Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: EF4 or FP Black?
MAP EF4
42.59%
FP Black
57.41%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

EF4 or FP Black?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2012, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EF4 or FP Black?

I'm going with a stock frame turbo because I wanted to try it out and the EVO has the best market for stock frame turbos. So please don't try to persuade me to a T3 or T4, been there done that with other cars.

Setup:
Map 2.3 liter
.040 overbore
10:1 compression
stock head and cams for now

I'm a drag racer, don't care about anything other type of racing.

I'm ready to buy one, just up in the air between these two. There's been a lot of debate on these two turbos. I know the Black has slightly better spool, but the EF4 has a bigger compressor wheel and tends to make better power up top. Both make about the same peak power though.

Leaning towards the EF4, don't see the point in the few hundred rpms of better spool in my type of racing vs having better power up top. Vote and leave your opinions. Help me decide.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
EF4...Im biased though
Old Feb 6, 2012, 10:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Svendiesel
EF4...Im biased though
For good reason lol
Old Feb 6, 2012, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

EF4 yo!
Old Feb 6, 2012, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

It sounds like you answered your own question. Why go with a 2.3 if you're only concentrating on drag racing. Also why limit yourself to a bolt on turbo if lag isn't an issue?
Old Feb 6, 2012, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DBB FP Black gets my vote

-Bink
Old Feb 6, 2012, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
from graphs I have seen the EF4 would be very hard to put power down in 1st 2nd and 3rd. the Black has gone 140+ on many cars. fastest EF4????

Black gets my vote hands down
Old Feb 6, 2012, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
from graphs I have seen the EF4 would be very hard to put power down in 1st 2nd and 3rd. the Black has gone 140+ on many cars. fastest EF4????

Black gets my vote hands down
Let's not turn this into why you hate this turbo like we did in the LR thread... For drag EF4 would own the FB Black top end... kthxbai
Old Feb 6, 2012, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Jeeze man let me get to the track and Ill show you!
Old Feb 7, 2012, 05:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Svendiesel
Jeeze man let me get to the track and Ill show you!
By all means head to the track. But you wont be showing me anything I dont already know. The EF4 is not a turbo I would ever choose for my own car. Far better choices available. Black being one of them which is what this poll is about.

You better have an amazing clutch and driver. otherwise car wont even get into the 10s. When powerbands are short in 1-3 its very difficult to cut a good ET. You need a clutch that can shift at high RPM. and a driver who can get it out of the whole at high RPM.

Let us know what your prediction is. Mine is 135-145mph but with high 11s.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 06:01 AM
Evolving Member

For drag racing i would either do a DBB Red or Black...reason bearing life and quick spool...cant wait for spool when dragging. Just sayin!
Old Feb 7, 2012, 06:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dangle
It sounds like you answered your own question. Why go with a 2.3 if you're only concentrating on drag racing. Also why limit yourself to a bolt on turbo if lag isn't an issue?
I did the stroker because I wanted to go with a bigger turbo and I knew these BIG stock frame turbos are a little slower spooling than just a regular stock turbo.

and I am doing a stock frame turbo because I've done bigger aftermarket ones before, the whole reason I bought an evo was to test the stock frame turbos out since this is the best market for that.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You better have an amazing clutch and driver. otherwise car wont even get into the 10s. When powerbands are short in 1-3 its very difficult to cut a good ET. You need a clutch that can shift at high RPM. and a driver who can get it out of the whole at high RPM. }
I will be running the EF4 this year on a built 2.3ltr 10.5:1 cr motor with a triple disk and slicks. Ill keep you posted...
Old Feb 7, 2012, 06:23 AM
Evolving Member

By all means head to the track. But you wont be showing me anything I dont already know. The EF4 is not a turbo I would ever choose for my own car. Far better choices available. Black being one of them which is what this poll is about.

You better have an amazing clutch and driver. otherwise car wont even get into the 10s. When powerbands are short in 1-3 its very difficult to cut a good ET. You need a clutch that can shift at high RPM. and a driver who can get it out of the whole at high RPM.

Let us know what your prediction is. Mine is 135-145mph but with high 11s.
Originally Posted by BoostINurI
For drag racing i would either do a DBB Red or Black...reason bearing life and quick spool...cant wait for spool when dragging. Just sayin!

You two are acting like the EF4 falls on it's face after you shift. Full boost is being seen usually around 4000 to 4500rpms roughly, and when you shift 1-2 and 2-3 and 3-4, you don't drop below 5000rpms when using just a 7500rpm shift point. What makes you think you'd lose all boost and have to build it back from nothing again? The EF4 might be a littly laggy for a stock frame turbo, but it's not near as bad as you are making it out to be. And you are forgetting that it holds power better up top than the black does.

I'd really be surprised if a EF4 wasn't BETTER than a Black for pure drag racing. And I'm going to try it out and I'll let you all know how I do.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 06:23 AM
Evolving Member

I don't know who can honestly give you a non biased opinion, people that own one brand will most likely say that one. I'm sure there are not many here that have had both and can give you a good reason for one or another.

Quick Reply: EF4 or FP Black?