Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Let's really talk exhaust manifolds for a bit, long runner vs short runner

Old Aug 4, 2011, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's really talk exhaust manifolds for a bit, long runner vs short runner

There seems to be a few schools of thought surrounding what makes for a better one. However, this is not you're cast versus ramhorn debate, instead I'd really like some insight as to long runners versus short runners.

Lately, I've been seeing a resurgence of long runner exhaust manifolds, many of which to me don't seem as though they'd be very efficient. The most recent example I can think of is what CBRD just did on a car. Yet it does make fairly decent power.

However, classic thought is that you want to have a fairly short runner manifold to take advantage of the exhaust heat and pulses to spool the turbo fast. Many of the other big boys have been doing this for a long time, John Shepard being the foremost in my mind.

So the big questions are, is it better to run a long runner manifold, or better for a short runner manifold, under what conditions would you preference one over the other, and why?

This is not a shop vs. shop debate, so let's keep this friendly and intelligent please. Thank you
Old Aug 4, 2011, 05:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by thebluesky
There seems to be a few schools of thought surrounding what makes for a better one. However, this is not you're cast versus ramhorn debate, instead I'd really like some insight as to long runners versus short runners.

Lately, I've been seeing a resurgence of long runner exhaust manifolds, many of which to me don't seem as though they'd be very efficient. The most recent example I can think of is what CBRD just did on a car. Yet it does make fairly decent power.

However, classic thought is that you want to have a fairly short runner manifold to take advantage of the exhaust heat and pulses to spool the turbo fast. Many of the other big boys have been doing this for a long time, John Shepard being the foremost in my mind.

So the big questions are, is it better to run a long runner manifold, or better for a short runner manifold, under what conditions would you preference one over the other, and why?

This is not a shop vs. shop debate, so let's keep this friendly and intelligent please. Thank you
it all depends on what your looking to get. this topic has been discussed MANY MANY MANY times before. short runner manifolds really help with low end and mid range. ex. if you auto-x then you might be after a short runner manifold.

a long runner or equal length runner helps out mid range and top end. these manifolds are great for a drag setup. OR if your one of those people that just wanna see the absolute max hp number.

and as far as your comments about the shops. i will keep them out BUT if your in the market for one you have to do your homework
Old Aug 4, 2011, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Alright , you've answered the question in part as to the condition to use them, but really without any elaboration as to a why or how.

Partially in rebuttal, you say that the long runner design is preference to big power, yet cars are making big power without them. Are you saying that a say 800hp evo running an equal length manifold could potentially make more power by using a longer runner exhaust manifold, and if so how?