Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 8 shifter spring

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2014, 07:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 8 shifter spring

Hey guys,
If I am in the wrong place please direct me where to go. Anyway, I am looking into a 2003 Evo 8. I talked to the guy selling it on the phone, he seemed like a pretty straight up guy. He was very honest and tried to tell me everything he could. There are a few problems I am concerned with and I was wondering you guys could give me some input. Cosmetically not the best, but that is something that can be fixed over time. Two main concerns: 1. He is stating that there is rust under the rear suspension and undercarriage. I have searched around and seeing that SURFACE rust is normal for cars in states such as Ohio, nj, New York, etc. he is sending me more in depth pictures today. 2. He is stating that there is no shifter spring therefore it doesn't go into gear where it should. He says there is a "learning curve". why would someone remove or tamper with that? It has a brand new clutch(4k miles), 2.2L build motor, Evo 9 turbo, injectors, etc. I will supply the post for reference. Any input would be appreciated, thank you in advance. Tom
http://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/cto/4726566391.html
Old Nov 3, 2014, 07:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If he's talking about the spring on the shifer arm/box he's likely full of it. If he's talking about a "detent ball and spring" inside the trans then that sounds legit. If he didn't make the story up to sell a car with a bad trans then it's a $5 fix either way.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not entirely sure what he means. But to fix this, you don't need to pull the Trans right? Is it accessible via the center console? Like I said, the car has a new clutch with only 4k miles