Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

FP and CBRD no longer have bolt on turbos - Whats next?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2015, 12:52 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Mick_O
Yep another Australian here with a leaky FP BB here. Pulled the turbo off before i installed the catch can because i didn't have faith in it fixing the leak. Turbo done 3000km tops. Cant even sell it here in Aus for $1500 & i paid $2700

Sounds like a personal problem. Proper crank case ventilation solved my leaking BB red issues. I didn't even have to send the turbo back to FP. Fixed itself as soon as crank case pressure was brought down.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by nemsin
I wonder if MAP will be providing support for the new Blouch turbos, or if it would be done straight through Blouch?
the thing to consider is that CBRD probably didnt just decide to stop making the bbk's...if you ever followed some of the publicly posted threads about blown turbos it really seemed that blouch was the issue with weird warranty denials and big turn around times IMHO NOT chad.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Please excuse my ignorance, but even after searching I can't find any more info about the turbine supply issue. Does anyone have a link to another thread or statement about this?
Old Mar 31, 2015, 08:32 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiruu
Please excuse my ignorance, but even after searching I can't find any more info about the turbine supply issue. Does anyone have a link to another thread or statement about this?
If you are talking about the MHI housing, it's because the latest version of the car is going on 9yrs old. There's an infinite number of housings around. Mitsubishi probably didn't count on so many being used.
If you meet something else, nevermind LOL
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Sounds like a personal problem. Proper crank case ventilation solved my leaking BB red issues. I didn't even have to send the turbo back to FP. Fixed itself as soon as crank case pressure was brought down.
Of course its a personal problem i dropped nearly $3K on a turbo i can't give away for half of what it owes me! I'm sure you would have the same personal issues i would too if you had the same experience as i did? So if it was crank case ventilation issues why did it take around 3000kms to all of a sudden start to leak cause i would've thought it would of leaked straight away after it was installed?
I know of at least 8 of these turbos all of them had catch cans and all the rubbish that FP recommended and they all eventually died. Ask the owner of GT Pumps over here in Australia how many FP turbos he has converted back to JB because their BB turbos are crap.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Of course its a personal problem i dropped nearly $3K on a turbo i can't give away for half of what it owes me! I'm sure you would have the same personal issues i would too if you had the same experience as i did? So if it was crank case ventilation issues why did it take around 3000kms to all of a sudden start to leak cause i would've thought it would of leaked straight away after it was installed?
I know of at least 8 of these turbos all of them had catch cans and all the rubbish that FP recommended and they all eventually died. Ask the owner of GT Pumps over here in Australia how many FP turbos he has converted back to JB because their BB turbos are crap.
Because mine did the same thing (took about 1,000 miles to start leaking/smoking) and two 10an vents out of the valve cover fixed it. One with 5/8 check valve to intake manifold, the other to the intake pipe. Both with a catch can. The turbo stopped leaking all on its own.

If you guys actually listened to FP, instead of treating everything they said as lies, maybe you could have fixed your problems. All the stories of guys on here who have the issue NEVER log crank case pressure. It is IMPOSSIBLE to blame the turbo if you have no idea what kind of crank case pressure your engine has. End of story.

GTpumps must being laughing there way to the bank with all the money from you JB conversions..
Old Apr 1, 2015, 02:27 AM
Evolving Member

Because mine did the same thing (took about 1,000 miles to start leaking/smoking) and two 10an vents out of the valve cover fixed it. One with 5/8 check valve to intake manifold, the other to the intake pipe. Both with a catch can. The turbo stopped leaking all on its own.

If you guys actually listened to FP, instead of treating everything they said as lies, maybe you could have fixed your problems. All the stories of guys on here who have the issue NEVER log crank case pressure. It is IMPOSSIBLE to blame the turbo if you have no idea what kind of crank case pressure your engine has. End of story.

GTpumps must being laughing there way to the bank with all the money from you JB conversions..
Clearly you didn't read my post properly did you?
Old Apr 1, 2015, 07:10 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
the thing to consider is that CBRD probably didnt just decide to stop making the bbk's...if you ever followed some of the publicly posted threads about blown turbos it really seemed that blouch was the issue with weird warranty denials and big turn around times IMHO NOT chad.
Dont want to get into a conversation over anything other than-

CBRD and BLOUCH decided after 7 years of working together we needed to take our own paths- our business model has changed--

cheers

cb
Old Apr 1, 2015, 07:23 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by CBRD
Dont want to get into a conversation over anything other than-

CBRD and BLOUCH decided after 7 years of working together we needed to take our own paths- our business model has changed--

cheers

cb

it happens. kind of you to chime in, though. as long as i have a few stock-framed turbos to choose from, i'm good.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 07:34 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
it happens. kind of you to chime in, though. as long as i have a few stock-framed turbos to choose from, i'm good.
no worries at all!

you will be taken care of-

cb
Old Apr 1, 2015, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
I only remember 1 such case, alpina's?
Old Apr 1, 2015, 09:18 AM
EvoM Guru

Clearly you didn't read my post properly did you?

