Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 9 GSR & TTR Built 2.3L Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2013, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I dont go through the oil quite like you do.

I do get some smoking under boost, which is why I am pointing my culprit to some excessive crankcase pressure.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tsidrift1
I dont go through the oil quite like you do.

I do get some smoking under boost, which is why I am pointing my culprit to some excessive crankcase pressure.
Yeah, the only smoking I see under boost is black smoke which smells and looks like being rich when getting in boost, then it's clean.

I'm monitoring use with Lucas Oil Stabilizer and so far it looks good, around 120miles since I put it in and I see no difference on the dipstick, or it's still not enough miles to indicate the use yet.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 07:16 PM
Evolving Member

subscribed! i have a built 2.3 and i had some oil burning as well. almost as severe. but the smoke in the rear gave it away eventually. it was my exhaust valve guides on my #3 cylinder. once the head was pulled, there was a noticeable difference in the others and they looked like they were on their way too. head comes back monday from the machine shop so ill see how it goes.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 07:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOJR$
subscribed! i have a built 2.3 and i had some oil burning as well. almost as severe. but the smoke in the rear gave it away eventually. it was my exhaust valve guides on my #3 cylinder. once the head was pulled, there was a noticeable difference in the others and they looked like they were on their way too. head comes back monday from the machine shop so ill see how it goes.
Nice, well mine is not smoking, only during acceleration and that's black smoke (rich). Well, looks like oil consumption is still there.

Last edited by bbong; Jan 7, 2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

So I think I know what the problem is, the 4th cylinder is pressurizing the oil pan, lots of air escaping from the dip-stick and the engine oil cap when doing a leakdown.

Leakdown came out as:
4 - 14% @ 96psi - Lots of air escaping through dipstick and engine oil cap
3 - 14% @ 96psi - Less air escaping, but still noticeable
2 - 11% @ 96psi - Quiet
1 - 10% @ 96psi - Quiet

I'm guessing the rings on the 4th and 3rd cylinder are **** and or hone/bore job TTR did on these are crap, eitherway I'm kind of disappointed as this is the engine that was built fully by them and from day one it was taking so much oil, where finally leakdown shown where the problem was.

I'll give them a call on Monday and see what they say, but I'm guessing that there is not going to be any good news from them :/
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

ive heard way to many bad things about turbotrix and seen there car break down numerous times at englishtown to ever trust them. I would suggest bringing your car to ivey if turbotrix dosnt help you out like they should.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

Yea.. Just like you I had a motor built at TTR (2.1L) and it was tuned by CBRD.. the motor had 2,000miles on it... It had oil consumption and everything I just didn't think much of it... Well it ended up have a cracked piston and threw a rod... Which idk how considering it was built to hold 800+awhp and it only made 456awhp on the dyno on a safe tune and I babied the car... Either way the stories from TTR are reoccurring and they will never have me as a customer again.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
The rockers were popped off when you did the leakdown? A pumped up lifter can throw this off even if you think you are fully closed.

Originally Posted by bbong
So I think I know what the problem is, the 4th cylinder is pressurizing the oil pan, lots of air escaping from the dip-stick and the engine oil cap when doing a leakdown.

Leakdown came out as:
4 - 14% @ 96psi - Lots of air escaping through dipstick and engine oil cap
3 - 14% @ 96psi - Less air escaping, but still noticeable
2 - 11% @ 96psi - Quiet
1 - 10% @ 96psi - Quiet

I'm guessing the rings on the 4th and 3rd cylinder are **** and or hone/bore job TTR did on these are crap, eitherway I'm kind of disappointed as this is the engine that was built fully by them and from day one it was taking so much oil, where finally leakdown shown where the problem was.

I'll give them a call on Monday and see what they say, but I'm guessing that there is not going to be any good news from them :/
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOjunky
Yea.. Just like you I had a motor built at TTR (2.1L) and it was tuned by CBRD.. the motor had 2,000miles on it... It had oil consumption and everything I just didn't think much of it... Well it ended up have a cracked piston and threw a rod... Which idk how considering it was built to hold 800+awhp and it only made 456awhp on the dyno

It had oil consumption and everything I just didn't think much of it... Well it ended up have a cracked piston and threw a rod...

Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sktng22
ive heard way to many bad things about turbotrix and seen there car break down numerous times at englishtown to ever trust them. I would suggest bringing your car to ivey if turbotrix dosnt help you out like they should.
I wanted to give them a benefit of doubt, especially that they fixed (o-ringed) my EJ257 and after that, the engine seen so much beating and track use, and never an issue, but that was back when they did Machining inhouse by (Tonny), Marks dad. And they also did few more EJ motors for my friends and never an issue.

I'll give Keith a call tomorrow and see what he says, but I think the oil use went up in my case significantly.

Yea.. Just like you I had a motor built at TTR (2.1L) and it was tuned by CBRD.. the motor had 2,000miles on it... It had oil consumption and everything I just didn't think much of it... Well it ended up have a cracked piston and threw a rod... Which idk how considering it was built to hold 800+awhp and it only made 456awhp on the dyno on a safe tune and I babied the car... Either way the stories from TTR are reoccurring and they will never have me as a customer again.
Yeah, me from day one, I was chasing the oil consumption and reading everything I could about these motors and where oil leaks can occur as I never seen any built motor consume so much oil, patched up all the leaks (banjo for turbo feed), (exhaust cam sensor cover), (oil pan), I've looked at everything just as my post says and I finally came around doing the leakdown.

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
The rockers were popped off when you did the leakdown? A pumped up lifter can throw this off even if you think you are fully closed.
I did not John, but would that in anyway skew with pressurizing the oil-pan? Wouldn't that just either let air out through intake or exhaust valve instead of oil-pan?

Last edited by bbong; Jan 20, 2013 at 08:32 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

8-10% is the normal limit which means some will go in the pan if the ring gaps are correct. The extra 4-6% you are seeing could be the valves. After re-reading your description of what its doing I see what you are thinking. I'd still be curious to see if it was different. What was the compression? I seem to have missed it in the thread?
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

8-10% is the normal limit which means some will go in the pan if the ring gaps are correct. The extra 4-6% you are seeing could be the valves. After re-reading your description of what its doing I see what you are thinking. I'd still be curious to see if it was different. What was the compression? I seem to have missed it in the thread?
I know its normal did few already on Subarus. Sure it'd go through oil pan but how would 3 and 4 pressurize it so much and 1 and 2 not ? Compression came out as being 1-125psi, 2-125psi, 3-124psi and 4-125psi so that made me thinking at first that it wasnt rings but after doing leakdown 4 and 3 were pushing lots of air into the oil pan vs. the other two. Im open to suggestions and willing to run more tests i have the video of leakdown for the 4th cylinder will post it soon.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

Here is the vid from the cylinder 4.

Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

No shaft play in the turbo?
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

No shaft play in the turbo?
There was, but very small. So what you're thinking John?

Quick Reply: Evo 9 GSR & TTR Built 2.3L Oil Consumption