Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Weird leak, and stutter.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2013, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird leak, and stutter.

Hey everyone, how's it going.
Start off by saying thanks in advance for any input and thoughts; I've appreciated having a community to talk to about our cars
I did a boost leak test the other day and found some MAJOR leak, I've read around but haven't found anything that seems to shoot straight to what I'm finding...
the best I can describe it is between the turbo and the starter. If i stick my hand right next to the wires to the starter I can feel it, but can't pinpoint it without taking everything off. it doesn't start leaking seriously until about 10#.

Symptoms are:
BOOST -good boost up to ~10#, then anything after that it starts to 'stutter'....doesn't pull as hard.. stock boost control it wont pass 10#, with an MBC I can get it higher but it stutters and jumps..
IDLE- the idle wanders a bit. if you're paying attention you can hear what i describe as it 'skipping a beat', where it sounds that it misses one of the 'beats' in its normal rumble sound while idling. *(this might be due to intake/exhaust mods w/out tune)
OIL- the charge pipe leading into the intercooler, I noticed had a decent amount of oil residue in the coupler, and there is smaller amount throughout.

Injen full pipe kit w intake,
Tanabe Concept G blue TB,
I bought the car this winter and those are the only things I have found that aren't stock and it's had this issue since.
I did some checks but all came back fruitless and didn't make sense in retrospect, so I'll leave it at that. would Really like to get this solved - on the plus side, If we fix it I'll get to see what boosting past 10#'s is like - look forward to it
Old Apr 6, 2013, 07:03 AM

Bump! anyone - ideas?
Old Apr 9, 2013, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well where the leak you can feel is probably between the turbo and J-pipe. Also, the boost controller vacuum line is there. Possible leaking as well.

With the intake installed, the car will run rich due to the MAF seeing a greater volume of air.

Can you check for any DTCs? or do you have check engine light on?
Old Apr 10, 2013, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by evolve_VIII
Well where the leak you can feel is probably between the turbo and J-pipe. Also, the boost controller vacuum line is there. Possible leaking as well.

With the intake installed, the car will run rich due to the MAF seeing a greater volume of air.

Can you check for any DTCs? or do you have check engine light on?
Hmmm, J-pipe.. I think the air was coming from the other direction, but maybe.

there was a small leak from the mbc vac line, but I fixed it. this leak is MUCH larger, and more of a whoosh.
And not sure what A DTC is, but no cel's at all. I have a wideband I haven't installed yet, so Im not sure where my mix is running to determine anything form that.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

soapy water in a spray bottle, take off what you have to.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
soapy water in a spray bottle, take off what you have to.
Yeah, I had been doing that but the leak is too large, and can't get water to it.
I think I'm going to take it all apart, get a good look at and figure out what it is. It'd be a good time to clean and replace some stuff too.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
the location and sound is a bit like the WGA. If it is the stock actuator the diaphram may be busted and shooting air out past the actuator rod.

That will also not allow the WGA to hold boost basically just the spring pressure in the WGA which happens to be 11 psi. Take thee line from the MBC going to the WGA and pump air in. listen to see if it escapes from the diaphragm can. If it does, buy a new one.

When you install it, set the pre load of the arm so thaat you have to pull up on the arm hard to get it on...factory setting is the pin should only be seen in 1/2 of the hole it goes in. To get more preload tighten the arm up so you cant see th epin at all and have to pull like hell to get it on. Be sure to dial the MBC down as the car will boost much more.

Oh and before you start running wild, get it tuned as it may then be running very lean from having much more air stuffed in. Stay out of boost until you do

Old Apr 11, 2013, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by WRC-LVR
the location and sound is a bit like the WGA. If it is the stock actuator the diaphram may be busted and shooting air out past the actuator rod.

That will also not allow the WGA to hold boost basically just the spring pressure in the WGA which happens to be 11 psi. Take thee line from the MBC going to the WGA and pump air in. listen to see if it escapes from the diaphragm can. If it does, buy a new one.

When you install it, set the pre load of the arm so thaat you have to pull up on the arm hard to get it on...factory setting is the pin should only be seen in 1/2 of the hole it goes in. To get more preload tighten the arm up so you cant see th epin at all and have to pull like hell to get it on. Be sure to dial the MBC down as the car will boost much more.

Oh and before you start running wild, get it tuned as it may then be running very lean from having much more air stuffed in. Stay out of boost until you do
Interesting, alright. I'll check it out.. thanks