Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

1st gear grind!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2004, 07:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 1st gear grind!!!!!!

I was driving my evo to work, approaching a stop sign. I slowed to a crawl, and upon attempting to put the car in first was rewarded with the most blood-curdling grind I've ever heard. (yes I had the clutch fully depressed) "****" I said to myself. I figured as long as it doesn't happen again I'm not going to worry about it. Well lo and behold, about 2 miles down the road, I go for first again at near idle speed and it grinds just as badly. I have owned 4 manual transmission cars and have NEVER ONCE had a gear grind other than in my evo, which now grinds 2nd, 5th, and 1st!!!! I have also NEVER MISSED A SHIFT IN ALL MY YEARS OF OWNING PERFORMANCE CARS. What the hell is going on here? My car now has:

a vibrating clutch pedal
1st, 2nd, and 5th gear grinds
an idle akin to that of a Harley with a misfire (so bad I can't see out the rear view, plus the steering wheel looks like it's going to rattle off )
too many interior rattles to count
a misaligned air box
a rattling TOB

and the best part is... 1016 miles
Old Feb 18, 2004, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

Theres lots of topics on here about Mits trannys. To shift into first you have to be completily stopped. Its made that way to prevent wear on the tranny. At least thats the way it is on the OZ Rally Ed. I believe the Evos have the same "problem" though.

Last edited by h8yourv8; Feb 18, 2004 at 07:23 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

I also have a hell of a lot of rattles inside my car. It really pisses me off when I've got my sound system cranked and it sounds like my cars gunna fall apart.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by h8yourv8
Theres lots of topics about Mits trannys. To shift into first you have to be completily stopped. Its made that way to prevent wear on the tranny.
Complete stop? First is triple syncro'd!! It's made to grind to prevent wear on the tranny?
Old Feb 18, 2004, 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

I also have a hell of a lot of rattles inside my car. It really pisses me off when I've got my sound system cranked and it sounds like my cars gunna fall apart.
Atleast you know your not alone
Old Feb 18, 2004, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by bluevilevo8

Complete stop? First is triple syncro'd!! It's made to grind to prevent wear on the tranny?
Sorry, I meant it's made to not let you down shift to first. You don't want to force it. Thats whats causing the grinding noise.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

I never down shift into first unless I come to a complete stop. I did that before in traffic, but now just creep in second
Old Feb 18, 2004, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry, I meant it's made to not let you down shift to first. You don't want to force it. Thats whats causing the grinding noise.
I know, but when you double clutch AND rev match it should not grind period. I don't mean to sound cocky, but I know what I'm doing. It just really caught me off guard. Maybe the dealer took it for a little joy ride and went on a gear grinding bender.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 08:59 PM
SoR
Evolved Member

With or without double clutch, rev match etc. you shouldn't shift into first unless fully stopped. When you go really really slow you can.
If you wanna force it in, go ahead but please don't post here later how Mitsu tranny sux.
You people should really learn some things to prevent breaking your car.
As someone else posted - it's funny how only clutches are reported blowing up.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

try some aftermarket tranny fluid
Old Feb 18, 2004, 09:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by SoR
With or without double clutch, rev match etc. you shouldn't shift into first unless fully stopped. When you go really really slow you can.
If you wanna force it in, go ahead but please don't post here later how Mitsu tranny sux.
You people should really learn some things to prevent breaking your car.
As someone else posted - it's funny how only clutches are reported blowing up.
I must have been going 2 mph

I need to learn things to prevent breaking my car? Don't post how mitsu's tranny sucks? Just because you were lucky and don't have tranny problems doesn't mean much...

Last edited by bluevilevo8; Feb 18, 2004 at 09:09 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 09:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Compjoc
try some aftermarket tranny fluid
I have some redline mt-90 sitting in the garage. Doubt it will help the grinding though...
Old Feb 18, 2004, 09:17 PM
SoR
Evolved Member

Originally posted by bluevilevo8

I must have been going 2 mph

I need to learn things to prevent breaking my car? Don't post how mitsu's tranny sucks? Just because you were lucky and don't have tranny problems doesn't mean much...
2mph is ok.. as long as you can shift in with no resistance it's good.
I haven't had tranny problems because I drive manual for over 10 years, I have finished driving school where they teach you the basics, I had to pass the state exam (no not US state) and I'm not trying to shift in the 1st gear at 45mph like another member here on evom and also I was gentle on my tranny during break in to allow for proper wear, unlike some smartasses that claim you need to drive it like you stole it to help *break in faster*
My $0.02
Old Feb 18, 2004, 09:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by SoR

2mph is ok.. as long as you can shift in with no resistance it's good.
I haven't had tranny problems because I drive manual for over 10 years, I have finished driving school where they teach you the basics, I had to pass the state exam (no not US state) and I'm not trying to shift in the 1st gear at 45mph like another member here on evom and also I was gentle on my tranny during break in to allow for proper wear, unlike some smartasses that claim you need to drive it like you stole it to help *break in faster*
My $0.02
I've been driving a manual for 8 years, and have never missed a shift in that entire 8 year period. I am definitely not the cause of my evo's tranny problems. I baby it in and out of every gear, giving the syncros plenty of time to do their stuff, and have also driven a non-syncro'd "crash box" manual. In all this time I have never experienced grinding while crawling in first, and as I said it caught me off guard. It seemed to glide right in as usual (if it doesn't, I NEVER force it), but it didn't take. I think it's time everyone came to the realization this car has issues. Some of which are accentuated by improper use, but many are just inherent. If the car is really so picky that it can't shift into first at a CRAWL with triple syncros, then this is a serious flaw.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dont put redline mt90 in your tranny. Use some BG Synchroshift. Do a search, trust me.

As far as 1st gear grinding, ive found you have to wait on the gearbox totally. If you rev match before you try to slip it in first, rev match and keep it in neutral for just a tad longer than you think you should. It should slip right in.

Ive found its VERY easy to get into first when your mobbin the car. Almost like the synchros are working well when your floggin it.

Quick Reply: 1st gear grind!!!!!!