Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

rear diff noise and inner cv play!!!

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2012, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear diff noise and inner cv play!!!

I know there are quite a few people on here with the TRE rear diff so I want to ask this question to those people......I just installed my TRE rear diff with the hd side cover and sight glass and 12 plate max lock upgrade. I also did rear trailing arm bushing as well as mustache bar and rear diff bushing from energy. When I shift gears or when abruptly accelerating or decelerating I hear a clunk. Like something is loose clunk! Everythings tightnest has been rechecked and everything was torqued to factory spec. I got under the car and the inner cv on driver side has no play, but if i wiggle the inner cv on the passenger side there is some play (roughly 1/16 to 1/8 inch) up and down play like there is considerable carrier bearing play. Can anyone with this mod chime in please on the symptoms/problems I am dealing with?

thanks everyone!
Old May 14, 2012, 05:20 PM

bump
Old May 14, 2012, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
Did you check to see if you have any play in your wheels? Could be a broken wheel bearing.
Old May 19, 2012, 03:50 PM

no play anywhere. everything is tight, except the right inner cv joint can wiggle up and down by 1/8 inch or so while the left (driver side) does not move at all. I have checked every bolt and everything is tight. I even pulled the axles back out and checked the splines and then re seated them back in. still there is that play on the inner cv joint and a clunk from the rear. I just want some input from other people with this upgrade. two questions :

1.) Does your inner cv have some play? if so which side or both?

2.) Do you get a clunk from the rear diff? if so is it with energy bushings or factory?

these two answers will help me greatly!!!

Thanks Again
Old May 23, 2012, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

Mine clunks, stock bushings.

I never really paid attention to if there was play in the cv's.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 09:21 PM

Mine clunks after I changed to a new clutch. I asked the mechanic and he told me that it was from where the drive shaft and the diff meets. Under lots of power it pops up and causes it to hit the body. you can buy a mount that prevents this but it dramatically increases road noise. Now I hear a consistent vibrating noise every time I lift the gas and coast.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 08:24 PM

I have same clunk! I recently replaced rear lsd with carbonetic lsd, upgraded to energy mustache bar bushings and upgraded to drive shaft shop 2piece drive shaft. When driving if I lift off the gas and barely give it a little throttle and lift off again, engaging drive shaft to put power to rear I get a clunk noise. Are there gears from rear lsd to drive shaft that maybe are worn and that's what I'm hearing is those bad worn out gears engaging?
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Lv"evo8u"
I have same clunk! I recently replaced rear lsd with carbonetic lsd, upgraded to energy mustache bar bushings and upgraded to drive shaft shop 2piece drive shaft. When driving if I lift off the gas and barely give it a little throttle and lift off again, engaging drive shaft to put power to rear I get a clunk noise. Are there gears from rear lsd to drive shaft that maybe are worn and that's what I'm hearing is those bad worn out gears engaging?
i thought mustache bushings and rear diff bushings were suppose to eliminate the clunk at the cost of louder whine ?? i guess i wont bother with those mods now if it didnt eliminate the clunk for you
Old Jul 20, 2013, 02:53 AM
Evolving Member

My rear diff on my evo 7 has too much play & is noisy off acceleration & in 3rd or 4th gear driving around 50 - 60 km/h, its ridiculous! Not sure what to do! What would need replacing?
Old Jul 20, 2013, 03:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoTurboTurk
My rear diff on my evo 7 has too much play & is noisy off acceleration & in 3rd or 4th gear driving around 50 - 60 km/h, its ridiculous! Not sure what to do! What would need replacing?
maybe try changing fluids .. im doing that this week, transmission/transfer case/ rear diff / ayc in rear diff (JDM EVO)
Old Jul 20, 2013, 05:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by elim0
maybe try changing fluids .. im doing that this week, transmission/transfer case/ rear diff / ayc in rear diff (JDM EVO)
Done that & didn't help....
Old Jul 20, 2013, 05:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cobb_sti
I know there are quite a few people on here with the TRE rear diff so I want to ask this question to those people......I just installed my TRE rear diff with the hd side cover and sight glass and 12 plate max lock upgrade. I also did rear trailing arm bushing as well as mustache bar and rear diff bushing from energy. When I shift gears or when abruptly accelerating or decelerating I hear a clunk. Like something is loose clunk! Everythings tightnest has been rechecked and everything was torqued to factory spec. I got under the car and the inner cv on driver side has no play, but if i wiggle the inner cv on the passenger side there is some play (roughly 1/16 to 1/8 inch) up and down play like there is considerable carrier bearing play. Can anyone with this mod chime in please on the symptoms/problems I am dealing with?

thanks everyone!
What kind of fluid are you running? The diff has some pretty harsh, pops, clicks and cluncks by itself. OEM fluids will quiet it down a lot. The play in the axle--not sure but if the seal isnt leaking and its spinning true then I would think its ok as its the same axle you ran before the diff replacement.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:52 AM

I had the same clunk from the rear diff after twin plate install, stock bushings, stock diff. I didn't want the added vibrations from solid motor mounts so I installed the Ingalls Stiffy. Havn't had a clunk since.

https://www.evolutionm.net/features/article.php?id=53

This might help you as well or just get better motor mounts so the engine doesn't rock back and slam the driveline into the diff.
Good luck