Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

evo 4 boost problem

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evo 4 boost problem

recently after hitting full boost engine light came on suddenly and power steering was lost momentarily, however since then car drives differently it seems as though when i first hit boost i get spool followed by a bit of lag then full boost. However if i just creep into boost i notice it more. Would this be due to a boost leak caused by over boosting or something else. Any ideas would be amazing, i have checked all the connections on the piping and cant see any issues.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:00 PM

Check ur vacuum lines and if u have an intake make sure its well connected i had da same problem and found out i had wrong vacuum lines that weren't supposed to b there hope this helps
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:39 AM
Evolved Member

First, what code did your check engine light throw? If you don't know, get it checked and let us know, it will help us to help you a lot.

If you have a boost leak you won't always find it by just looking, you need to do a boost leak test to be certain. If you know, what boost were you running before and after this happened?

It is possible that this may not be a boost issue, if you had some severe knock your ECU might be pulling timing. It will feel like a loss in power and I've heard people say severe cases can cause feedback through the steering wheel.

Have you changed the type of fuel you've been using recently?
Old Feb 23, 2013, 07:20 PM

i think i may have located the problem on top of the manifold there are two holes with thread which im guessing was for something else but it has been sealed by welds however i can feel air in one of the wholes so im wondering if it cracked a weld potentially.

currently as i accelerate you can hear it winding up but 0 boost until enough pressure that the wastegate opens and hit 12psi (which it is set to) would this make sense. either way it seems like it would need fixing either way.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

Why are you only boosting 12lbs?
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:35 PM

because i have no need to be driving around day to day on 20....