Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: EF4 or FP Black?
MAP EF4
42.59%
FP Black
57.41%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

EF4 or FP Black?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2012, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My car bakes the tires in 1st and 2nd and a little bit of 3rd, if I was making any more low end power Id be blowing through continental dws's like courtney love blows through coke.

Tell me how a car with a 67mm turbo runs a 9 or an 8 then dude. Because if were going by your logic that my car has no low end power and that means its going to run an 11 at best, which makes 300wtq astronomically sooner than a 67mm turbo, how does any car with a laggy t3 run a 9 or an 8? Dumbest thing I've ever read anyone say on here coming from a guy as respected as you is like a mega wtf.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue91lx
I'm still confused as to why 43psi @ 3500rpms (with S3s) is considered laggy? Will a DBB Black really outspool a JOURNAL BEARING EF4 by that much?
Would love to see any graph of an evo making 43psi at 3500 rpm on an EF4. Most dyno charts I have seen of an EF4 it fully spools by 5k. My stock turbo makes 29psi at 3800/20psi at 3180 and I have been one of the quickest spooling stock IX turbos I have logged so far. I know that is apples to oranges as I'm just using that to compare sizes of the turbos but even with a 2.3 liter I don't see that being possible. I could be wrong but I would love to see logs.

Last edited by dangle; Feb 7, 2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 09:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Svendiesel
My car bakes the tires in 1st and 2nd and a little bit of 3rd, if I was making any more low end power Id be blowing through continental dws's like courtney love blows through coke.

Tell me how a car with a 67mm turbo runs a 9 or an 8 then dude. Because if were going by your logic that my car has no low end power and that means its going to run an 11 at best, which makes 300wtq astronomically sooner than a 67mm turbo, how does any car with a laggy t3 run a 9 or an 8? Dumbest thing I've ever read anyone say on here coming from a guy as respected as you is like a mega wtf.
ROFLCopter. Post of the day.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 11:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
High 11s??

I think YOU are high writing something like that. I've lost all respect for you with a comment like that. Thank you for posting the funniest thing I've ever read on evom, 94awdcoupe. You are now a joke.
and I care about your respect because I just post my opinions/facts/predictions based on my actual experiences?

Had a similar discussion with a local in our local forums. He built a very light car with a very laggy 650whp setup.the powerband was too laggy and the clutch was all wrong for the job. I told him there was no way he would get in the 12s. He had no respect for me either. Thought I was on crack. But he even knew of my 525whp car that has gone 10.2 on street tires that I built some 10 year ago before evo 8s were even here. he went to the track to prove me wrong. he never posted the results on our forums. I found them posted on another forum. best he could do was a 13.6et. everything I told him would happen did and then some.. that was some funny ****t!

Last edited by 94AWDcoupe; Feb 8, 2012 at 12:29 AM.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 12:28 AM
Evolving Member

Yea, but the EF4 isn't as laggy as you are making it out to me. Try to be at least a little realistic.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 12:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dangle
Would love to see any graph of an evo making 43psi at 3500 rpm on an EF4. Most dyno charts I have seen of an EF4 it fully spools by 5k. My stock turbo makes 29psi at 3800/20psi at 3180 and I have been one of the quickest spooling stock IX turbos I have logged so far. I know that is apples to oranges as I'm just using that to compare sizes of the turbos but even with a 2.3 liter I don't see that being possible. I could be wrong but I would love to see logs.
there are logs posted of 37psi at 3700rpm. (or close to that) seemingly impressive. until you see the dyno graph that goes with it. the TQ/HP at 3700rpm is not what the 37psi suggests. what it actually shows is the turbo suffering from a mismatch of comp/turbine wheel. the power and torque is not there till much later in rpm band. the compressor is too big for the turbine wheel/exhaust housing. the compressor moves more air than can be moved out the exhaust and high pressure at the manifold (boost) is a result.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 12:58 AM
Evolved Member

Problem with building fast cars is its all too easy to make people happy. Simply put most have never had a 600whp car. So the first time they do have one they ARE GONNA BE HAPPY. They really have no clue what the difference is between a fast spooling useful 600whp powerband and a slower less useful 600whp powerband. So what you end up with is a bunch of opinions from people who THINK they know how to give good advice. I am amazed at all the people recommending the EF4 in the polls. its just the classic blind leading the blind. No other way to say it.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 01:12 AM
Evolved Member

I will address the statement in bold.

My 600whp 2560lb AWD Mirage with a 205 series tire (tiny) does not break traction in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. And I promise you it would destroy your car in a race of any sort.

What your car does is make no power in 1/2/3 till very late in the power band. so the power acts like an on and off switch. OFF=no power ON =no useful power
Old Feb 8, 2012, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Id hope your car would own me in a race, its 560lbs lighter. But again, what Im about to touch on below, you're speculating. You have absolutely no proof that your car really would do what you expect it to. It sounds good on paper right now, but would it really? We wouldnt know until we saw it happen. Im not doubting you, Im just saying, you're just spewing stuff out right now with no real world backing.

The past 2 weeks with the EF4 turbos, youve been captain speculation, and, all in all, very pig headish. You're basically being a world is flat kind of guy right now. Don't be a world is flat kind of guy.

You see some logs and a power graph, and immediately think you know what youre talking about. I get that youve been around for a long time. Cool man.

Address your logic though, you completely dismissed it. How will my car, at best, have an 11 second pass in it if a 67mm turbo car run an 9 second pass with 100% non-existant low end power? Is it magic?
Old Feb 8, 2012, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

how big is the wheel in the EF4? isn't is close to 67mm also? Just curious. Cause I know it has a lot better spool than what you are getting at.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 09:52 AM
Former Sponsor

High 11s??

I think YOU are high writing something like that. I've lost all respect for you with a comment like that. Thank you for posting the funniest thing I've ever read on evom, 94awdcoupe. You are now a joke.
This is almost signature worthy lol. Apparently 94AWDcoupe has taken to PMs now criticizing other aspects of my business, not just turbochargers. I wish I had that much free time

Originally Posted by BigDaddyCain
how big is the wheel in the EF4? isn't is close to 67mm also? Just curious. Cause I know it has a lot better spool than what you are getting at.
The EF4 comp wheel is marginally bigger than the Black, which is why I find the comments that praise the Black and criticize the EF4 very humorous

Last edited by ChrisCarey; Feb 8, 2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

The comp wheel on an ef4 is nowhere near 67mm. An FP Blacks inducer on the comp wheel is 59mm I believe.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The comp wheel on an ef4 is nowhere near 67mm. An FP Blacks inducer on the comp wheel is 59mm I believe.
From FP's site:

"The FP BLACK™ for the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 4-9 is the most fully evolved stock appearing variant we offer. It features an 82mm HTA™ compressor wheel with a flow rate of 68lb/min with our 84mm Flow Advancement Port™ compressor cover. The turbine side features a large 67mm turbine wheel."

-Bink
Old Feb 8, 2012, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

That is the exducer of the compressor wheel man (82mm), the inducer is 59mm.

The turbine wheel is 67mm, yes. You guys (not you Bink I know you know this) know theres two wheels in a turbo, right? As I said in what you quoted me, Ive been talking about the comp wheel. Havent been referring to the turbine wheel.

Last edited by Svendiesel; Feb 8, 2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is the exducer of the compressor wheel man (82mm), the inducer is 59mm.

The turbine wheel is 67mm, yes. You guys (not you Bink I know you know this) know theres two wheels in a turbo, right? As I said in what you quoted me, Ive been talking about the comp wheel. Havent been referring to the turbine wheel.
There are two wheels??

-Bink

Quick Reply: EF4 or FP Black?