Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Wife's BDay present AMS intercooler +?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2011, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Wife's BDay present AMS intercooler +?

So my wife has an Evo IX and wants an upgraded IC for her BDay. I know it's probably not the most efficient use of money, but it's what she wants... Haha, but I was thinking of throwing in a AMS LICP. Since I will have the bumper off already, it probably makes sense to just do it now, no?

As for other mods, she already has a turbo back exhaust. Are there any other cost effective things I should get now while the car is already being worked on?

Also, once these mods are complete, we will get it tuned by a shop, but I want to make sure that I have all the mods that we will ever want before tuning it so as to not waste money tuning it numerous times.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Brian
Old Aug 7, 2011, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like your starting off right! I would probably add a fuel pump before getting tuned, and also a boost gauge and wideband gauge. I would also definitely do the LICP while you have the bumper off doing the intercooler.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd suggest that you consider a BR Race IC with the Garrett 3.8" core. You can always stencil the AMS logo onto the front of it.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

That sounds wise to do the LICP while pulling off the bumper. Heck add a front lower engine mount while you're at it too!
Old Aug 7, 2011, 01:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How about a Manual boost controller?
Old Aug 7, 2011, 02:08 PM

Thanks for the responses guys.

A couple questions/ answers to your responses:

Whats the purpose of the upgraded fuel pump...more consistent fuel delivery?

What is the benefit of the BR race IC over the AMS?

How difficult is it to change the lower engine mount?

Lastly, I'm a little afraid of upping the boost. At least not before we did something like headstuds or whatnot.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 02:14 PM
Evolving Member

lower engine mount is pretty simple to do. About 4-5 bolts (I forget) to remove the member from the car, 3 to remove the mount, and reverse the steps to put it back on. I switched to a blox 'roll stopper' and it rocks. I used to feel the engine moving forwards and backwards during hard acceleration/braking during auto-x. Now it feels solid. You do get a decent amount of vibration in cabin on idle, but nothing more under power.

I really thought the front/lower engine mount, shifter bushings, and binary lowering brackets were three really nice and relatively inexpensive upgrades that really make the driving experience that much better.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 02:40 PM

Thanks for the info
Old Aug 7, 2011, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

LOL... Really??

Originally Posted by sparky
I'd suggest that you consider a BR Race IC with the Garrett 3.8" core. You can always stencil the AMS logo onto the front of it.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

We tested many intercooler cores to find the best performing core available. The super efficient 3.5" thick AMS Intercooler even out flows the competitions 4” core and provides better fitment. With a cross section flow area of 45 inches square this is the largest intercooler on the market that fits without cutting the bumper beam. There are other "more affordable" intercoolers on the market that start out at a 3" thick core that you can upgrade to 3.5" or thicker but the 3.5" STANDARD AMS Intercooler still out performs the competition without any cutting of your bumper!
Old Aug 7, 2011, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by sparky
AMS offers a very quality core, plus has cast end-tanks which are a huge plus. ETS also offers very nice custom-designed cores along with many others on the market. It's too bad Perrin no longer sells theirs since that was always my favorite for the 8/9.

Last edited by Kracka; Aug 7, 2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Scott@AMS
We tested many intercooler cores to find the best performing core available. The super efficient 3.5" thick AMS Intercooler even out flows the competitions 4” core and provides better fitment. With a cross section flow area of 45 inches square this is the largest intercooler on the market that fits without cutting the bumper beam. There are other "more affordable" intercoolers on the market that start out at a 3" thick core that you can upgrade to 3.5" or thicker but the 3.5" STANDARD AMS Intercooler still out performs the competition without any cutting of your bumper!
What core does the AMS intercooler use? Is it a Garrett or custom for AMS etc.. ?
Old Aug 8, 2011, 08:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Kracka
AMS offers a very quality core, plus has cast end-tanks which are a huge plus. ETS also offers very nice custom-designed cores along with many others on the market. It's too bad Perrin no longer sells theirs since that was always my favorite for the 8/9.
Thanks Man!

Here are a couple good threads

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ml#post9443329

and

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ted-equal.html

We have changed the height of cores to be 24x12x3, 24x12x3.5, 24x12x4, 24x12x5. The 3.0" and the 3.5" fit w/o cutting, the 4.0" requires cutting or removal of the bumper beam.

We have the highest flowing and most efficient cores on the market.

Thanks!

Michael
Old Aug 8, 2011, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

I use the ETS 3.5" and am very happy with it. With that said though I don't think you are going wrong with AMS. They have a great quality product (along with Buschur and other top guys on these forums) and won't steer you in the wrong direction when you buy from them. The problem when it comes to FMIC and many other products is you are going to run into bias (sparky) that can lead the less knowledgeable to think that other products are inferior. Just do your research and go with tried and tested products and you should be a happy camper.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

What mods are on the car now and how much power does she want out of it? Kinda hard to recomend stuff without getting a base of what you want.

Quick Reply: Wife's BDay present AMS intercooler +?