Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

FP Stainless Housing

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2014, 06:54 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Bladey
I always thought it used the 65mm wheel which if i remember correctly it said on there website, but we shall see Wonder if this will give the green a bit more top end?
I just reread the HTA Green product description, and I think you are correct. Looks like they left a bit of text about the prior smaller 65 mm wheel. If they have moved up to the larger wheel in combination with the new housing, there should be two reasons for more top end. However, I think that the bigger wheel would delay the boost threshold somewhat and increase the transient time a bit. Always trade-offs.

From the FP website
EVO IX BB Green

Compressor wheel - 73HTA
Flow rating - 54LB per minute
CW Measurements - 52.6MM Inducer / 73MM Exducer
TW Measurements - 67.3MM Inducer / 58.8MM Exducer
Compressor Housing - 84MM Flow Advancement Port Cover or 64MM Stock Appearing
Turbine Housing - FP Stainless EVO 9 Turbine Housing
CHRA - FP Dual Ceramic Ball Bearing
Oil Line - Included
Recommended oil - High quality non GF-4 synthetic

The Green with it's quick response and hard hitting power curve has long been the go to turbo for the Street crowd not wanting to sacrifice spool for a 500WHP trap speed. If you want a turbo that'll break necks but not make you wait the Green is the turbo for you. Unlike it's larger siblings the Green utilizes a smaller 65MM turbine and the potent but and quick responding 73HTA compressor wheel.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Spoke to Michael the other day about my DBB green that they are rebuilding for the new buyer. Turbo was produced 1/09/12 and it has the 65mm turbine wheel.

Michael said the initial testing was done on a green with a 65mm turbine wheel and they saw a close to 50hp increase and this was on a 2.3. There was also no difference in spool. The increase should be more with the current 67mm turbine wheel and spool difference should be minimal.

This makes my decision to go to a BBK-BB-B. I have to decide now since Toxic Fab is making me a custom O2 housing....LOL
I wonder what size turbine wheel the BBK-BB-B uses and if I could try the FP turbine housing on the BBK? If I could I would hope it would make some gains on the BBK as well.
Anyone know the size turbine on a BBK-BB-B?

Why now......LOL

Last edited by michaelrc51; Mar 8, 2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 11:25 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by michaelrc51
Spoke to Michael the other day about my DBB green that they are rebuilding for the new buyer. Turbo was produced 1/09/12 and it has the 65mm turbine wheel.

Michael said the initial testing was done on a green with a 65mm turbine wheel and they saw a close to 50hp increase and this was on a 2.3. There was also no difference in spool. The increase should be more with the current 67mm turbine wheel and spool difference should be minimal.

This makes my decision to go to a BBK-BB-B. I have to decide now since Toxic Fab is making me a custom O2 housing....LOL
I wonder what size turbine wheel the BBK-BB-B uses and if I could try the FP turbine housing on the BBK? If I could I would hope it would make some gains on the BBK as well.
Anyone know the size turbine on a BBK-BB-B?

Why now......LOL
There's more to it than just wheel size for housing compatibility. Profile matters as well.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
There's more to it than just wheel size for housing compatibility. Profile matters as well.

I thought they could probably machine the housing if necessary. I pretty much figured it wouldn't just bolt up. If the profile is smaller I guess that the housing wouldn't work. Maybe, they can make it happen....I don't know I am not a machinist.
Just thought maybe it would be possible, from what Michael said the gains are pretty good and it didn't sacrifice any spool. I am spending a lot of money and an extra 50hp would be better. Plus, I need to decide now since the O2 housing is going to bebuilt soon.

I guess Chad would have to make that decision and also decide if he wants to try it and if it would be worth his time.

Any idea what the size of the turbine wheel is?
Old Mar 8, 2014, 12:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Nope.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am sure Chad could have it machined just like if you sent him a stock housing to machine.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unless the bbk B has a smaller turbine wheel. Then you are stuck.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by batty200
I am sure Chad could have it machined just like if you sent him a stock housing to machine.

Yeah, I emailed him.....we'll see....
Old Mar 10, 2014, 07:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bladey
Hey just wondering does this mean the HTA JB green will have a 67mm turbine wheel now? If yes would love to see some data comparing the two
Up until the change over to the new housing the Green BB used a 65MM turbine wheel. The data I posted earlier of the dyno and motec log are with the new 67MM Green BB in the stainless housing, not 65MM.

Originally Posted by mrfred
I think that the HTA Green has always had a 67 mm (inducer) turbine wheel. The exducer value they list on the updated HTA Green product page matches what I measured before I installed my JB HTA Green.
JB Greens have been 67MM for quite some time.

Originally Posted by michaelrc51

That's correct from the previous time with a BB Green with a 65MM wheel in a 10.5 hotside we picked up 50WHP and had a negligible increase in boost thresh hold and no increase in transient response using a 67MM turbine wheel BB Green in the new housing.

-Michael
Old Mar 10, 2014, 06:21 PM
kpr
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Michael , How can we tell if our Green's have a 65 or 67 wheel? I need to send mine in for rebuilding, is there going to be an extra charge foe the 67?
Old Mar 10, 2014, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael @ FP

That's correct from the previous time with a BB Green with a 65MM wheel in a 10.5 hotside we picked up 50WHP and had a negligible increase in boost thresh hold
What is the boost thresh hold difference (in RPM's) compared to the 65MM BB Green?
Old Mar 11, 2014, 12:27 AM
EvoM Guru

Up until the change over to the new housing the Green BB used a 65MM turbine wheel. The data I posted earlier of the dyno and motec log are with the new 67MM Green BB in the stainless housing, not 65MM.

JB Greens have been 67MM for quite some time.

Fascinating - so the JB Green has been using a 67 mm wheel while the BB Green had a 65 mm wheel?
Old Mar 14, 2014, 08:43 AM
Former Sponsor

The first batch of these turbos are shipping out today to customers and shops, can't wait to see what they do with them.

-Michael
Old Mar 14, 2014, 08:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by kpr
Michael , How can we tell if our Green's have a 65 or 67 wheel? I need to send mine in for rebuilding, is there going to be an extra charge foe the 67?
Easiest way is to measure the inducer of the turbine wheel but if the turbo has been made in the last two years and it's BB it's gonna be a 65MM wheel. If it's JB then it'll use a 67MM wheel.

Originally Posted by kpt6
What is the boost thresh hold difference (in RPM's) compared to the 65MM BB Green?
From the 10.5 w/ a 65MM wheel to the SS Housing w/ 67MM turbine there was only around a 200RPM increase over previous logs on our test car.

- Michael
Old Mar 14, 2014, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
From the 10.5 w/ a 65MM wheel to the SS Housing w/ 67MM turbine there was only around a 200RPM increase over previous logs on our test car.

- Michael
That's pretty damn awesome.

Quick Reply: FP Stainless Housing