Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

weir 12 plate install to EVO 8 2005

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2014, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
weir 12 plate install to EVO 8 2005

Hi,

So quick question. How long does the 12 plate take to install? Are there any tricky parts to doing it? Any thing to watch for during re-assembly or re-fitting the LSD to the rear end?

LMK,

thanks
Old May 13, 2014, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
It took me 8 hours to do it the first time. The second time it took 4 hours. A torque wrench is essential.

The most important thing is that you put the diff back in the correct direction because its one way.

One tool that makes it easier is a table vise to hold the diff.
Old May 13, 2014, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Wow..Well I was going to have a shop do this but no way i can afford 8 hours labour at $100 /hr.

In looking back I thought I saw lots of posts where this is easy, 2-3 hours tops, very much like doing the stock plate re-stack. Was your 8 hours because of the extra plates? just not having done it before, difficulty in getting the LSD in or out?

Sorry for the questions but I like to know what im getting into i f i have to do it myself..

I do have torque wrenches and zillions of tools including air impact.

Was there any need to set shims or anything like that?
Old May 13, 2014, 07:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
You need to make sure you keep the bearings/spacers on the same side you took them out of. As deylag said you also need to pay attention to the directions and how the diff is oriented. I didn't do just the diff, but 4 hours sounds about right especially if you have an impact gun. It's actually pretty simple.
Old May 14, 2014, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i did it about 4 hours. 6 tops. no air tools.
its not difficult, a table vise is essential for torquing everything down.
the number of plates doesnt add to the time. 1 important thing is dont puncture the rear diff axle seals when you put the axles back in or you will have a leak.
take notice of the correct orientation, like stated above its a 1 way diff.
another important thing, the rear diff carrier bolt mounts to an aluminum piece. DO NOT strip it or you will hate urself. finger thread it in as much as u can before cranking.

it seems like a tough job but its actually really straight forward. I would recommend doing it yourself if you have wrenched before.
Old May 14, 2014, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by WRC-LVR
Wow..Well I was going to have a shop do this but no way i can afford 8 hours labour at $100 /hr.

In looking back I thought I saw lots of posts where this is easy, 2-3 hours tops, very much like doing the stock plate re-stack. Was your 8 hours because of the extra plates? just not having done it before, difficulty in getting the LSD in or out?
Well if a mechanic did this with access to a lift, transmission jack, and air tools. I could see them getting it done in 2 hours.

Yes it took about 8 hours because it was the first time I did it. It took me that long because the Evo was being supported with jack stands and I was on the ground using hand tools. Took the time to document each step with photographs. Cleaned the outside and inside of the rear diff with degreaser till it was clean as possible. When I re-stacked the plates and went to a local shop to borrow their table vise to torque the diff bolts to spec. Then put the rear diff cover back on with gray RTV and let it sit for an hour before re-installing into the Evo.
Old May 14, 2014, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2-4 hrs on the first pass. Yep your going to need some tools, if you don't have them forget it. Call whom ever you bring your car to and get an estimate--using 8hrs @100.00 an hr is obscene. The job is straight forward, you unstack and restack--that's it.