Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

I'm out of ideas. Help please!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2014, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm out of ideas. Help please!

Alright, 2005 VIII, I bought the car with a handful of bolt ons, kelford 64s, and a tune. Tuned to 25psi. I've been slowly uncovering that there may be bigger issues than what i had thought. When i first bought the car a few weeks ago I didn't notice the issues, but being my DD i am noticing it. If I drive the car and have to slowdown for stop lights, signs, or traffic I notice that the rpms drop way down. The oil light comes on, and the car then picks itself up and sits at about 1000 rpm. The other day, my brother wanted to hear me rev the engine up, so I bumped it to about 4000, not thinking this would be a bad idea. As soon as I let go of the gas the car shut off. I started it right back up, and just out of curiosity I did the same thing, right up to 4000 and it died again. So i figured, maybe fresh plugs and an oil change would help the car out a little. So i put in ngk br8es gapped to .025. And the oil was mobil 1 5w-40. (This is what the previous had records for being used.)
I then go for a little ride, and still the same problem exist. I am out of ideas..
HELP ME!
Thanks in advance,
Curtis
Old Feb 1, 2014, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

Let me guess, VTA BOV?
Old Feb 1, 2014, 08:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My brain also goes to what has already been posted. After that I'd be looking at the tune. If the RPMs are dropping to quickly for the ECU to catch it may be something in the tune that needs to be adjusted, but I'm no expert.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Autoxevo
Let me guess, VTA BOV?
No, sorry. That's what I forgot to mention. Its a synapse, set to recirc. Sorry, always forget that.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 09:22 PM

And it was put on before the tune.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 03:46 PM

Bump!
Help Please!
Old Feb 2, 2014, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
when you rev'd it up did it hit the 2step limiter? If the fuel for the 2step is wrong it will kill the car.

AKA. Get a tune from someone reliable AKA Chris @ Pure Drive Performance

BTW You should get BPR8ES or BPR7ES and gapped to .20-21 since your above 20 psi imo.

What Clutch/Flywheel combo does this car have?

Last edited by kaonashi; Feb 2, 2014 at 04:21 PM.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by kaonashi
when you rev'd it up did it hit the 2step limiter? If the fuel for the 2step is wrong it will kill the car.

AKA. Get a tune from someone reliable AKA Chris @ Pure Drive Performance

BTW You should get BPR8ES or BPR7ES and gapped to .20-21 since your above 20 psi imo.

What Clutch/Flywheel combo does this car have?
Its stock clutch/flywheel. And I'll be taking it to a local guy here in Indiana.
I'm still learning a lot, what is the 2 step limiter?
And what difference does the protruding tip make compared to not?
Old Feb 3, 2014, 11:47 AM

Bump. I have no idea what is causing this. Please help!
Old Feb 3, 2014, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have a pro tuner look over your logs to make sure its not tune related.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

Most likely a tune issue. Are you running the defrost at the time it dies? My defrost used to kill my VIII coming to a light in neutral. I had my tuner raise the rpm's and now it's fixed.

Also, run stock plugs for that amount of boost (heat range 7, gapped to .02). 8 is one step colder.

http://www.maperformance.com/ngk-iri...x-dsm-evo.html
Old Feb 3, 2014, 03:32 PM

Thanks guys. I called the guy I'm gonna have tune it, went for a ride with him and he said it seems like whoever supposedly tuned it before did a terrible job.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 05:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
could also be an issue with the IACV (idle air control valve). I've personally seen people have issues with this a handful of times. I am guessing that because of the time of year, you arent running the AC when this is happening? The reason M8NSTER was having issues with the defrost is because the AC compressor cycles when it is on, requiring an idle bump to compensate for the added load. A dirty idle air control can make it difficult to keep the car running at idle. You may also have a vacuum leak as well, have you checked all of the lines?

Seeing how you have the kelfords in there too, like others said, the tuning may be the culprit. hope this helps some, good luck!
Old Feb 3, 2014, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by alex_s817
could also be an issue with the IACV (idle air control valve). I've personally seen people have issues with this a handful of times. I am guessing that because of the time of year, you arent running the AC when this is happening? The reason M8NSTER was having issues with the defrost is because the AC compressor cycles when it is on, requiring an idle bump to compensate for the added load. A dirty idle air control can make it difficult to keep the car running at idle. You may also have a vacuum leak as well, have you checked all of the lines?

Seeing how you have the kelfords in there too, like others said, the tuning may be the culprit. hope this helps some, good luck!
Thanks, I do appreciate it! I've checked all vacuum lines and did a boost leak test, as those were two things i found when looking online that could have been an issue.
Where is the IACV located?
Old Feb 4, 2014, 03:48 AM

Black solenoid on the lowest part of the throttle body, also make sure your BISS screw is properly adjusted.