Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Wiseco 2013 Piston Releases

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Wiseco 2013 Piston Releases

Thanks to an OG DSMer now working at Wiseco, Ron Shearer, I can announce that most of the LR pistons will be available on the shelf. The specs wont mean much to someone that doesnt build engines, but the pistons are there for -

LR2.4, 153mm 2.2 (4G63) and 159mm 2.2 (4G64), 2.1L, etc.

Thanks Ron

Aaron

Last edited by JohnBradley; Jan 28, 2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Good to know. Now we just need someone to carry all of the rod lengths on the shelf.

Or does someone?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

R&R We have been developing everything we need to make it happen. Including the 153s which right now we are the only ones using.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
And here I thought the 100mm was going to be the one to go with.

So that throws the possibility of an off the shelf, 94mm stroke, 4G63 into the pool of options without having to go with the Manley piston ring over the piston pin. Now just need to pray for decent pricing for all of these luxuries we have been bestowed.

94mm stroke in 4g63 does not require notching the block, correct?

Last edited by nollij; Jan 22, 2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

With the 153mm I beam and 94mm crank we didnt have to notch it in the 4G63.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Pictures? I'm curious how the asymetrical skirt compares to the JE FSR pistons.

Offset wrist pin?

What style of gas ports are we talking here? Through the top of the piston into the chamber or on the top ring land radially out to the cylinder wall?

Do you know if the std size is a true 85mm requiring a hone to reach the right PTW clearances or are the clearances built into the piston for the stock bore?

Weight?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting, how do these differ from their current 1400 HD offerings (besides having them readily available for different build types)?

Thanks,

-Bink
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
Pictures? I'm curious how the asymetrical skirt compares to the JE FSR pistons.

Offset wrist pin?

What style of gas ports are we talking here? Through the top of the piston into the chamber or on the top ring land radially out to the cylinder wall?

Do you know if the std size is a true 85mm requiring a hone to reach the right PTW clearances or are the clearances built into the piston for the stock bore?

Weight?
I believe I either have a solidworks image or an actual piston here I can take a picture of. Gas ports are vertical, weight I am unsure of. According to Ron, these are the part numbers but not all pistons have made it into production so I dont believe we have all the weights as of yet. I can source the 2.0L stuff we have though.

Aaron
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

This is one of the prototypes we received in August for the Drag Talon. It is a 10:1, 150mm 2.0L, without gas porting, which was our piston program at the time. This weighed in at 335g but I have been told the new stuff will be a little lighter still. They will be coated as standard Wiseco practice, we tried some other piston coatings in that motor and received them all raw.

Aaron
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got a set of these being produced right now.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Cool, for an assymetrical strutted skirt design and a profiled dome, I thought they would be lighter.

I bet they can handle some serious abuse though.

What big valve reliefs you have.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
Cool, for an assymetrical strutted skirt design and a profiled dome, I thought they would be lighter.

I bet they can handle some serious abuse though.

What big valve reliefs you have.
Ahhh thanks for noticing The new ones we are having done for this year are going to be pretty trick. Taking this concept and running with it. I think thats about average weight for a full circle piston in that size, normally a 1400HD is 309-312g as I recall but we needed some extra beef for 53psi and Nitrous.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the difference's between the HD2's and the Asy Skirted pistons?
Cheers
Shane
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Based on the info and picture posted, the HD2 pistons are asymmetrical skirts as well. They also add gas ports to the ring area. Based on the thicker wall wrist pin and the look of the piston posted by Aaron, I'm betting they add some material to the back side of the crown for high cylinder pressures and add some to the wrist pin area to prevent the wrist pin from ripping out at high RPM. In other words, it looks like they built a bullet proof piston that weighs about the same as a normal full skirt piston. The HD2s are probably intended for 1000+ HP builts, but guys that want a bullet proof bottom end but don't need them would probably get a nice little shot of confidence with them as well.

For those not aware, the majority of the sealing a ring does is not from the spring tension in the ring. It's actually from the combustion pressure going down the gap between the cylinder wall and the piston, across the top face of the ring, and then pressing against the back side of the ring. Gas ports provide a direct path for the combustion pressure to reach the back of the ring. Some piston manufacturers will use radial or horizontal gas ports on the top ring land. This increases the flow area to the back of the ring without disturbing the combustion chamber area. Others use vertical ports that provide a direct passage from combustion chamber to the back of the ring.

Gas ports combined with a dry sump means you can run low tension rings to reduce frictional loses while still getting exceptional sealing under high cylinder pressures. Gas ports with standard tension rings lose some of the benefit, but can still improve power by providing better ring seal.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

There are gussets on the outside of the strut to the crown, internally the crown area is unchanged as far as I have seen.

Quick Reply: Wiseco 2013 Piston Releases