Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 9 possible diff problem?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 9 possible diff problem?

Hello there i wonder if someone can throw any light upon a problem that i am currently experiencing with my Evo 9 FQ360.

Basically i have noticed within the last few weeks that the car has been sticking at a standstill as tho there is a brake binding or something like that but there isn't. Now on full lock,especially in reverse gear,the whole car stops and binds up and feels like it is running over something and no matter how hard one tries you cannot get it to move anywhere unless you straighten out the steering and then it moves away with no problem.

Now i am assuming it is a differential problem of some description but what i wish to ask someone in the know is if it is a rear diff fault or an ACD/Centre Diff fault?

Many thanks
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:35 PM

You can attempt to figure out if it is the rear differential or the center differential by jacking up the rear of the car and attempting to turn one of the rear wheels with your hands. With some force it should turn ( I don't know what type of rear differential the FQ so I'm not sure how much force it will require). If you're able to spin the rear tires without an excessive amount of force then this would lead me to believe the problem is in the center or front differential. Maybe someone else can chime in with the rear differential type an the amount of force that would be required to spin one rear tire.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
It is super easy to spin the rear wheels or the front wheels. If you have to strain yourself to spin them then you should check all fluid levels. Like powersteering, transmission, transfercase, and rear diff.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by deylag
It is super easy to spin the rear wheels or the front wheels. If you have to strain yourself to spin them then you should check all fluid levels. Like powersteering, transmission, transfercase, and rear diff.
An open differential should allow the wheel to spin freely and will provide virtually no resistance, yes. A limited slip differential will provide some resistance, this is normal.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Spider gears busted?

Sounds like you broke your spider gears in your front differential..

This is what I am getting from the OP. You can drive straight fine, but when you turn or "lock" the wheel left or right, while moving forward or backwards, it is binding or popping?

If so, I believe you've shattered the gears and would have to replace the front diff, located in the T-case.

And Raped.. the USDM Evo's have a mechanical type rear diff, while the EDM & JDM versions have AYC.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Raped
You can attempt to figure out if it is the rear differential or the center differential by jacking up the rear of the car and attempting to turn one of the rear wheels with your hands. With some force it should turn ( I don't know what type of rear differential the FQ so I'm not sure how much force it will require). If you're able to spin the rear tires without an excessive amount of force then this would lead me to believe the problem is in the center or front differential. Maybe someone else can chime in with the rear differential type an the amount of force that would be required to spin one rear tire.
Sorry I forgot to add that with the car on a ramp you can turn the front wheels very easy and with turning the front wheels the rear wheels do not turn in unison. But the rear wheels take some force to turn them and with turning the rear wheels the front wheels move in unison
Old Aug 16, 2012, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Black9
Sorry I forgot to add that with the car on a ramp you can turn the front wheels very easy and with turning the front wheels the rear wheels do not turn in unison. But the rear wheels take some force to turn them and with turning the rear wheels the front wheels move in unison
You will need to raise only the rear two wheels off the ground while leaving the front wheels on the ground in order to check the rear differential. If you have all 4 wheels off the ground its difficult to tell which differential is the problem. If the FQ comes with an open front differential (which I assume it doesn't) then you would probably be able to rule out the front differential as a possible problem.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by BEKevo
Sounds like you broke your spider gears in your front differential..

This is what I am getting from the OP. You can drive straight fine, but when you turn or "lock" the wheel left or right, while moving forward or backwards, it is binding or popping?

If so, I believe you've shattered the gears and would have to replace the front diff, located in the T-case.

And Raped.. the USDM Evo's have a mechanical type rear diff, while the EDM & JDM versions have AYC.
Yes that is correct i can drive straight fine but turning on either lock it binds up. Oh well i'll have to try and find a centre diff
Old Aug 17, 2012, 06:37 AM

Further to this problem i disconnected the propshaft off the rear diff today and the car drives fine.Reconnected the propshaft and it does the fault straight away. Any ideas?
Old Aug 17, 2012, 07:32 AM

Further to this problem i disconnected the propshaft off the rear diff today and the car drives fine.Reconnected the propshaft and it does the fault straight away. Any ideas?
This tells me that the problem is with the center differential. Good luck.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Raped
This tells me that the problem is with the center differential. Good luck.
Thanks everyone for your assistance. It has been most helpful
Old Aug 19, 2018, 05:55 AM

Thanks everyone for your assistance. It has been most helpful
Did you ever resolve this problem? what was the cause?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:01 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
If anyone has a rear diff issue, I have a Cusco RS 1.5 rear diff that gets rid of AYC. It's brand new, in the box. Off topic, but I really need to get rid of this thing