Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Power falls off bad around 720 HP

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2011, 09:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Josh - Hog out the current housing
Old Oct 5, 2011, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

1.15 a/r twin doesnt look too big to me. We compared it to Jeff's 1.44 which is definitely size huge (like 50% wider, has to have bolt reliefs).
Old Oct 5, 2011, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ya the problem with the 1.15 is that it's too close to the turbo housing and the bolts and such were too hard ot get in. I know it's crazy and doesn't seem right. But that's what we tried for hours on end.

I called FP and they said nobody has done the 3794HTA in TS configuration yet and I was the first and they really had no tech support for the issues. They also sent wrong fittings thinking they would fit. This was such a pain in the *** to get to work.

Last edited by Joshs EVO; Oct 5, 2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Joshs EVO
Ever since I got the head. That's what we first thought maybe we are getting some kind of weird spring issue or maybe valve float. Maybe mike at AWD can chime in if he sees this and could answer it. I'm no mechanic.

It has the standard springs that come with the BR Stage III head. So whatever come with them is what I've had on there for a while. I got the head in Feb 2009.

What I can tell you is that my sweet driving skills has made the car rap put and bounce off the rev limiter a few times so maybe it damaged them then. Again this is due to my awesome (see crappy) driving skills.
I will go with R/T Ernie. I had a similar issue with my car falling on it's face after 7000rpms. I'm not talking about the powerband nosing over, I'm talking about the curve falling off of a cliff. It was audible through the exhaust note on the dyno. After troubleshooting a few things I found it to be valve float. I switched to GSC Beehives (had BC springs) and this eliminated it.

I'm pretty sure Buschur heads come with Supertech Duals standard which should be plenty of spring, unless they are just worn out due to fatigue.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

sounds like a valve float issue, have you tried to dyno on less boost to see if the power drops off yet. but if you want help from the pros you should really post a dyno graph it will keep everyone from guessing. and you will find your answer quick.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

It defenatly not the cams ive seen kelford 272 make 814 awhp with supporting mods of course
Old Oct 5, 2011, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I have used: Crowers, HKS, Manley, Kiggly's, Supertech, Ferrea and I am sure others I can't recall. Supertech duals have changed rates, unknown to use multiple times. It has, in the past, left me in some pretty **** poor situations. They offer MULTIPLE sets of dual springs, even today. With all that said, the customer service from them has been exceptional AND we currently use Supertech's.

Without a dyno chart/ignition map it's hard for me to actually help. Valve float is for sure an issue in EVO's and is fixed with a good quality spring. Since that is our head on the car and I believe it's been said it's from 2009, I'd say there is a good chance it's springs, I'd replace them with the new Supertech duals we are using, I believe their current spring is the BEST ON THE MARKET.

I have nothing else to give to this thread.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks Dave.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
English uses kiggly and they run 8s every weekend.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 08:29 PM
Former Sponsor

<- Has a set of Kiggly Springs in stock& located in Lakewood in case you forgot.

Shawn's Evo had the same problem before we installed our CNC head with Kiggly's & Kelford 280's.

Old Oct 5, 2011, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks Lucas. I will talk to Tobz to see what he wants to do and I will keep you in mind and the offer you gave me. It would be nice to have them local for a quick turn around.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 07:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Here is a graph from Shawn's car last year. Only changes we made was our CNC head, kiggly springs, kiggly hla, +1mm ferrea valves, kelford cams, 3" upper I/C & ETS 4" core.

Hope this helps
Old Oct 6, 2011, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Kiggly did a nice video of his valve springs in action. They are the best out there, IMHO.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DynoDude55
Here is a graph from Shawn's car last year. Only changes we made was our CNC head, kiggly springs, kiggly hla, +1mm ferrea valves, kelford cams, 3" upper I/C & ETS 4" core.

Hope this helps
Only changes? You added lots of power changing parts.

And to be honest as little as josh's car has spent actually running and driving the last few years I highly doubt his springs are already worn out. But if the supertech duels have been redesigned or changed in 2 years already maybe its the cheapest thing to try first.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by project_skyline
Only changes? You added lots of power changing parts.

And to be honest as little as josh's car has spent actually running and driving the last few years I highly doubt his springs are already worn out. But if the supertech duels have been redesigned or changed in 2 years already maybe its the cheapest thing to try first.
True, I have not driven it much really. Maybe 3000 miles but I doubt that. But I have wrapped it out to the redline so that may damage them and if they are already bad then it would add to the damage that is already there.

Quick Reply: Power falls off bad around 720 HP