Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Looking for all EVO 8, 9 people with 6 speed still.

Old Jul 29, 2012, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shep only rebuilds them to stock spec. He sold all of the custom gear sets.

The only reason I built mine was to see how far I can push the trans at the Texas Mile again. I was in 6th for over a half mile. With the FD change 5th will top out at 191 and 6th will be 236. My goal is 190+
Old Jul 29, 2012, 08:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by laramie_05MR
Shep only rebuilds them to stock spec. He sold all of the custom gear sets.

The only reason I built mine was to see how far I can push the trans at the Texas Mile again. I was in 6th for over a half mile. With the FD change 5th will top out at 191 and 6th will be 236. My goal is 190+
man i wanna see videos of your EVO going, man bet that car is a beast.
Also do you have all upgraded gears/syncros with the custom FD, or are you just better oiling system to the factory gears/syncros that are in the trans?
MIKE
Old Jul 29, 2012, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by milruner
Also do you have all upgraded gears/syncros with the custom FD, or are you just better oiling system to the factory gears/syncros that are in the trans?
MIKE
+1. How does it shift feel compare to stock?
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm still running my 6-sp, but I've also upgraded to the Shep 3-5 gearset. 350/325 on 91; 421/425 on E85. I do not drag race the car, but I do hit the track for lapping whenever I'm around and daily the car when I feel like it.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 08:17 AM
Evolving Member

I'm using all factory pieces. I was just going to replace the 4th syncro but after I read the FSM I had to replace the 3/4 hub and slider. Then once I went to order the parts they informed me I have to replace them as a set(3rd syncros, hub/slider and 4th syncro).
I'm not sure if that applies to the 9MR.

Chef-j I'll give you a ride when it is done. It will be a little brutal with the QM but other than that it will feel the same.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 11:20 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks everyone for the good info. Gonna be putting a oil cooler on my trans, and trying to do a few other things to keep my trans living long with the good HP I want to put down.
MIKE
Old Aug 3, 2012, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Thanks everyone for the good info. Gonna be putting a oil cooler on my trans, and trying to do a few other things to keep my trans living long with the good HP I want to put down.
MIKE
I think if you put an oil cooler and the best trans oil recommended for the 6speed (ask an expert, not randoms on this forum) you stand a good chance of having your trans live through some light duty track use at moderate power. Especially if your tuner is aware of your trans issue and makes a nice smooth torque curve instead of a massive sledgehammer hit of torque.

And even if you do break it, 6spds are rather cheap to come by. A low mileage mint one can be had for something like $600 to $800. And mitsu has all the parts needed to rebuild one as well. Unlike the tcase which only comes as a unit.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

My 6 speed had ZERO issues in the 3 years/30k that I put on it. Launched under 40x Id say. Never a grind or a peep. That was with 100+autox events and many street pulls. I am in the middle of looking to buy another evo and it will probably be a ix se. The 6 speed is so damn smooth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 4, 2012, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by deeman101
I think if you put an oil cooler and the best trans oil recommended for the 6speed (ask an expert, not randoms on this forum) you stand a good chance of having your trans live through some light duty track use at moderate power. Especially if your tuner is aware of your trans issue and makes a nice smooth torque curve instead of a massive sledgehammer hit of torque.

And even if you do break it, 6spds are rather cheap to come by. A low mileage mint one can be had for something like $600 to $800. And mitsu has all the parts needed to rebuild one as well. Unlike the tcase which only comes as a unit.
I also do think tranny oil cooler will helps alot with 6 spds.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

I'm using all factory pieces. I was just going to replace the 4th syncro but after I read the FSM I had to replace the 3/4 hub and slider. Then once I went to order the parts they informed me I have to replace them as a set(3rd syncros, hub/slider and 4th syncro).
I'm not sure if that applies to the 9MR.

Chef-j I'll give you a ride when it is done. It will be a little brutal with the QM but other than that it will feel the same.
Thanks.

Shep said build starts at 780 and should hold 350~400tq with fresh fluid. Humm that im guessing it will be better than normal 6spds?
Old Aug 4, 2012, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by blkmkIII
My 6 speed had ZERO issues in the 3 years/30k that I put on it. Launched under 40x Id say. Never a grind or a peep. That was with 100+autox events and many street pulls. I am in the middle of looking to buy another evo and it will probably be a ix se. The 6 speed is so damn smooth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had 86k miles, been through 2 stock clutches and was on a ACT hdss, 30+ drag launches (not including previous owners), 15 full road course days, etc. It was great, never had a problem. Until one fateful day.....
Old Aug 5, 2012, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

My trans has held 40+psi from my black. Don't ask how much HP/TQ as I don't know or care. I've never tried to see if 6th would take the abuse either but 1-5 has.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

My trans has held 40+psi from my black. Don't ask how much HP/TQ as I don't know or care. I've never tried to see if 6th would take the abuse either but 1-5 has.
Thats sounds pretty good to me.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 05:11 PM

I have driven plenty of 5 speed evos I know the trans can hold more power, but the trans shifting feels like crap, and can't compare to the 6 speeds shifting. Also I love to mod my car, plus I got the 05 MR knowing they only made about a 1000 of them, I just like to know I'm keeping it an MR still, and if I didnt really want a My MR I would of just got a regular 5 speed EVO. So think I'm going to show the doubtful what the 6 speed can really do.
MIKE
I love the devotion. And I agree the 6 speed feels great compared to the notchy 5 speed. Take the road less traveled!
Old Aug 6, 2012, 06:29 PM

I have an 05 ww evo MR 6speed still and it's making 401 whp 368 wtq Corrected on a mustang dyno uncorrected numbers are on my sig and I'm hoping to hit the drag strip this year..any body know the speeds of the gear revving to abt 8k

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking for all EVO 8, 9 people with 6 speed still.