, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Pulling WG line off for max boost

Has anyone done this before on a Ix turbo? IF so what boost levels did you see max and at redline? Thanks for any info.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 11:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is usually only done to diagnose boost problems such as a faulty wg. This allows the turbo to spool to as buzz light year would say, "To infinity... AND BEYOND". Basically if ur planning on doing this as a quick way of upping your boost, don't expect your turbo and or motor to last very long.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I think a lot more people more or less run this way then you may think.

I have my Halman fully maxed out which should be completely blocking all flow to the wastegate and venting it to atmosphere, basically the line is disconnected.

Anybody running a 3-port and 100% duty cycle is also running with the line essentially disconnected.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To help with the OPs question , My 9 turbo made 32 peak psi falling to 20 around 7k.
The car made 430WTQ this way which IMO is unsafe on a stock block.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Even at 100% on an electric boost controller and even on a mbc with it all the way out the wg will still operate. If u disconnect that line the wg will no longer open no matter how much boost it sees.

Getsideways, was that done on a dyno and in what gear? Of course if you boosted in second, third, then fourth gear boost is going to get higher and higher as opposed to a one gear pull on a dyno since the turbo is spooling faster in each gear since it has already spooled in prevvious gears. There's a thread somewhere that a members wg went out and didn't open and he hit like 47psi.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

My gm 3 port was set at 100% wgdc and would only boost 26psi until I reallized I had a faulty harness. Once it was replaced I took it for a spin and hit 42psi before I shut it down but man did my car feel like a rocket.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by awdordie
Even at 100% on an electric boost controller and even on a mbc with it all the way out the wg will still operate. If u disconnect that line the wg will no longer open no matter how much boost it sees.
100% duty cycle one a good 3-port blocks all airflow to the wastegate and vents the wastegate side to atmosphere. It is exactly like dissconnecting the wastegate line.

Same for ball-spring style MBC. It locks the ball on the seat, fully blocking airflow to the wastegate. There is also a bleed hole on the outletside, there by venting the wastegate to atmosphere.

Exhaust backpressure will still force the wastegate open. Only way to prevent that is to lock the wasteate using some mechanical means. This is when you will overspin the turbo by a large margin and likely cause damage to the turbo.

This is also why higher pressure actuators work, they offer more spring pressure to resist being blown open.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 07:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 740 Likes on 572 Posts
To the OP, what are you trying to accomplish here?
Old Jun 21, 2011, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
I'm wondering this as well.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dallas J
He is obviously trying to blow his car up
Old Jun 21, 2011, 09:52 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by RevMoto
He is obviously trying to blow his car up
Haha, lets see if we cant help prevent that
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

^according to most others in this thread it wont hurt anything.

To 03white gsr sorry but you are wrong. In no way will the wastegate open with it being disconnected. For one, the wg opens the opposite direction the spring collapses, so there fore without the wg vacuum line the exhaust pressure would have to pull the spring open before the wg opens, that's why you can adjust them for more preload and get more boost. The pressure seen in the vacuum line to the wg is what pushes the spring together and allows the wg to open
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:27 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by awdordie
^according to most others in this thread it wont hurt anything.

To 03white gsr sorry but you are wrong. In no way will the wastegate open with it being disconnected. For one, the wg opens the opposite direction the spring collapses, so there fore without the wg vacuum line the exhaust pressure would have to pull the spring open before the wg opens, that's why you can adjust them for more preload and get more boost. The pressure seen in the vacuum line to the wg is what pushes the spring together and allows the wg to open
Huh . I dont think anyone here said it would be ok, and it definitely WOULD NOT be ok.

On to your second point, yes the WG can get pushed open by boost. In fact, it generally does get pushed open a small amount in even stock setups. Hence the reason for higher force WG actuators or increasing the preload within the stock adjustment range.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
vacuum line to wastegate actuator disconnected = flapper stays shut until enough exhaust pressure exist to overpower the spring in the wga holding the flapper shut

boost controller connected to wastegate actuator but turned 100% up = not the same thing, but essentially will try to keep all pressure from the wastegate actuator as best as it can.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

And his next thread is "Help me diagnose, why my Turbo blew"

Quick Reply: Pulling WG line off for max boost