Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

EF3, BB Green or BB BBK?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2011, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EF3, BB Green or BB BBK?

I need a new turbo. I just sold my FP Black and want something smaller with faster spool. The new bb Green is what I really want, but the price is a little high and the wait time too long. The EF3 looks like a great alternative, especially for the price, but I'm not sure about it's overall performance in comparison to the Green. The bb BBK sounds like a great alternative as well, but what about pricing and availability? Love the wealth of options, but I'm having a hard time making up my mind. Looking for suggestions. Should I just bite the bullet and go with the Green? Or should I go with something else? What do you guys suggest? I'm on a stock block 2.0 non-mivec motor with E-85 and supporting mods btw.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 03:02 AM
Former Sponsor

Hey brother, all turbos that you listed are great turbos and can't go wrong with any of them. Oviously the BB units will be more reliable in the long run though. I carry all three if you are interested, shoot me a pm.

I have the DBB Black on my car and love it. I have an EF4 at the shop that will be going one my car to test as I have not ran a EF4 yet. Just to let you know, the EF3 will make more power than either the Green/BBK as it is a larger turbo. More comparable to a Red.

Mikey
Old Nov 4, 2011, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
BB HTA Green hands down. Read what Curt Brown says about the HTA Green if you have any doubts. The wait is worth it
Old Nov 4, 2011, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Yea like Mikey said the EF3 is gonna be larger than the green or bbk. The EF2 seems to really spool quickly tho. Here's some pretty impressive results of the EF2 for the X...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-pump-gas.html

I run the HTA green and it really is a great turbo. If I were in the market right now I would go for a ball bearing model and I think FP is the only one who offers them currently. Not sure if you've seen English's videos of the BB green...makes me wanna send mine in for a rebuild. BB stock frame is the future bro, don't miss out. The price is a bit lofty tho...
Old Nov 4, 2011, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
i just got the 7460R, which is also BB and I've been quite happy with it - I haven't finished tuning, so I'm running extremely rich and down 3psi from the stock turbo and I'm actually making the exact same power, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it does with more boost and fully tuned!
Old Nov 4, 2011, 04:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikey@Spec-Ops
Oviously the BB units will be more reliable in the long run though.
In general I would agree with you here sir, but from what I understand FP's ball bearing center section is proprietary and there's not much feedback out there yet (and nothing long term due to the recent release) so I wouldn't be so quick to lump them in with PTE or Garrett's track record

Originally Posted by Mikey@Spec-Ops
I have an EF4 at the shop that will be going one my car to test as I have not ran a EF4 yet.
Can't wait for your results
Old Nov 4, 2011, 04:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rojo EVO
The EF3 looks like a great alternative, especially for the price, but I'm not sure about it's overall performance in comparison to the Green.
As outlined above our EF3 is a bit larger than the Green, you can find some results here. We have all of the components in stock so we can ship quickly and we offer a 30 day satisfaction guarantee
Old Nov 5, 2011, 11:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ChrisCarey
In general I would agree with you here sir, but from what I understand FP's ball bearing center section is proprietary and there's not much feedback out there yet (and nothing long term due to the recent release) so I wouldn't be so quick to lump them in with PTE or Garrett's track record

Can't wait for your results
Agreed sir, but so far so good on the DBB units.

I'll let you know once the turbo is on the car.Maybe you will get to see it in person and I'll take you for a ride and see if I can scare you!

Mikey
Old Nov 5, 2011, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Lucas ran his DBB Green for 202 road race miles in a single day without issue. Robert agreed that qualified as a torture test since it was seeing sustained EGT for basically the whole track day. Define long term, though, 6 months or a year?
Old Nov 5, 2011, 08:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Can't argue with that, but one has to wonder how many "less reliable" journal bearing units (especially the smaller variations) have done that over the years without issue. I would simply like to see a larger sample set before assigning the reliability of existing ball bearing turbochargers to this proprietary new design.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisCarey
Can't argue with that, but one has to wonder how many "less reliable" journal bearing units (especially the smaller variations) have done that over the years without issue. I would simply like to see a larger sample set before assigning the reliability of existing ball bearing turbochargers to this proprietary new design.
As a direct competitor of Forced Performance, but without a ball bearing model to sell, your repeated veiled suggestion of possible problems with FP's BB turbo line (that haven't happened) is unwarranted, at best. Since you are unfamiliar with the patent pending innovation in the Forced Performance BB turbo center section, let's stick to things closer to home. What failures have you had in your new turbo lines? Tell us about the integrity of the hot side casting?
Old Nov 5, 2011, 10:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by CO_VR4
...your repeated veiled suggestion of possible problems with FP's BB turbo line (that haven't happened) is unwarranted, at best. Since you are unfamiliar with the patent pending innovation in the Forced Performance BB turbo center section, let's stick to things closer to home.
I've received a few PM's to the contrary, a tactic I've heard you are very familiar with... Also, I'm intimately familiar with the "patent pending innovation" you speak of Who knows this product may be exactly what you and the other FP mercenaries make it out to be, but at this point any discussion in regards to longevity is nothing more than speculation due to the relatively small number of units in operation and limited time on the market.

Originally Posted by CO_VR4
What failures have you had in your new turbo lines? Tell us about the integrity of the hot side casting?
We've had a few wastegate actuator issues and one turbine housing casting flaw, all of which have been rectified to the satisfaction of our customers to the best of my knowledge. We're not perfect and we will never claim to be, but we will stand behind our product and continue to offer our customers the unmatched level of customer service that has come to be expected from MAP.

Last edited by ChrisCarey; Nov 5, 2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
The journal bearing turbo failures we have seen can be traced to one cause, oil starvation. This can be accomplished in a variety of ways but the smaller turbos tend to be ran on road race cars more than drag cars. As such they are subjected to cornerning starvation that at full boost (140k+rpm) means instant death for the turbocharger. 4 cars in particular also had rod bearing damage (light) that was noticeable revealing what was the source of the turbo failure.

In 2 other cases there was simply rod bearing damage from whatever cause that had pushed contamination through the rest of the oiling system. So obviously you'd think well there are 2 filters right? Exactly and when the feedline filter gets clogged by damaged engine particulates guess what happens...turbo failure.

The testing phase of the ball bearing center section was intense. If it can survive that and more importantly survive Luke, it will survive anything. Robert gave Luke the no break guarantee so trust me if anyone will find the combination to the weak link, Luke has the skill to do it.

PM's are not admissible unfortunately. You cant post them to the public without the senders consent, if they wanted to post them they could have in the first place. The old internet adage of "pix or didnt happen" comes to mind.

Last edited by JohnBradley; Nov 6, 2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

I just removed my BB Black and installed the BB Green, back to my FAT powerband, damn this thing is quick now!
Old Nov 11, 2011, 05:37 AM
Evolved Member

BB Green would be a fun street turbo.

Quick Reply: EF3, BB Green or BB BBK?