Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Funny turbo Kit!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2013, 10:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by siikEvo92 View Post
Holsets are a no no.
why are holsets a no no?? people have been using them for years...
I agree they are a cummings turbo which dodge has had some powerful trucks with them and seen in the import seen i know a few DSM guys that use them and like them

Holset's don't spool slow. They spool faster than their garrett or mitsubishi counterparts. Diesel exhaust is cold and slow moving.

The holset turbine wheel is a work of art. It has been shown to flow very well in a very small turbine housing. For example the hx40 turbine wheel in the small .55 ar bep bolton housing flows as much as a garrett gt35r turbine wheel in a larger .63 ar garrett t3 turbine housing. The hx40 with this configuration spools about 500rpms faster! You can upgrade to the .70 a/r BEP t3 turbine housing and have the same or slightly faster spool speed as the above gt35r with ALOT more flow per psi and consequently more horsepower per psi. This makes for VERY good pumpgas numbers.

Holset patented map width enhancement. They do not have extended tip technology, but there compressors show more efficiency than their garrett or mitsubishi counterpart.

They have superback technology witch leads to VERY, VERY durable compressors. The are designed to be overworked and underpaid.

The holset is fine with stock 4g63 oil pressure from the oil filter housing. If you have no b shafts, you'll need a restrictor. The drain line is a garret bolt pattern. The feed line is different for different turbos.

for the price they are they are nice turbos... granted i dont know about this one yet time will tell. im interested to know.. i know there are better turbos im not stating that but these arnt a bad turbo.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 11:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We mill, finish turn, and shot peen 80% of all Holset/Cummins turbo compressor wheels at my work. I would, without a doubt, buy a Holset if I was in the market for a big turbo. No sense in repeating anything, but what Nohatn said is right on the money.

Originally Posted by Nohatn
Holset's don't spool slow. They spool faster than their garrett or mitsubishi counterparts. Diesel exhaust is cold and slow moving.

The holset turbine wheel is a work of art. It has been shown to flow very well in a very small turbine housing. For example the hx40 turbine wheel in the small .55 ar bep bolton housing flows as much as a garrett gt35r turbine wheel in a larger .63 ar garrett t3 turbine housing. The hx40 with this configuration spools about 500rpms faster! You can upgrade to the .70 a/r BEP t3 turbine housing and have the same or slightly faster spool speed as the above gt35r with ALOT more flow per psi and consequently more horsepower per psi. This makes for VERY good pumpgas numbers.