Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

MAP EF2 boost creep troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2012, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not to slam the customer here but more often then not a problem that is uncommon to a product is I is usually a user error. Send the turbo to MAP and they can test it out. If it is the turbo they can fix it and they have already offered to help with costs if it is. However if it isn't the turbo are you willing to do the same? It will cost MAP time to test your turbo.
Old May 14, 2012, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by batty200
Not to slam the customer here but more often then not a problem that is uncommon to a product is I is usually a user error. Send the turbo to MAP and they can test it out. If it is the turbo they can fix it and they have already offered to help with costs if it is. However if it isn't the turbo are you willing to do the same? It will cost MAP time to test your turbo.
I think the debate here is who should pay for the removal of the turbo to be sent back for testing. While this is an unfortunate situation to be in, I don't think any vendor would compensate to pay for the installation/removal labor costs. I am only speaking from my personal experience with MAP where I've had to send the turbo back in for testing and was taken care of without being given an attitude that SOME (we all know who these vendors are without mentioning names) vendors would do. The EF series turbos are definitely a new line of product and there are definitely going to be some issues but the key here is how MAP is handling these issues which in my opinion has been very well with great customer service.
Old May 14, 2012, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Adam Brunson
Well put, greatly appreciated and it was a pleasure working with you when I was with MAP.
Adam - sorry to see you leave MAP. It has been a pleasure working with you also and good luck with your future endeavors.
Old May 14, 2012, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm thinking one of two things here:
1. The "tuner" has the WGA arm preload set way too tight.
2. The TurboXS knock-off o2 elim dp is causing some sort of weird WG turbulence.
Old May 14, 2012, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
I'm thinking one of two things here:
1. The "tuner" has the WGA arm preload set way too tight.
2. The TurboXS knock-off o2 elim dp is causing some sort of weird WG turbulence.
I would also pump compressed air through the WG actuator (with regulator at a reasonable setting) to see what PSI the arm is actually moving at. This, along with setting base WG preload should be standard procedure during swaps...
Old May 14, 2012, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wanguru
I think the debate here is who should pay for the removal of the turbo to be sent back for testing. e.

not being rude but whats so difficult about unbolting a turbo yourself? why do you have to have someone else do it? its a little time consuming but fairly straight forward.
Old May 14, 2012, 11:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Please check preload accurately first before adjusting or blowing air into the actuator.
Old May 14, 2012, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not to thread jack but my last day is officially tomorrow. I already have Nate working under the MAPerformance name. He will take care of you without a problem I'm sure!

Cheers,
Adam

good luck on your new venture. my car is finally getting put back together and i had planned to meet the guys at MAP when i have planned to get tuned up there. Too bad your not with MAP anymore.
Old May 14, 2012, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TommiM
not being rude but whats so difficult about unbolting a turbo yourself? why do you have to have someone else do it? its a little time consuming but fairly straight forward.
It is definitely time consuming and takes some patience but worth the effort and experience gained. Best way to learn to do things.
Old May 14, 2012, 01:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Especially on an EVO X!
Old May 14, 2012, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Especially on an EVO X!
So true.
Old May 14, 2012, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

Especially on an EVO X!
I guess us EVO 8/9 guys have it a bit easier with turbo R&R
Old May 14, 2012, 04:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ChrisCarey
Have you already ordered one sir? Shoot me a pm with your details.
Chris what o2 and downpipe you want me to try? I'll buy one from you and even go to a different tuner since I know you too don't get along. All I want is my car to run right. Not bashing you or map or my tuner. I just spent thousands on parts and thousands on installs and it doesn't run right. So if it's nobody's fault and I got to spend more I guess it's what I got to do. You can put it up here or pm me or call me.
Old May 14, 2012, 06:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Please check the preload on the wastegate actuator and report back. This could alone solve all your issues.

Pop the arm off the turbo, hold the flapper shut with your fingers and snap a picture of how the hole on the actuator arm lines up with the "post" on the flapper.

I'm looking for the middle circle in the above picture. I want to see what yours is at, and I can recommend where it should be.
Old May 14, 2012, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

Please check the preload on the wastegate actuator and report back. This could alone solve all your issues.

Pop the arm off the turbo, hold the flapper shut with your fingers and snap a picture of how the hole on the actuator arm lines up with the "post" on the flapper.

I'm looking for the middle circle in the above picture. I want to see what yours is at, and I can recommend where it should be.
Well I hope when Nate spoke with my tuner they went over all this. But I will check, I would like to hope if it was that simple , my car would be right by now.

Quick Reply: MAP EF2 boost creep troubleshooting