Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ABS vs Front LSD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2004, 02:22 PM
slt
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ABS vs Front LSD

I was reading in SCC that you can NOT make ABS work with 3 lsd's unless the center diff was active. It was stated that this is why the new RS lacks ABS with its Front LSD.

Sooo, does this mean that buying the RS's lsd and throwing it in my Evo will not work? Can anyone elaborate on the issues involved here?

On another note, how does the E-brake interact with the diffs? It doesn't seem that you can get the back end to swing out with it. Is that b/c of the lack of an active center diff?
Old Feb 9, 2004, 03:23 PM
slt
Evolved Member

ttt
Old Feb 9, 2004, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: ABS vs Front LSD

Originally posted by slt
I was reading in SCC that you can NOT make ABS work with 3 lsd's unless the center diff was active. It was stated that this is why the new RS lacks ABS with its Front LSD.

Sooo, does this mean that buying the RS's lsd and throwing it in my Evo will not work? Can anyone elaborate on the issues involved here?

On another note, how does the E-brake interact with the diffs? It doesn't seem that you can get the back end to swing out with it. Is that b/c of the lack of an active center diff?
Under deceleration, a front LSD should behave like an open diff, so there shouldn't be major problems. People have been putting LSD in their WRX's (not STI) without the active center diff and this has been fine. Vishnu has apparently just put a front LSD in their Evo (Kaaz?clutch type). Might be interesting to talk to them about it.

The rear hand brake action with front wheels pulling and rear wheels locked up however is only possible with an active diff or some kind of power disconnect to the rear wheels. A regular viscous diff would be too slow and you'd lock up the whole drive train to some extent.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 09:49 PM

This all depend on the nature of the LSD.

1-way LSD: Activates under acceleration
No activation under braking
Good for turn in
Works best at the front axle

1.5-way LSD: Activates under acceleration with some
activation under braking for stability
More understeer

2-way LSD: Activates under acceleration and braking
Stable under braking
Understeer is pronounced
More suited for the rear axle or FWD/AWD race setups

So to avoid conflicts with the ABS, I'd imagine the best choice would be a 1-way LSD for the front. As for the RS, my guess is the reason the ABS was deleted was due to the cost more than anything else.
Old Feb 10, 2004, 06:05 AM
ACM
Evolving Member

I have triple LSDs in my DSM - OEM VC centre, 1.5 way Kaaz clutch rear and Quaife helical front. My ABS seems quite happy, although like all AWD DSMs, it only operates in Select Low mode, so that could have something to do with it. I would have thought that with the sophistication of the EVO's ABD ABS it would not be so difficult to get everything working harmoniously.

Hand brake turns work just fine with a passive VC centre diff, the rears don't lock, but they don't need to, at least not on snow or ice, it works just fine.

Charles
Old Feb 10, 2004, 07:16 AM
slt
Evolved Member

Thanks guys