Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Why do some people remove their oil cooler?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2011, 05:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Why do some people remove their oil cooler?

So i was looking at a friends built evo over the weekend and we happened to notice that it didnt have the stock oil cooler anymore. In fact, it didnt have any kind of oil cooling device
I was just wondering what the advantages/disadvantages are for doing this??
is there a good thread on installing/choosing an oil cooler?

Last edited by bnr34rb26dett; Oct 31, 2011 at 06:15 AM.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 06:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only "advantage" would be a small weight loss...

People remove it because they hurt the stock motor (which contaminates the cooler), and their friends/shops on here tell them than an oil cooler is not needed, because their cars 'run ok' without one.

But, bottom line, street driven Evo's need oil coolers, period. I've monitored temps with and without a cooler-my oil after a single 3rd/4th gear pull without a cooler were 230 degrees in 70 degree ambient temps. With a cooler, 180. 230 is fine, but I'm sure that guys without a cooler are seeing 250++ during tuning sessions and/or hard driving. Simply too hot. You can piece together an oil cooler for 200 bucks.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

But what about in the winter.....Unless the oil coolers have a built in thermostat to restrict flow going to it until it gets hot then I see it hurting the motor in the winter since it's keeping the oil colder and over time I'm sure is putting wear on the bearings and everything else that depends on oil to protect against friction since oil takes longer to get everywhere when its colder/thicker. I had started mine last night when it was very cold and it did not sound pretty at all, after about a full minute the noise was finally gone....I wouldnt want to imagine it taking longer when theres a cooler trying to prevent the oil from getting hotter.

So basically, does the cooler have a thermostat in them? If not then I don't plan on putting one back on....I got the car without one since the previous owner blew the motor.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by My03evo
But what about in the winter.....Unless the oil coolers have a built in thermostat to restrict flow going to it until it gets hot then I see it hurting the motor in the winter since it's keeping the oil colder and over time I'm sure is putting wear on the bearings and everything else that depends on oil to protect against friction since oil takes longer to get everywhere when its colder/thicker. I had started mine last night when it was very cold and it did not sound pretty at all, after about a full minute the noise was finally gone....I wouldnt want to imagine it taking longer when theres a cooler trying to prevent the oil from getting hotter.

So basically, does the cooler have a thermostat in them? If not then I don't plan on putting one back on....I got the car without one since the previous owner blew the motor.
I don't run a thermostat since my car is not a DD. You could add one if you wish. IMO, as long as your oil is hitting 140 or so, you're fine. Cold start performance is dependent on weight. In a winter use Evo, I'd have Rotella 5W40 in it.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I bought a STM Oil Cooler Delete Kit as my first oil cooler was junk due to a blown engine and the 2nd one is now junk as my motor locked up, trashed bearings and bent the crank during it's first start up as a shop installed the thrust bearings backwards. I will install a new oil cooler once I know the motor is in good shape.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by My03evo
Yes, but the stat is not in the cooler. It's in the oil filter adapter.

http://www.lancershop.com/customer/p...&cat=93&page=1

Here is an example of a replacement one just to show what it looks like.

To the OP: people remove them because they either crashed the car on the right front and/or damaged the internals in an engine thus contaminating the cooler with metal.

Last edited by 4RETECH; Oct 31, 2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Oil temps are normally 20* on the hot side of coolant temp. We have monitored with and without and oil cooler and it seems it stays pretty constant. Luke didnt have an oil cooler on his aluminum rod street motor and it went almost 20k before he pulled it (its still together, he switched to the 2.4).

Our 8 second Eclipse starts off with oil temps around 180-190, clicks off a pass, and the oil temps are around 210. It has a solid block with coolant just in the cylinder head.

Oil coolers are needed in my opinion for-

Road racing

Extended street pulls

Solid block motors on the street

Aaron
Old Oct 31, 2011, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm I've seen as high as 220-230 with the stock cooler. That is during tuning or track days though. Generally on the street it doesn't go above 210.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Thats what I am saying though track days are different. It wouldnt surprise me that fuel makes a difference. E85 cars run cooler EGT which normally also means lower CHT and would be lower oil temp. I am putting a temp gauge in my car for its 2012 freshen up so I can have some better data.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The Airtrek has the same engine as an Evo and comes factory without an oil cooler. It even has a different oil filter housing with no ports, so an Evo oil filter housing needs to be fitted to add the oil cooler. I guess this filter housing I have sitting here could be worth something to those of you that don't want to run a cooler.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4RETECH
Yes, but the stat is not in the cooler. It's in the oil filter adapter.

http://www.lancershop.com/customer/p...&cat=93&page=1

Here is an example of a replacement one just to show what it looks like.

To the OP: people remove them because they either crashed the car on the right front and/or damaged the internals in an engine thus contaminating the cooler with metal.
ahh ok, I always wondered what that big hex plug was in the oil filter housing.

and yeah I am currently running 15w40 but changing to the rotella t 5w40 synthetic today or tomorrow, plus I have a couple gallons of it when advance had a sale on it for like 13 bucks each gallon or something
Old Oct 31, 2011, 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

Aaron, what would you consider an extended street pull? Anything more than a 1/4 mile?
Old Oct 31, 2011, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would consider more than 6-7 seconds an extended street pull. Usually those 100 MPH+ runs that we all do in Mexico from time to time
Old Oct 31, 2011, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Chu's Mom
Aaron, what would you consider an extended street pull? Anything more than a 1/4 mile?
up to 30 seconds with over half of that in 5th.

...in mexico or on my personal closed course.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Oil temps are normally 20* on the hot side of coolant temp. We have monitored with and without and oil cooler and it seems it stays pretty constant. Luke didnt have an oil cooler on his aluminum rod street motor and it went almost 20k before he pulled it (its still together, he switched to the 2.4).

Our 8 second Eclipse starts off with oil temps around 180-190, clicks off a pass, and the oil temps are around 210. It has a solid block with coolant just in the cylinder head.

Oil coolers are needed in my opinion for-

Road racing

Extended street pulls

Solid block motors on the street

Aaron
Agreed 100%. We delete a LOT of oil coolers on cars that come in with blown up engines. Biggest reason, cost. Weight savings doesn't even cross our mind, it's the cost of the cooler and the chance of it trapping more crap. I ran a hard blocked 2 liter for a few years, no oil cooler and no water in the block. I also ran an oil temp gauge, NO issues what-so-ever.

You have to be careful what information you use on this site and what information you don't......

Quick Reply: Why do some people remove their oil cooler?