Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Full acceleration to stop = stalling

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2013, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am tuned. Lol
Old Jul 30, 2023, 01:37 AM

Was there a solution for this issue?? Mine is Speed Density tuned but I'm experiencing this problem with and without higher acceleration & sometimes while turning too. Appreciate if anyone with knowledge could help me out, it's VERY unfortunate for it to stall so consistently, especially if traffic on the highway comes to a halt, it has even stalled before I'm able to come to a complete stop thus losing braking power and nearly rear ending the car in front of me. Why does it seem like only Evos have these kind of weird *** problems? I love the damn car but it's giving me every reason to hate it. FML.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 08:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 385 Likes on 330 Posts
sounds like its the Idle Air Control valve
Old Jul 30, 2023, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
sounds like its the Idle Air Control valve
So I was told about the car having idle problems once I got the car, so once I bought it I replaced the IACV from Mitsubishi. I've only put about 3.5k miles on the vehicle; will it go bad that fast considering I haven't driven on it much?
Old Jul 31, 2023, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 117 Likes on 93 Posts
I had a similar issue that I was messing with for a while. I ended up finding a vacuum leak that caused the issue after trying different IACVs and MAPs.
For me, the leak I found was on the top of the throttle body where the EGR vacuum lines had been replaced with vacuum caps.
Old Jul 31, 2023, 08:00 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Adroz
So I was told about the car having idle problems once I got the car, so once I bought it I replaced the IACV from Mitsubishi. I've only put about 3.5k miles on the vehicle; will it go bad that fast considering I haven't driven on it much?
ok. mine failed recently and I had a few times the engine dying making a normal turn. As schuhie said, look for leaks. I bought my evo9 for $17k/50kmi because the owner gave up on his idling issue, which i found to be one of the tiny hoses behind the manifold.
The following users liked this post:
schuhie (Aug 1, 2023)
Old Jul 31, 2023, 11:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Vacuum leak, or could need to adjust the BISS some.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by schuhie
I had a similar issue that I was messing with for a while. I ended up finding a vacuum leak that caused the issue after trying different IACVs and MAPs.
For me, the leak I found was on the top of the throttle body where the EGR vacuum lines had been replaced with vacuum caps.
I do suspect those vacuum lines but I have those 2 lines looped back to each other since I have deleted my EGR system and it seems like the line on top (firewall side) is left open originally looking at the Service Repair Manual. Only thing I can check is if the hose itself has a leak. Considering your lines were capped I assume that your EGR system is also deleted or stopped from utilization? Did you change the caps and kept it sealed or did you connect the lines back to where they belong?

Update: I just checked the hose that I have looped and it doesn't seem like there is any visible leak. I doubt it but I'm wondering if having it capped instead of it looped will make any difference.

Last edited by Adroz; Aug 1, 2023 at 05:25 PM.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 04:14 PM

ok. mine failed recently and I had a few times the engine dying making a normal turn. As schuhie said, look for leaks. I bought my evo9 for $17k/50kmi because the owner gave up on his idling issue, which i found to be one of the tiny hoses behind the manifold.
Alright, I'll check for vacuum leaks around the manifold & throttle body. Would it be safe to not check the lines behind the manifold since those are mainly EGR lines which I'm not using at all because I have the lines looped back to each other on the throttle body so basically the EGR vacuum system from the throttle body on is omitted already.

Last edited by Adroz; Aug 1, 2023 at 04:29 PM.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 09:59 PM
EvoM Guru

dup
Old Aug 1, 2023, 10:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Alright, I'll check for vacuum leaks around the manifold & throttle body. Would it be safe to not check the lines behind the manifold since those are mainly EGR lines which I'm not using at all because I have the lines looped back to each other on the throttle body so basically the EGR vacuum system from the throttle body on is omitted already.
@Adroz
You shouldn't loop those two. one(FW side) is inside, the other is outside the throttle plate
schuhie (Aug 2, 2023)
Old Aug 2, 2023, 05:39 AM

Question

@Adroz
You shouldn't loop those two. one(FW side) is inside, the other is outside the throttle plate
I see, then I need to cap both lines then right?
Old Aug 2, 2023, 05:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 117 Likes on 93 Posts
@Adroz
I see, then I need to cap both lines then right?
Was going to say the same thing, don't loop them; cap them.
Vicious is right on the money as per usual lol
ViciousLSD (Aug 2, 2023)
Old Aug 2, 2023, 07:24 AM
EvoM Guru

cap them, with zip ties. or put something inside your looped hose to block airflow.
you can use them for a boost/vacuum or just boost gauge. I use mine to actuate a normally-closed valve
Old Aug 17, 2023, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by ViciousLSD;[url=tel:11971300
11971300[/url]]cap them, with zip ties. or put something inside your looped hose to block airflow.
you can use them for a boost/vacuum or just boost gauge. I use mine to actuate a normally-closed valve
So I capped both lines and got to drive the car around, but I’m still experiencing stalling when coming to full stop. I assume theres a leak somewhere on the manifold but haven’t got to check it yet.

Quick Reply: Full acceleration to stop = stalling