Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Transfer Case Replacement [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2004, 05:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess this is why the stock clutch is a little soft.
Old Jan 23, 2004, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just wait until all of the big turbo kits hit the streets and tracks. I do not think that this will be the last, guess that means I will take a wait-and-see approach to the whole big turbo thing.
Old Jan 25, 2004, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Dale_K
I guess this is why the stock clutch is a little soft.
Definitely! And I bet we will see more and more of this issue with all of those beefier clutches running around now.
Old Feb 20, 2004, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Anyone else having problems with their Transfer cases

I have 2600 miles on my Evo and the front transfer case is shot.. I have an appoitment on Tues to have it looked at... Just wondering if this is common with others... i know of two so far....
Old Mar 8, 2004, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

Transfer Case Question/problem

Well, went into my dealer last week with a winding down type sound last week. Said it was the transfer case. Replaced an expensive part on it and i brought all the fresh new Redline oil for my Trans and tranfer case. 50 miles and 2 days later the same sound starts again. I brought it back today. They say its the same problem. So now they have to get an "OK" from Mitsu on getting the same part AGAIN. They are going to replace the same part next week but instead of using the redline, use there Oil at the service Dept. Doubt that will fix it. The thing they found again today was small metal particles in the transfer case oil. And thats after only about 50 miles this most recent time. Anyone have any clue, they seem a bit clueless and in fact are contacting Mitsu Tech for help about this particular problem. Anyone have any ideas of what it could be?!??! I just want to figure it out and get this crap over with...... Thanks......
Old Mar 8, 2004, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

Anyone???
Old Mar 8, 2004, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is no answer. They are replacing the transfer cases as a whole and while it has been reported they are shimmed too tight the dealer is going to get an entire unti from MMC and put it in.
Old Mar 8, 2004, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

man is it me or has there been a glut of tranny repair horror stories lately??

good luck jay - let us know when they figure out what caused the problem twice. are you 100% sure they really replaced anything the first time? what part did they claim to have replaced?
Old Mar 8, 2004, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah I've been noticing the transfer case issues!
Old Mar 9, 2004, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same thing happend to me. Broke my transfer case, paid to get it fixed. Then after about 300 miles of easy driving a horrible whinning noise started. Took the transfer back out and found out that the pinion was not set up right from the manufacture. Mitsu warrantied the second one out as a defect.
Old Mar 9, 2004, 01:54 PM

And yet another to the jacked transfer case list...

Went to the dealer and he said my differentials/transfer case were ****ed. Transmission oil came out real dark and had a lot of metal shavings in it. It did have Redline in it...$45 down the drain...literally!!

Here's my original post https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=68994

How long does it usually take to fix? Is this a factory defect or something I might have done? Is the transfer case different then the transmission itself? I thought theses trannys were supposed to be bulletproof
Old Mar 9, 2004, 02:03 PM
SoR
Evolved Member

Seems that something is definitely wrong with US Evos.

I'm actually scared to drive my car now after reading all the posts with transfer case and tranny problems.
My car has the same exact noises as some of you guys here but since it's relatively new (2000 miles) I haven't had a chance to drive it hard yet due to break in so maybe that's the reason I'm not noticing any problems.
Old Mar 9, 2004, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

How many is that now?
Old Mar 9, 2004, 02:46 PM
SoR
Evolved Member

My counting so far was between 3 and 5 that were really broken and had their stuff replaced while many others having the noise but everything still fine and car drivable.
Old Mar 9, 2004, 04:50 PM

Re: And yet another to the jacked transfer case list...

Originally posted by CleveBrownsFan

How long does it usually take to fix? Is this a factory defect or something I might have done? Is the transfer case different then the transmission itself? I thought theses trannys were supposed to be bulletproof

Anyone?

Quick Reply: Transfer Case Replacement [MERGED]