Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

molybdenumnmn disulfide grease

Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
molybdenumnmn disulfide grease

Is this really needed for our throttle bodies or is there another type of film I can apply?

Car has been running like crap and its getting irritating "yes I cleaned it off im a retard now lets move on"

here are my options I was considering, I plan on going 530hp on my current set up with e85 and be done until the car is paid off and rebuild it. But this seems to be my last option here followed by a tubular manifold

- porting the intake manifold and and throttle body and they can apply that grease I mentioned earlier

- Upgrade to like a boomba throttle body or something bigger and porting the intake manifold

- Or buy a new intake manifold with a throttle body anyways

- Or reservice the throttle body and leave the intake mani alone if this doesnt hold my car back

Either way if the throttle body comes off im just going to do the intake manifold

Last edited by steven121; Jan 25, 2014 at 11:33 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can stop the iac and adjust the plastic idle screw on the throttle body and hope it will work right . I see your profile says your from texas. Texas is not one of the states molykote 321 is restricted for sale. There shoud be no reason you can't just order a can online and spray it on.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good old cv grease,driveshaft joints,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molybdenum_disulfide
Old Jan 25, 2014, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tones61
good old cv grease,driveshaft joints,

Molybdenum disulfide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'm not sure you understand the application this would be used for. The op cleaned off the seal on his throttle body that makes the butterfly plate air tight. He needs a sealant to block it off again. A sealant that would be able to withstand the butterfly plate going back and forth without stripping off while blocking air while the butterfly is closed. There are very few molybdenum products that can be used for this. Two i know of are molykote 321 and tomei throttle body sealant(would have to get it shipped from japan).
Old Jan 25, 2014, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rcheung
I'm not sure you understand the application this would be used for. The op cleaned off the seal on his throttle body that makes the butterfly plate air tight. He needs a sealant to block it off again. A sealant that would be able to withstand the butterfly plate going back and forth without stripping off while blocking air while the butterfly is closed. There are very few molybdenum products that can be used for this. Two i know of are molykote 321 and tomei throttle body sealant(would have to get it shipped from japan).
ok I wasnt sure at this point what to do I guess I can just order it off ebay and fix my issue

would I have to get a new gasket for the manifold and throttle body as well? I recently just replaced the seals with milspec so I wasnt sure if it was a 1 time seal and thats it

is it also a grease, or a spray type film from a can? Or does it matter just trying to see how much to put on the butterfly seal

Last edited by steven121; Jan 25, 2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by steven121
ok I wasnt sure at this point what to do I guess I can just order it off ebay and fix my issue

would I have to get a new gasket for the manifold and throttle body as well? I recently just replaced the seals with milspec so I wasnt sure if it was a 1 time seal and thats it

is it also a grease, or a spray type film from a can? Or does it matter just trying to see how much to put on the butterfly seal
It is called a lubricant but its a dry lubricant. It sprays on wet and when it dries it acts more like a sealant which a part can be moved back and forth while keeping the seal intact. There are many molybdenum dry lubricant sprays out there but there arent many that can't seal the throttle plate well. I also cleaned off my sealant and couldn't find a moly spray that would adequately seal the throttle plate that was not restricted for sale in my state. Molykote 321 is restricted for sale in CT, DC, DE, IL, MA, MD, ME, MI, NJ, NY, OH, RI and VA. I wound up ordering a can of tomei throttle coat which is a sealant that is brushed on to the throttle plate and did work very well but had to be special ordered from japan.

Last edited by rcheung; Jan 25, 2014 at 03:11 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rcheung
It is called a lubricant but its a dry lubricant. It sprays on wet and when it dries it acts more like a sealant which a part can be moved back and forth while keeping the seal intact. There are many molybdenum dry lubricant sprays out there but there arent many that can't seal the throttle plate well. I also cleaned off my sealant and couldn't find a moly spray that would adequately seal the throttle plate that was not restricted for sale in my state. Molykote 321 is restricted for sale in CT, DC, DE, IL, MA, MD, ME, MI, NJ, NY, OH, RI and VA. I wound up ordering a can of tomei throttle coat which is a sealant that is brushed on to the throttle plate and did work very well but had to be special ordered from japan.
Would it be easier to just order a new throttle body from boomba or buschur? I can probably sell mine for $80 anyways because I put new seals on it. Im about to look on ebay for it and hopefully it wont cost me alot order from japan my god sounds expensive already for just 5 coats
Old Jan 25, 2014, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Cheapest is 34 bucks i might post a thread to see if anyone needs theirs coated for $5 or something and have them pay for shipping I only need it for 5 coats after that I dont need the can anymore
Old Jan 26, 2014, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Try Grainger or McMaster Carr. They should have it and would be able to ship it ot Texas since Texas doesnt restrict it.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WRC-LVR
Try Grainger or McMaster Carr. They should have it and would be able to ship it ot Texas since Texas doesnt restrict it.
Yea I was going to head there tomorrow there is an industrial store up the street, I can pick up a can for about $15 which is fine with me and the product is call lps force 842 seems legit and I can finally fix my idle.

Well if it works ill probably just start a throttle body service of cleaning for people on here until the can is gone I only need it for 3-5 coats on the butterfly plate