Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

which oil filter for 15w-50

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2004, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I may not have explained that quite right the 10W 30 is not thicker than a 5W -30 that the idea it just flow better at cold temps , its the same thickness thats what i am trying to say. and like mentioned before if you can get a 50 that can flow like a 5W oil then how could you say it is thicker. it has better Viscosity stability. yes the W means winter which just means how the oil flows at cold temp.

the article is not amway oil

its Amsoil not sure why you think it sucks look like most other synthetic oil.
Old Mar 15, 2004, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

i have 15-30 in and it feels good to me, but i will go back to 10w next time
Old Mar 15, 2004, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by mksevo
I may not have explained that quite right the 10W 30 is not thicker than a 5W -30 that the idea it just flow better at cold temps , its the same thickness thats what i am trying to say. and like mentioned before if you can get a 50 that can flow like a 5W oil then how could you say it is thicker. it has better Viscosity stability. yes the W means winter which just means how the oil flows at cold temp.

the article is not amway oil

its Amsoil not sure why you think it sucks look like most other synthetic oil.
I hate amsoil. I called it "Amway' because I compare the whole company to an old door to door sales company.

Other oil companies don't even acknowledge them. Some of their oils are not even certified.

I just don't like them for alot of reasons. More power to you if you like it. Sorry, I am not trying to start a flame-fest.

Be safe out there.
Old Mar 15, 2004, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by RonV
I hate amsoil. I called it "Amway' because I compare the whole company to an old door to door sales company.

Other oil companies don't even acknowledge them. Some of their oils are not even certified.
Unfortunately, the non API/ACEA nature of the Amsoil is becoming a requirement for performance oils. API SL lowered the zinc additives by a significant portion (i can pull the numbers if you want them) because of "possible", yet very rare, catalytic converter poisonings.

Just to let my opinions fly a bit, i doubt i'll ever buy Amsoil. I don't like the fact they push their dealers to having a webpage, all of which spew the same marketing drivel. I have come across VERY knowledgable people, Paul Seminara, Mike Sparks and Ted Kublin, but these guys seem to be the exception. Al Amazuto has pushed the marketing of this very good oil to the stratosphere, and i don't really appreciate that.

As i'm sure all of you have noticed, my biggest beef with oil recommendations is they're generally based upon little to no fact. No oil analysis to see how the engine is holding up. No long term test then tear-down to see bearing wear or sludging. I would say any API SJ/SL oil will protect most every car for 100k miles. So just saying "it's the greatest" is the same as saying "my car still runs".

ferb!