Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

6262 Or Engine Rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:39 AM
cz1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6262 Or Engine Rebuild?

So I'm stumped right now. I have money to do either one. People are saying 6262 on stock block is good to do because the power band is higher up in the RPMS. Considering that I'm eventually going to rebuild my the botom end this year, maybe 4-6 months later would it be smart for me to do a 6262 on a stock block?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do a 6262.. just in the back of your mind remember your motor might go
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ive been fine for almost 2 years.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
True that it works well on stock block but if you have the money and time to rebuild the engine, I'd start there. You're at a win with either decision.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

My opinion is to do the motor first. I would rather ensure that the motor can handle the power reliably, and you will make the most out of the turbo.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:14 AM
cz1

Ivey is my tuner so I trust him to make this setup reliable until I do the engine.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tpatterson
My opinion is to do the motor first. I would rather ensure that the motor can handle the power reliably, and you will make the most out of the turbo.
I second this...

I'm building my motor from bottom up first, so I know what ever I decide to go with, it will handle it without the fear of putting a window in my block
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Pssst
I second this...

I'm building my motor from bottom up first, so I know what ever I decide to go with, it will handle it without the fear of putting a window in my block

Turning my old block into a table and the 3 of the 4 pistons that still look like pistons into coasters.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

If you are going to build the motor in 4-6 Months down the road then i would do the 6262 now. Just make sure you dont push the car that hard until you build the bottom end that you will be set. I recommend though doing the 6266 instead of the 6262
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Motor, then you can have all the fun in the world (high boost) when you add the 6262
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by okevolutionVIII
Turning my old block into a table and the 3 of the 4 pistons that still look like pistons into coasters.
Ahahaha thats awesome!!
Originally Posted by Evosick2332
If you are going to build the motor in 4-6 Months down the road then i would do the 6262 now. Just make sure you dont push the car that hard until you build the bottom end that you will be set. I recommend though doing the 6266 instead of the 6262
Why risk it, just build the motor now, then in 4-6months put on a new turbo. What if he puts the turbo on now, then blows a hole in his block?
Originally Posted by evo8426
Motor, then you can have all the fun in the world (high boost) when you add the 6262
No one likes taming a beast if they dont have to!
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

^ He wouldnt risk the motor if he keeps it reliable. He said 4-6 months, thats not too long just driving the car conservative. Decent tune on pump gas, car will be still fun on the stock block for awhile. If he goes ***** to the wall on the stock block with the 6262 or 6266 then yea he might have a problem. I was making around 450 on a mustang dyno on a Fp Red and it lasted over a year before it blew. And that was constant abuse running 10.50s. I guess he can go either way, but its really just what he feels like doing. Good luck man.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:01 PM
cz1

I honestly don't beat on my car. I'll get on it once in awhile, sometimes merging on a low-traffic highway, but other than that I don't launch my car ever.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evosick2332
^ He wouldnt risk the motor if he keeps it reliable. He said 4-6 months, thats not too long just driving the car conservative. Decent tune on pump gas, car will be still fun on the stock block for awhile. If he goes ***** to the wall on the stock block with the 6262 or 6266 then yea he might have a problem. I was making around 450 on a mustang dyno on a Fp Red and it lasted over a year before it blew. And that was constant abuse running 10.50s. I guess he can go either way, but its really just what he feels like doing. Good luck man.
Yeah I see your point, it can easily go both ways.... Just I'd rather have that extra layer of protection knowing my motor can support it. Then again, you can put a hole in your block on a stock turbo, so it all depends on the state of the motor and what not. Just rather have it ready for power then find out something goes wrong while having the 6262 on, then he'd have to build it anyway, rather then build it, wait then beat it

Originally Posted by cz1
I honestly don't beat on my car. I'll get on it once in awhile, sometimes merging on a low-traffic highway, but other than that I don't launch my car ever.
Its a double sided coin, in the end, do what you wanna do
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cz1
Well since u NEVER launch it u will be fine then . LOL I was actually debating on whether or not to hang the 6262 off my stock block and run it out the rest of the summer, but it wasn't cause of money it was cause I didn't want to be down all summer. I thought about it and I just know I would want to keep pushing the block harder and would be pissed that I have so much more in my setup, but limited to what you "should" run through the stock internals. My tuner was like hey I've got a good stock block why don't we just build it and when it's done at the machine shop we can just swap it out with ur bottom end one weekend and ill take yours for the core..... WIN!

If u have the patience to run around with a turbo capable of making a lot more power than ur tune is giving you than you will probably be ok. If so ur a better man than me!

Quick Reply: 6262 Or Engine Rebuild?