Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Timing belt keeps skipping a tooth.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2014, 03:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did this in my driveway a few times too, it was the tensioner pulley not adjusted properly.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 05:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoHung
I did this in my driveway a few times too, it was the tensioner pulley not adjusted properly.

I definitely agree, also check your oil pump make sure that is not messed up happened to me twice the oil pump went bad and jumps timing
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most repair shops don't know how to properly set up the dual tensioner system on Mitsubishis, the Evo included. If they try to set it like a Honda/Toyota/Subaru then it will be wrong. You need to take it to someone who knows Mitsubishis.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dual tensioner? I only remember one while doing my timing belt
Old Mar 13, 2014, 05:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by prowakeskater
dual tensioner? I only remember one while doing my timing belt
there is a hydraulic tensioner and a tensioner pulley
Old Mar 13, 2014, 06:06 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Though I did take it to three different mechanics each time it's popped off, I'm not going to rule out that it was installed incorrectly. I'll take it to my new regular mechanic and replace ALL the parts (again) but this time I'll make sure it's all OEM parts. I'm still deciding on a belt, Someone told me to even consider HKS cam gears.

anyway, does anyone know where I can get OEM parts for cheap :S The stealership wants me to sill a kidney.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:46 AM
Evolving Member

Yes, make sure all parts are OEM. Ignore whoever told you to get HKS cam gears to fix your problem, this is not the issue.

Order all your parts from either jnztuning or mitsubishiparts.net. These will be OEM parts and usually the best pricing on them. If all OEM parts were not bought the first time around, I would say this is more than likely the root of your problem (tensioner related). Goodluck!
Originally Posted by LancerSRT4
Thanks for the info guys. Though I did take it to three different mechanics each time it's popped off, I'm not going to rule out that it was installed incorrectly. I'll take it to my new regular mechanic and replace ALL the parts (again) but this time I'll make sure it's all OEM parts. I'm still deciding on a belt, Someone told me to even consider HKS cam gears.

anyway, does anyone know where I can get OEM parts for cheap :S The stealership wants me to sill a kidney.