Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evolution Evolved- English Racing presents the USDM Auto Evo

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2012, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by evoRS06
Well unfortunately my plan failed in terms of function, but showed me the solution. Aaron, will fill you in on the infamous Jedi knowledge, we gonna be rock'n. Everyone else, we will keep you updated.
Sick. And yes, we have a Jedi on the team...I am not even lying or exaggerating.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What?

Awaiting Perfection. Anything?
Old Feb 15, 2012, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Got the new control strategy finalized last night at around 1130. We'll be trying to destroy the Phase 1 trans this weekend and see where we need to go from here. With the software done, it will be hardware now that we are going to see about.

Aaron
Old Feb 15, 2012, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really have no interest in, but it really is awesome to see you guys work your magic. Impatiently waiting for the results.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Quick update-

Full manual mode is iron'd out so we'll be going to test this tomorrow for failure point. I have finally gotten mine back from the trans builder so I will start busting that out to get it all together and running. We are a little behind schedule from where we were hoping to be but we are still making progress

Auto and sequential mode are the next priorities so we'll be working on that over the next 2 months. We are going to keep things as factory as possible and have also added a new project to the Auto stable, Jeff's Outlander-

It is almost 100% stock right now, save for the Evo/Lancer suspension to get it dropped 5" over stock. Started work on the stock ECU in it last week, have a 4 bar in it, the next step will be a stock Evo8 turbo and eventually cylinder head.

aaron

Last edited by JohnBradley; Feb 19, 2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

^ I want that! Ever since AMS did theirs back in the day, Ive always thought thatd be a sweet conversion to get! Cant wait to see it transform!
Old Feb 19, 2012, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wshihdnevo
^ I want that! Ever since AMS did theirs back in the day, Ive always thought thatd be a sweet conversion to get! Cant wait to see it transform!
Need to find the JDM airtrek front end they used. That would really set it off for sure.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Need to find the JDM airtrek front end they used. That would really set it off for sure.

I almost forgot they used that. When it came back up for sale I told Julie I wanted it so bad!
Old Feb 19, 2012, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

I almost forgot they used that. When it came back up for sale I told Julie I wanted it so bad!
That would have been WAY SICK. To the point of it would have been a worthy reason to sell the Evo if you had to.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

Also got a little bit of tech to add that I had forgot from awhile ago. The stock converter for the Outlander weighs 29.3 pounds and with the lock up deleted it dropped the weight down to 23 pounds. All of this is helping to bring the overall swap weight to break even.

Remember before we had the following going on-

The stock EVO 5 speed weighs 128.2 pounds.
The stock 4 speed auto trans weighs 146 pounds

Auto is up 18 lbs more or less.

Exedy triple is 35.4, the converter was 29.3 with the lockup.

Auto is up 12 lbs more or less.

Lock up out gets us down to 6 lbs extra on the swap not counting trans cooler.

The clutch pedal, clutch plate at the firewall, master cylinder, slave cylinder and lines between them all weight 5.85 lbs.

So now we are basically at a wash on weight with the exception of the trans cooler.

I will weigh the B&M unit and lines tomorrow but I honestly think its within 3-4 lbs of what a manual equipped Evo weighs. There is the shifter base and cable swap but since its in both trans thats almost a wash as well.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

extremely interesting project.

From what we have seen from the DSM auto cars, an automatic drag EVO will set new records soon!
Old Feb 19, 2012, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks. Considering we are around 2 months behind schedule its nice to be making some progress.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that's pretty awesome
Old Feb 20, 2012, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

So the video will be up in the next few days but we definitely are on the right track. Andrew's car went back on the dyno today as promised and we made some initial tune checks to see where we were at. We had lowered the boost last go round since we thought we may have had some slip, but at 24.7psi the car put down 355whp through the auto.

Setup-

S2s
Stock everything internally
SD tune
FP 64mm Red
FIC 1450s
O2 dump and Test pipe dump
Stock cat back

Since we have establised a really close baseline percentage with this stock converter the power would have been around 400whp at this boost level and timing level on 92 octane. The fact that I did this EXACT combo last week in a manual car and did 406 really helps me to validate my thoughts.

Andrew had done 380 at 28psi but we wounded the stock trans when we went to the manual shift portion of the test. So last year we got the trans gone through in our Phase 1 step (not a sales option, merely reference) and reinstalled it. The manual shifting was stilling being a pain in the dick. New strategy definitely has fixed that particular wagon. 1-2 shift, 2-3 shift, slams in the car and no slip. I shifted at 8100 or so and the shift would drop to 5500 in the next gear. Automatics with power behind them "stall" higher as the power goes up so while it doesnt match ratios it was matching the torque level.

Next up was a quick change back to E85. I added 2* of timing (had been 12* at 8k before...purposely low) and left the boost the same. Got the AFRs dialed and the car, again at 24.7psi, jumped to 402whp. A brief electrical issue with the pushbutton starter got dealt with and we jumped to the 1-2/2-3 test again. Again just as if by "magic" the car did what it was told and banged it dirty every shift. We didnt want to push the stock bottom end as it loads up differently than a manual car ever would. Our local track should open the beginning of March and we want to break it there if any where.

Allowing for our 13% rule this puts the car around 450-460whp as a manual, which normally will run 11.2-11.3 at 126 when the stars align. Now that we dont have lockout to worry about and one less gear change the stars should be more in our court than ever. We have some prep to do on Andrew's car, I have mine to finish, but as of right now this is definitely looking viable and DEFINITELY gave us a much needed shot of enthusiasm.

Seems anytime I post about what I want to do and how long I think it should take I need to double it. We might just meet our self imposed March deadline though so stay tuned for track results and the dyno video. I will also get dyno sheets and logs up tomorrow...late night and I wanna go home

thanks

Aaron
Old Feb 20, 2012, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Awesome news Aaron. I didn't quite understand what you said... Now I got to read it . Keep on keeping on!

Quick Reply: Evolution Evolved- English Racing presents the USDM Auto Evo