Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: Clicking noise when you press down on the clutch.
I have the clicking noise
56.00%
I do not have the clicking noise
44.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Clicking noise when you press down on the clutch.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2004, 11:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by timzcat
There is no evidence of any crankwalk issues on the Evo engine so far and I doubt Mitsu would not have learned thier lesson.
According to Mitsu, there never was a problem with crankwalk, so how could they learn from a problem that never existed?
Old Feb 21, 2004, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by gtr

I dont' hear anything. I had a throw out bearing going out on my car and i'm guessing there is too much slack between the throwout bearing and pressure plate. I just hope your throwout bearing doesn't pop out of the pressureplate causing your clutch to fail.

I've heard purposely making larger tolerence so the clutch fails rather than your trans?

For your infomation before mine when bad the clutch pedal started to vibrate. So no virbration on clutch pedal during depressing, no worries i guess.
When I did my clutch a few weeks ago the pedal was vibrating after the install was done. I cracked it back open this week to check it out/replace it again and realized that I did a ****-poor job torquing down the pressure plate. I guess a bad TO bearing might manifest itself as a similar problem. Basically anything that throws the system out of balance a bit.

There shouldn't be any slack between the TO and the plate. The springs on the clutch release fork should always be pulling the TO bearing away from the plate.

As far as the click goes... I hear a click, but I'm sure it's the sensor that I'm hearing. It's not too loud and sounds like it's coming from under the dash.
Old Jul 13, 2004, 06:57 PM
Evolving Member

It is the throw out bearing. If you ever install a twin-disc like me you will hear a lot more clicking which people refer to as chatter. I wouldn't worry.
Old Jul 13, 2004, 07:08 PM

its not really a clicking noise but more like a clicking feeling. not trying to scare you but that what i was feeling right before i found out my crank was walking.

it was so bad that when i was at a light and engage into first, had my foot down on the clutch it would slam into gear.

got my engine replaced and now im having some tranny problems =(

the funny thing is, i still love my evo
Old Jul 14, 2004, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

if im starting on a hill and im creeping and have to clutch back in i hear it when the clutch is about halfway to the floor. its not a recurring clicking sound though its one click. im led to believe its just the clutch engaging/disengaging. is this clicking sounds you hear constant like a watch or just one click?????
Old Jul 14, 2004, 12:43 PM
Evolving Member

i have a noise when doing a 3-point style turn... whenever i put in the clutch from 1st to reverse and vice verse i can hear an audible click... this is for short distances where you don't get to fully engage the the clutch... my car did that since i picked it up 7mi on the odometer... i assume it's normal...
Old Jul 14, 2004, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=srd_evo]its not really a clicking noise but more like a clicking feeling. not trying to scare you but that what i was feeling right before i found out my crank was walking.

Mine started doing the same thing this weekend. I just had a ACT clutch put in a few weeks ago, wonder if it has aything to do with that? It doesn't happen everytime, but when the clutch is depressed while driving slowly, like in traffic or around town, it's more of a clicking feeling rather than audible. it happens at about 8/10's of full clutch travel.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 06:58 PM

My car just started making a pop noise when the clutch is being engaged. The pop happens at about the midway point of its travel to the floor. It only really happens when the car is stopped. Is this the throwout bearing or is it normal?