Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel bearing

Hi guys, the issue has been getting worse over time and now that I have my daily driver back in action the evo is taking a garage spot to get torn down for some well needed tlc. The problem I am having is a bad wheel bearing howl when turning the wheel left, but when the right side is loaded (wheel turned right) the noise disappears. I am confused as to which bearing to replace and since they are not cheap I don't want to be guessing until I get the right one. I have heard people state that even the rear bearings on a AWD can effect what you hear up front so an input is appreciated!
Old Jun 22, 2011, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Very confusing post. If you're turning right, the left side is loaded, not the right.

In any event, a wheel-bearing that is bad enough to howl could easily have slop. Jack the nose and yank on the wheels. It could very well be obvious.

Note that the loaded/unloaded test is not 100% accurate. Much better to drive in a circle around a friend and have them listen if you can't figure it out by yanking on wheels. Drive the circle in both directions, of course.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Iowa999
Very confusing post. If you're turning right, the left side is loaded, not the right.

In any event, a wheel-bearing that is bad enough to howl could easily have slop. Jack the nose and yank on the wheels. It could very well be obvious.

Note that the loaded/unloaded test is not 100% accurate. Much better to drive in a circle around a friend and have them listen if you can't figure it out by yanking on wheels. Drive the circle in both directions, of course.
Sorry if it was confusing at all, I am going to jack it up tonight and feel for slop on either side and will report back with findings..
Old Jun 22, 2011, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Mine makes a similar noise. Problem is is I've had the car up in the air and it didn't move a bit. I replaced my axles thinking that might have been it (it's kind of hard to pinpoint where the noise is coming from).

When I accelerate slowly turning it almost feels like a rubbing/grinding and has a very slight noise (which is not there all the time. I'm just wondering if you're experiencing the same problem.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by SRTRaceR04
Mine makes a similar noise. Problem is is I've had the car up in the air and it didn't move a bit. I replaced my axles thinking that might have been it (it's kind of hard to pinpoint where the noise is coming from).

When I accelerate slowly turning it almost feels like a rubbing/grinding and has a very slight noise (which is not there all the time. I'm just wondering if you're experiencing the same problem.
No, no rubbing or grinding noises. It has the stereotypical wheel bearing hum that you get from a failing bearing, but like I said I have to get it up in the air to feel for slop.. So I will report back when I get it over the the shop tonight
Old Jun 22, 2011, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Best way is to put it on a lift, have someone accel slightly and use a long screwdriver or even a mechanics stethascope on the knuckle area.

Good Luck with it.

My finding is that when one goes the other is not far behind (within 20,000 miles for me)