Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What's going on at Forced Performance

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2012, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 235 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by jonzie04
There are too many other great options on the market than to wait 2,4,6 months. get your money back and go with something else. cbrd is a great choice as some have pointed out. The map ef series, and the bolt on garret turbos. But in all honesty for the price you're paying for the BB bolt on FP turbos, i would buy a nice turbo kit for not a whole lot more.... by the time you sell your stock turbo + manifold, downpipe etc, you could have a buschur or ets or whoever FULL turbo kit for the same price, if not less.

IMO FP dropped the ball by stopping making the jb turbos. It was nice when the turbos were 1500-1800 dollars and were a kick *** option. spend $1500-$1800, BOLT on a part and make 550 awhp or whatever and spool great! I can also see what SOME would go with the BB series turbos. But only offering the $2500 turbo is a huge mistake on their part. At that point it really doesn't make any sense to buy it, unless you live in a state like california, or just love being stealth.

I am not trying to knock fp at all. they have done a lot for the evo/dsm/subie community, in their research, cams, bolt on turbos, and hta stuff. I've ran both a red, and their hta3582. I love their products. I just disagree with the way they're running their business by ONLY offering a $2500 turbo. And them taking so long to get them done.

Sorry for the ramble guys lol...
i'm sreu they can still convert if need be
Old Apr 8, 2012, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
So I havent seen it mentioned here, but you all know that the earthquake/tsunami epicentered in Sendai had a tremendous effect on Japan's shipments of parts to the US right? Exedy, MHI, and many others ended up with stuff on the bottom of the pacific as well as insufficient power to get new stuff built (reactor issue).

I am not saying FP is perfect, no one is, but there are definitely a lot of extenuating circumstances. Most recently DFW got hit with not one but 2 tornadoes. As far as I am aware the only turbo that is still being offered in journal bearing is the HTA Green. Let me explain why please.

There has been many threads talking about FP Red and Black failures on road race cars and high powered drag cars. There is very little mention of the why it seems. It is simple though, our oiling system sucks. As soon as the G force gets high lateral (in road racing) in right handers or longitudinal (in drag racing) the pick up gets uncovered. What does this have to do with turbos? No oil and 140k rpm means damage instantly. If by a miracle it doesnt take out the bearings or oil pump, I have seen survivors, it always will lead to turbo failure.

Now if you as FP were constantly badmouthed for not warrantying something that wasnt your fault what would you do? I would change my product so at the very least my turbo survives the abuse, this meant their innovative ceramic ball bearing. Trust me when I say it has gone through a test cycle that no one here is capable of reproducing in their car without a 6 pack of engines. New parts and new technologies take time and can run into production issues very easily when the supplies of said technologies gets interrupted. I understand the frustration of not getting things in a timely manner, I really do, but at the same time with so many getting things within a week or 2 I have to wonder why the people that waited 2-4 months werent calling every day.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease. I dont know the situation because I havent called for customers in question and I can only speak from personal experience. I order things 6-8 weeks in advance of needing them, I call when deadlines arent met, I keep my cool and work around issues as they arise.

Again, I am not saying to be lethargic or indifferent but understand that this is the performance industry and sometimes wanting the best means waiting for it.

aaron

Last edited by JohnBradley; Apr 8, 2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
So I havent seen it mentioned here, but you all know that the earthquake/tsunami epicentered in Sendai had a tremendous effect on Japan's shipments of parts to the US right? Exedy, MHI, and many others ended up with stuff on the bottom of the pacific as well as insufficient power to get new stuff built (reactor issue).

I am not saying FP is perfect, no one is, but there are definitely a lot of extenuating circumstances. Most recently DFW got hit with not one but 2 tornadoes. As far as I am aware the only turbo that is still being offered in journal bearing is the HTA Green. Let me explain why please.

There has been many threads talking about FP Red and Black failures on road race cars and high powered drag cars. There is very little mention of the why it seems. It is simple though, our oiling system sucks. As soon as the G force gets high lateral (in road racing) in right handers or longitudinal (in drag racing) the pick up gets uncovered. What does this have to do with turbos? No oil and 140k rpm means damage instantly. If by a miracle it doesnt take out the bearings or oil pump, I have seen survivors, it always will lead to turbo failure.

Now if you as FP were constantly badmouthed for not warrantying something that wasnt your fault what would you do? I would change my product so at the very least my turbo survives the abuse, this meant their innovative ceramic ball bearing. Trust me when I say it has gone through a test cycle that one here is capable of reproducing in their car without a 6 pack of engines. New parts and new technologies take time and can run into production issues very easily when the supplies of said technologies gets interrupted. I understand the frustration of not getting things in a timely manner, I really do, but at the same time with so many getting things within a week or 2 I have to wonder why the people that waited 2-4 months werent calling every day.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease. I dont know the situation because I havent called for customers in question and I can only speak from personal experience. I order things 6-8 weeks in advance of needing them, I call when deadlines arent met, I keep my cool and work around issues as they arise.

Again, I am not saying to not be lethargic or indifferent but understand that this is the performance industry and sometimes wanting the best means waiting for it.

aaron
great info, thanks - IDK about others, but as far as I've been concerned I've been calling several times a week and had been getting either estimates of "next week" to "not sure" more or less every week. Just wanted to know what was going on since I would see people receiving their FPs once in a while.

Hopefully this in addition with the Kiggly HLA will help with those high g right handers and longitudinal situations (plus perhaps an oil pan mod)
Old Apr 8, 2012, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyoo
great info, thanks - IDK about others, but as far as I've been concerned I've been calling several times a week and had been getting either estimates of "next week" to "not sure" more or less every week. Just wanted to know what was going on since I would see people receiving their FPs once in a while.

Hopefully this in addition with the Kiggly HLA will help with those high g right handers and longitudinal situations (plus perhaps an oil pan mod)
We use both the Kiggly HLA and AMS pan with good success. The next thing after that is a dry sump which is expensive but if you need it it is still less than buying a second motor because the first one popped.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We use both the Kiggly HLA and AMS pan with good success. The next thing after that is a dry sump which is expensive but if you need it it is still less than buying a second motor because the first one popped.
Not to get too far off topic, but which dry sump system do you guys like? I've been looking at possibly getting the Norris Designs dry sump kit.

l8r)
Old Apr 9, 2012, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

have you guys ever tried out/looked at Buschur's OEM oil pan mod - is that a reliable substitute for the AMS unit?
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

We have used it and it does work well also. The reason I like the AMS is the additional capacity. If you only need 5 quarts the Buschur pan is perfect.

Aaron
Old Apr 12, 2012, 01:28 PM

I've heard from a little birdy that FP usually keeps 1-2 of each model of turbochargers on the shelf for direct sales. This might be why some people are receiving the same turbo you're waiting for because they ordered direct.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

got the message - anyway my turbo is on the way!
Old Apr 12, 2012, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
Not to get too far off topic, but which dry sump system do you guys like? I've been looking at possibly getting the Norris Designs dry sump kit.

l8r)
Yeah we are probably going to try the Norris...or make our own.

Kyoo,

Great news man.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 03:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by warp9
Its their suppliers that are to blame..Garrett isnt sending them the cartridges fast enough for those waiting on a Garrett based turbo. And Mitsu stuff is on back order as well. Dont know about the DBB reds and blacks and if thats a problem
The DBB Black is what im waiting one and it was supposed to be in last week.... They told the guy that ordered the turbo that they were still waiting on bearings. but we should see it soon.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

will be closing this thread since the turbo is on its way -

edit nvm.. thats only for fs threads