Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Please help radiator leak

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2014, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help radiator leak

Hello all,

I have a 2006 evo 9 with about 90,000 miles on the clock.

Today when I was checking the oil level I noticed the overflow was empty and that the radiator was leaking from the top.

I think it may be due to the 1.3 bar ralliart radiator cap I put on a month ago from japanparts.

I am now going to top off the radiator and burp the system after the car cools and put the oem cap back on and see if that fixes things for now.

Any suggestions on upgraded radiators (yes I searched a lot) CBRD is nice but is not a bolt on and is pricey. Koyo has had many accounts of leaking. So Mishimoto looks like the winner.?? I am not crazy about the mirror finish and the logo on top of the radiator… Living in Kalifornia that is more of a reason to go to the smog ref. Is there a high quality bolt on radiator without the bling?

If Mishimoto is the way to go which vendor can get it to me fastest in socal?

Thanks,

Nick
Old Nov 12, 2014, 09:05 PM

Ok just checked the car, radiator was still full of coolant still. I replaced the cap back to the oem 1.1 bar cap. Will go for a short drive and see if it leaks.

I understand the oem system was designed to only have 1.1 bar of pressure but if only an extra .2 bar of pressure makes the radiator leak from the seams, that is something I would want to upgrade anyways.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 07:56 AM

If it is leaking from the seams then the radiator is bad. Factory radiators are prone to leak where the end tanks meet the core and when they do they will continue to do so till it blows. Your best bet is replace the radiator as soon as possible. I really think the Mishimoto radiator is the best bet. I have seen both Koyo racing and the Fluidyne radiators leak where the end tanks meet the core but I have not seen that happen on the Mishimoto radiator. It even a lot cheaper then the other 2. All 3 of those radiators have been on a Supra and the only one that is still good today with no leaks is the cheaper in price Mishimoto. Good luck to you and I think you should check out Amazon to see if they can get the radiator out to you in a day or so.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 01:20 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
our radiator drops right in- and comes with a straight upper hose- just need to connect the factory fan control plug-

or buy a CSF replacement which will work fine- and better than mishimoto!

cb
Old Nov 13, 2014, 02:26 PM

Go with Koyo, it's better quailty then Mishimoto. Almost ever quailty shop will recommended Koyo. I just bought a Koyo, my stock Radiator is leaking from bottom where the metal is crimped to the plastic. CBRD is nice, problem is I want to keep stock fan and it won't bolt like factory. I am from Nor Cal and know the pain of the cops around California, I don't think a radiator would be considered illegal.

Originally Posted by wiseguy9
Hello all,

I have a 2006 evo 9 with about 90,000 miles on the clock.

Today when I was checking the oil level I noticed the overflow was empty and that the radiator was leaking from the top.

I think it may be due to the 1.3 bar ralliart radiator cap I put on a month ago from japanparts.

I am now going to top off the radiator and burp the system after the car cools and put the oem cap back on and see if that fixes things for now.

Any suggestions on upgraded radiators (yes I searched a lot) CBRD is nice but is not a bolt on and is pricey. Koyo has had many accounts of leaking. So Mishimoto looks like the winner.?? I am not crazy about the mirror finish and the logo on top of the radiator… Living in Kalifornia that is more of a reason to go to the smog ref. Is there a high quality bolt on radiator without the bling?

If Mishimoto is the way to go which vendor can get it to me fastest in socal?

Thanks,

Nick
Old Nov 14, 2014, 06:07 PM

Thanks for all the replies!

I pulled the trigger on the Mishimoto yesterday. A vendor from this website had it in stock and since I need this asap, thats what I went with.

While the radiator is not illegal, it will definitely help you to get smog reff'd by a cop especially if you have other questionable things going on. Just too much bling!!!… I think I may research some steel wool to use to dull the finish… Any suggestions on grit??

Also not to be a hater, but Mishimoto isn't in my mind a high quality brand. But it seems that they are changing that. IDK

There is good feedback on the part and a lifetime warranty!
Old Nov 14, 2014, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Factory end tanks will leak eventually. Mine did and I just got a new aluminum radiator to replace it.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would have just got an OEM radiator or a CBRD one if you were looking to spend more.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 07:39 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
scuff with some red or gray abrasive pads-

cb