Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

coolant pushing to overflow

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2012, 01:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
When that happened to us we lifted the head and lost the head gasket to make a long story short
Old Mar 2, 2012, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa
to properly burp you need something like a lisle funnel. http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-24610-Spill-Free-Funnel/dp/B001A4EAV0

i would stick with 1.1 bar rad cap also.
yea i use that same funnel

and how much coolant is normal to go over into the overflow after say one pass on a forward facing setup (mini rad.) any other FF guys on here that can chime in?

i am told that as long as it sucks it back over (atleast over night) and never over heats that its normal for a mini radiator to see this type of activity
Old Mar 2, 2012, 02:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Yamahar1
When that happened to us we lifted the head and lost the head gasket to make a long story short
but was it very obvious? or did it only do it on pulls my thing is i could be being over paranoid about the situation i understand thats why the over flow is there to catch fluid when pressures exceed what the cap can hold and its not puking out the whole radiator its pushing maybe 1/2 a quart?

going to make some pulls tonight watch the temps and see if it sucks it back over./... if not i have ahead gasket coming anyways
Old Mar 2, 2012, 02:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by ta ace
yea i use that same funnel

and how much coolant is normal to go over into the overflow after say one pass on a forward facing setup (mini rad.) any other FF guys on here that can chime in?

i am told that as long as it sucks it back over (atleast over night) and never over heats that its normal for a mini radiator to see this type of activity
if you're pushing any kind of coolant into the overflow the headgasket is compromised. it may not be compromised at idle or normal driving but in boost its not sealing right.

if it was normal you wouldnt be questioning it.. you wouldnt notice it. yours is flat out overflowing coolant out of the tank every pull you do.. that is not normal.

I would measure the headstuds for stretch also if you're reusing them.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa
if you're pushing any kind of coolant into the overflow the headgasket is compromised. it may not be compromised at idle or normal driving but in boost its not sealing right.

if it was normal you wouldnt be questioning it.. you wouldnt notice it. yours is flat out overflowing coolant out of the tank every pull you do.. that is not normal.

I would measure the headstuds for stretch also if you're reusing them.
its not overflowing the overflow however the coolant pressure is maintained by the cap difference is im taking the container size and cutting it in half so there is less room...

now i dont know how much coolant moving to the over flow is normal...

really need to hear from someone w/ a mini radiator ff setup how much coolant may pass over to the overflow on a normal pull.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

That funnel works really well.

Yeah something isn't right, if the coolant is going from the low level to the top of the overflow that's not good. Have you tried a good stock rad cap?
Old Mar 2, 2012, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
The car drove fine for awhile then one day it started over heating. I bet the head gasket is on the way out......It could have a small imperfection like a crack or something and only shows up under boost. over time it will get worse and start over heating.

New headgasket and new head studs

Last edited by Yamahar1; Mar 2, 2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think your small radiator could have a little to do with it. Seems a little strange. People are so quick to jump on HG issues,
Im in a similar coolant issue as you , i also run a 2.4LR and have replaced rad cap so far.
Lucas from English did tell me to not run a ton or even to the normal mark in the resivor tank, he said to keep it pretty low.
Do you push out a bunch or even any into the overflow tank once u shut the car off?
Old Mar 3, 2012, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

When coolant heats it expands, so it will rise regardless that's why we have overflow tanks.

But for it to rise that much? Idk.

Also it's normal for the level to rise a tiny bit after shutting down.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 08:31 AM
Evolving Member

what would a faulty thermostat do to a car?
Old Mar 3, 2012, 09:10 AM
Evolving Member

Our there is air in the system....
Old Mar 3, 2012, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

changed the thermostat now the car doesnt get above 200 deg while extended idling or doing a few pulls where w/ the old thermostat it would reach 220*+ sometimes but it does still push coolant to the overflow...
Old Mar 3, 2012, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

How long did it take you to burp the coolant? Best way I find it, is to have the heat on full blast and till the upper rad hose is hot or even till it reaches full temp.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
The logs I saw yesterday had very conservative timing, but the knock voltage was extremely high for the boost and timing. Engine noise or not it didnt seem it was just a thermostat away from being fixed. Hopefully all it is is the thermostat.

Aaron
Old Mar 3, 2012, 04:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
The logs I saw yesterday had very conservative timing, but the knock voltage was extremely high for the boost and timing. Engine noise or not it didnt seem it was just a thermostat away from being fixed. Hopefully all it is is the thermostat.

Aaron
fingers crossed i guess im going to just go beat the shiiiit out of the car and see what it does temp wise and if it takes it no problems like it did this morning im going to just run the car as is because its sucking the coolant back over now

i dont know if w/ a 2.4 if the WP would make any more pressure than normal since it has a WP spacer but hell if i know at this point...

Runs good
Drives good

maybe im being paranoid ... may just change the HG to be for sure

Quick Reply: coolant pushing to overflow