Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Replaced bushings still have same problem. Whats next?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2014, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replaced bushings still have same problem. Whats next?

A few months ago when I first got my car, the shifting felt great on it. I would notice that when I would go to hit third hard, it would feel "mushy" and it wouldn't be in gear so I would go back to neutral then go back in to third and it would take it.

However, last week, I noticed it starting to do it to first when backing out of my driveway, when I would go to shift in to 1st, it would just "go and feel mushy" and you would have to push a little harder and you could feel it go in to gear. Now its doing it consitently to 1,3,5 but 2,4,6,R all feel crisp. Its kind of baffling because while sitting still, you can push the clutch in, put it in gear like you're about to move and it will feel like I said loose and mushy, but if you slowly put it in gear and go to 2nd, 3rd, or what ever, it feels tight again, but as soon as you go to actually put it in gear like you were having to move, it goes back to that mushy feeling.

I replaced my base and underhood bushings, it didn't make any difference. What is next to look at replacing?
Old Dec 6, 2014, 11:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,547 Likes on 1,326 Posts
check that the cable housings are tight where they attach to the shifter base and the bracket on the trans.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 12:03 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Instead of going into neutral, Does double clucthing work?
Old Dec 6, 2014, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's difficult to explain.. it feels like something is either loose or has "wallered" out. When just sitting and playing with the gears you can usually get it to go right in with a crisp firm feeling, but as soon as you start driving, it feels free and like I said mushy then you have to either push further for it to take gear, or you have to go back to neutral and try again. Then sometimes you can get it to do it sitting still in like third and you can actually feel the slop/play move about half an inch snd you can hear distinct sound of unnatural moving, not like a grinding noise but rubbing. Only does it on 1,3,5.