Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 9 GSR & TTR Built 2.3L Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by evovin

It was using a half quart every 500 miles and i thought it was normal because of what i read from other people saying thats normal for a fresh motor.. i just tried to ignore it and hope it went away... yes i was in denial probably.. nobody wants to think that their fresh built motor is messed up with very minimal miles..

either way the guy who bought the car off me had the bottom end rebuilt by CBRD its now a 2.3L and he swapped the cams but is using the same head. But he is using the exact setup that was on it before and it barley uses any oil at all (he said it uses under a half quart every 2,000 Miles) and he just broke 12,000 Miles on the motor and he beats the living **** out of it...
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:21 PM
Evolving Member

Well, I tried calling TurboTrix today, but no answer, will try tomorrow, but eitherway I'm taking the motor out tomorrow and if TurboTrix is no show, I'll be taking the engine to Buschur they did pickup today and said the can probably re-use all my parts depends on their condition.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:51 PM
Evolving Member

Longblock is now at Buschurs for their remake , as for turbotrix well sucks but what can I do
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

you made a good choice.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I currently run a ttr 2.3 too. Like I stated before in the thread, I have some oil consumption, but nothing that I worry about as it seems its common for built blocks to use some oil. I do have some black smoke under boost and a lot of crankcase pressure.

I bought my longblock used though, I wouldnt have went to ttr for a new motor if I hadnt of found this longblock. I would have went to Buschur!
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bbong
So I think I know what the problem is, the 4th cylinder is pressurizing the oil pan, lots of air escaping from the dip-stick and the engine oil cap when doing a leakdown.

Leakdown came out as:
4 - 14% @ 96psi - Lots of air escaping through dipstick and engine oil cap
3 - 14% @ 96psi - Less air escaping, but still noticeable
2 - 11% @ 96psi - Quiet
1 - 10% @ 96psi - Quiet

I'm guessing the rings on the 4th and 3rd cylinder are **** and or hone/bore job TTR did on these are crap, eitherway I'm kind of disappointed as this is the engine that was built fully by them and from day one it was taking so much oil, where finally leakdown shown where the problem was.

I'll give them a call on Monday and see what they say, but I'm guessing that there is not going to be any good news from them :/
Dude, have u seen their "machine shop" area? It's a joke and they are hacks.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by way2qik
That makes me feel great about my motor lol.

Oh well though, it runs great! Smoother than my stock block did.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by way2qik
Yes, I've been there numerous times, when Tonny operated these machines, only reason why I went there was because my previous builds there are still running strong and they were only within 20min from me, when I lived in NY.

I had lots of mishaps with shops over the years, and people usually voice their opinion when something goes wrong, I'm sure there are tons of TTR engines out there that are still running well, it's just their ratio wasn't good enough and I've fallen in that ratio.

I kept telling myself, go to a reputable shop, do it once and do it right, yet I still went where it was more convenient for me, now I'm paying the price.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bbong
Longblock is now at Buschurs for their remake , as for turbotrix well sucks but what can I do
1. Grab your receipt and verify warranty
2. Point and say "ah ha!!" When you find the warranty period that still covers their work
3. Call a lawyer and have them give a threatening call
4. If step 3 doesnt work or cant be affirded, Call a cousin or fellow Evom member and have them call while posing as a lawyer and using big lawyer words
5. Sue them for the punt for a new build and costs that had your car down
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MRfabolous
i had a bad oil burning problem is was my intake valve stem check it out
Had the same thing on mine. Definitely worth checking.

l8r)
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
Had the same thing on mine. Definitely worth checking.

l8r)
Heads checked out fine, pressure test on heads came out good - few things that came out not good which I'm withholding until I know more, so I wont spread rumors until I'm sure.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

So... new engine from Buschur's, currently only about 300 miles on the motor and oil consumption still persists. I don't know WTF anymore, I'll probably be swapping the turbo out, but I hate to shell out more money on something that may not be the problem.

There are no leaks, no smoke under idle, slight smoke when getting on it but then it's normal, smoke looks like it gets rich for a little bit, but I still need to add oil a lot!

Maybe it's too early as it's only 300 miles on the engine, but crap this just doesn't make sense. Anyone got an Evo 9 Turbo that I could borrow before I actually go out and buy a new one?
Old Apr 18, 2013, 12:21 AM
Evolving Member

damn that sucks bro. I hope you get this figured out
Old Apr 18, 2013, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by civicej8
damn that sucks bro. I hope you get this figured out
I'll give it some more time, probably remove the turbo over the weekend and fix the crap the previous owner foobared with o2 housing (welded screws to the o2 housing) and closer inspect the turbo, but last time I did it, there was little shaft play and everything was free of any oil.

Let the engine acquire at least 1k+ miles to finally get nervous, but damn, where is the oil going, I don't see any smoke, no oil on the garage floor not even a drop and it's the second engine (well build). I'm just clueless right now.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Im curious to see what this is....since this is the second bottom end on the car, you've ruled that out as the issue.

Quick Reply: Evo 9 GSR & TTR Built 2.3L Oil Consumption