Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Manley Forged crank question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2011, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manley Forged crank question

Im building a 2.3 so its a 100mm crank. Ok so people say that these are weaker then the 4g64 stock crank but ive seen pics and posts about 4g64 cranks breaking and never a manley one broke? I need some opinions on how good the manley FORGED crank is. Also the reason i dont want a used 4g64 crank is because i dont want a used crank that has been turned. Also i dont want to buy a brand new OEM 4g64 crank because if im going to spend 800 dollars im going to just spend another 400 and get the manley billet crank. So how good is this forged crank for a 2.3 looking at 700whp.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 09:22 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts
Honestly go to a junk yard and get yourself a used one that hasn't been damaged out of a running motor. Have it speced out and maybe repolished. You dont have to return cranks if there is not physical damage to them just micropolished. Have the place take the detent ball out of them as well and clean the old **** out of the crank as well. Will make a world of difference and help with the life of the crank as well. It would be a cheaper option then spending a ton of cash on a forged crank. Honestly I really don't see a need for them unless you had a bad crank to begin with. I know thats not what your really asking but tring to save you some cash.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sktng22
Im building a 2.3 so its a 100mm crank. Ok so people say that these are weaker then the 4g64 stock crank but ive seen pics and posts about 4g64 cranks breaking and never a manley one broke? I need some opinions on how good the manley FORGED crank is. Also the reason i dont want a used 4g64 crank is because i dont want a used crank that has been turned. Also i dont want to buy a brand new OEM 4g64 crank because if im going to spend 800 dollars im going to just spend another 400 and get the manley billet crank. So how good is this forged crank for a 2.3 looking at 700whp.
who said that?
Old Dec 25, 2011, 09:29 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
who said that?
I haven't heard of the Manley's breaking but I have personally seen the Eagles break in half.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cursedsm
I haven't heard of the Manley's breaking but I have personally seen the Eagles break in half.
eagle 4g cranks? i have seen plenty of stock cranks in pieces, it doesnt even make sense that stock would be stronger, its an inferior material over the eagle and manley cranks.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

who said that?
Well im not exactly getting a straight answer of that they are weaker. but a few very well known shops i have called and asked about a manley forged crank are telling me that the manley crank is the next best thing after a 4g64 crank. but i dont understand why if the manley has improved oiling over the 4g64 stocker. and there not saying its better because its cheaper used. they are saying it basically as brand new 4g64 crank.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

eagle 4g cranks? i have seen plenty of stock cranks in pieces, it doesnt even make sense that stock would be stronger, its an inferior material over the eagle and manley cranks.
well ive heard of eagles breaking because of the poor machining not material
Old Dec 25, 2011, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Well im not exactly getting a straight answer of that they are weaker. but a few very well known shops i have called and asked about a manley forged crank are telling me that the manley crank is the next best thing after a 4g64 crank. but i dont understand why if the manley has improved oiling over the 4g64 stocker. and there not saying its better because its cheaper used. they are saying it basically as brand new 4g64 crank.
sometimes the machining and balance arent great out of the box on the eagle and manley cranks so they can be more work, but as far as strength goes, i see no reason why the eagle and manley wouldnt be better.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 09:39 AM
EvoM Guru

well ive heard of eagles breaking because of the poor machining not material
Exactly, Eagle as a company have been junk since the early 2000's. There quality control went down hill and there products have been serpast by alot of companys. I do have a pic of one that broke in half off a buddy of mines car but that is on my old phone and I don't know how to get it off there being its shut off.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Honestly go to a junk yard and get yourself a used one that hasn't been damaged out of a running motor. Have it speced out and maybe repolished. You dont have to return cranks if there is not physical damage to them just micropolished. Have the place take the detent ball out of them as well and clean the old **** out of the crank as well. Will make a world of difference and help with the life of the crank as well. It would be a cheaper option then spending a ton of cash on a forged crank. Honestly I really don't see a need for them unless you had a bad crank to begin with. I know thats not what your really asking but tring to save you some cash.
i honestly would like to do this the only problem im thinking of is what if i get the crank from the junkyard, bring it to the machine shop, and they tell me it has to be rebalanced or turned. that would cause me to hafta go buy another one from the junkyard
Old Dec 25, 2011, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

sometimes the machining and balance arent great out of the box on the eagle and manley cranks so they can be more work, but as far as strength goes, i see no reason why the eagle and manley wouldnt be better.
id like manley over eagle because of the fact there located an hour away from me. i can go down there and beat someone with it if the machine shop tells me the machining is poor on it. i wouldnt have to fly to china
Old Dec 25, 2011, 09:44 AM
EvoM Guru

i honestly would like to do this the only problem im thinking of is what if i get the crank from the junkyard, bring it to the machine shop, and they tell me it has to be rebalanced or turned. that would cause me to hafta go buy another one from the junkyard
If it came out of a running car chances are that will not be a problem. But I totally understand on your thoughts of not wanting a turned crank. Alot of machine shops I have here locally will not do the extra work such as detent replacement and to get all the old sludgy oil out of the crank passages and they go ahead and turn them and when they are out of balance again from being ran they do break. But here is something to take into consideration as well. I am sure your gonna build it yourself, take the time and have it balanced once you get your rod and piston and everything else in there that will save alot of headaches as well.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

If it came out of a running car chances are that will not be a problem. But I totally understand on your thoughts of not wanting a turned crank. Alot of machine shops I have here locally will not do the extra work such as detent replacement and to get all the old sludgy oil out of the crank passages and they go ahead and turn them and when they are out of balance again from being ran they do break. But here is something to take into consideration as well. I am sure your gonna build it yourself, take the time and have it balanced once you get your rod and piston and everything else in there that will save alot of headaches as well.
ive got brand new rods and pistons sitting here. the real hard part is knowing if it came out of a running car. the junkyards over here dont let anyone go into the yard anymore so you have to call them and they take the part out for you. so idk what the hell it came out of ya know
Old Dec 25, 2011, 09:48 AM
EvoM Guru

I have a newer set of Eagle rods for the dsm here at my house and a old set from the 90s and when I built the motor for the talon you should see the tollerence difference between the 90s and the newer set. The tollerences in grams were like +/- .003 on the older set and the newer set was like +/- .01 and it varied from rod to rod. one would be like .01 the next would be .006 then .011 then .0075 so yeah qc has gone way down with eagles.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 09:50 AM
EvoM Guru

ive got brand new rods and pistons sitting here. the real hard part is knowing if it came out of a running car. the junkyards over here dont let anyone go into the yard anymore so you have to call them and they take the part out for you. so idk what the hell it came out of ya know
Yeah only thing I can say to that is if you do go that route don't over pay for a crank and if possible buy a couple. I mean yeah it is kind of a waste of money but like you said if your unsure and if you have a couple of them if one is good then your good to go, if the other is bad scrap yard or sell to a company who buys used cranks to have them turn it. But I can understand not wanting to spend more then you need to.

Quick Reply: Manley Forged crank question