I did. Not once do you any of you Aussie guys that constantly whine about this issue post what your actual crank case pressure was. Just because you put a bunch of vents on the valve cover doesn't mean you alleviated enough crankcase pressure. If my vent setup hadn't fixed the issue, the next step was to make a setup to test/log crank case pressure, not go whine on the internet about it and tell everyone its junk when I didn't verify what the actual problem was.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 09:30 AM
kaj

I did. Not once do you any of you Aussie guys that constantly whine about this issue post what your actual crank case pressure was. Just because you put a bunch of vents on the valve cover doesn't mean you alleviated enough crankcase pressure. If my vent setup hadn't fixed the issue, the next step was to make a setup to test/log crank case pressure, not go whine on the internet about it and tell everyone its junk when I didn't verify what the actual problem was.
and FP has let everyone know this is an issue? also, not everyone can setup and log crank case pressure. not everyone that upgrades their turbos have those kind of resources and i'm sure FP wasn't counting on their customers having them, either.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 10:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
and FP has let everyone know this is an issue? also, not everyone can setup and log crank case pressure. not everyone that upgrades their turbos have those kind of resources and i'm sure FP wasn't counting on their customers having them, either.

All you have to do is tee off of the PCV line into your boost gauge, or drill and tap a small 1/8 pipe to barb fitting into the valvecover.

And if you call FP when the issue presents, they walk you through why its leaking the way it is, and what causes it. It basically comes down if the oil didn't push past the seals, the crank case pressure would prevent the turbo from draining. And in severe cases, since ball bearing turbos are supplied oil at such low pressure (small restrictor in the line), it could prevent the oil from reaching the turbo, starving the turbo of oil. This is information I received straight from Robert@FP when I called, who was awesome to talk to.

You guys have to understand, when your Evo makes 500whp, your getting close to (if not exceeding) making 300hp per liter at the crank (600 crank hp), which is a HUGE amount of power, and the cylinder pressure required to generate that is immense. At 30psi, we are shoving two entire extra atmospheres into our little engines, its a lot of air. So even if you have a relatively healthy engine with only 7-10% leak down, you're still putting a lot of air into the block, and it has to go somewhere. If the crankcase vents aren't enough, it goes up into the "huge" 5/8" turbo oil drain pipe, and pushed oil past the seals..

Straight off of FP's website FAQ section..

"Q.My turbo is smoking and it's brand new. The shaft has normal play in it so is one of my seals blown?

A.The term "blown seal" is widely used to describe a turbo that has oil coming out of it. In reality a turbocharger seal cannot become damaged until the freeplay of the shaft has increased to the point where the blades of the turbocharger have been rubbing against the housings. Blade contact usually requires more than .035" of side to side movement of the shaft. In some cases it is even possible to rub the blades and still not damage the seals.
If the turbo is new and the shaft isn't loose and bouncing off the housings, but oil is coming out of it chances are you can correct the problem without even taking the turbo back off the car.
The seals within the turbo are not meant to hold back a bearing housing that has become full of oil. They are designed to sling the oil mist and spray within the bearing housing away from the point where the shaft comes out each end. If the bearing housing becomes full of oil it will ooze out past even brand new seal rings.
The oil should freely drain out of the bearing housing as quickly as the engine supplies it. This is why the drain tube is so much larger than the supply tube. Gravity is the only force moving the oil out of the turbocharger. Any slight restriction in the oil drain tube, even a small silicone dingle berry, can slightly impede the draining of the oil and cause oil to back up into the bearing housing. The crankcase vents are the second largest cause of oil loss from a good condition turbocharger. The seals in the turbocharger were designed with expectation that the pressure inside the compressor and turbine housing will always be greater than the pressure in the bearing housing. If this is ever not the case then oil will come out pass the seals. A restricted crankcase vent will cause this to happen. If the amount of ring blowby exceeds the ability of the crank vents to release the pressure positive pressure will build within the crankcase. This pressure within the crankcase can exceed the pressure inside the compressor and turbine housings under some operating conditions resulting in oil being driven pass the seals by the improperly biased pressure gradient across the seal rings. In severe cases it may be necessary to introduce vacuum pumps to deal with crankcase pressure, but these would be very severe high boost applications where even low percentages of blowby produce a high volume of crankcase vent flow. "
Old Apr 1, 2015, 01:06 PM
kaj

And if you call FP when the issue presents, they walk you through why its leaking the way it is, and what causes it.
good to know. i wonder why the info hasn't gotten out to most owners. i'd also imagine this would happen with pretty much any turbo at 30psi +. i run 30psi when on e85 for track days. maybe i should check mine as well.

Quick Reply: FP and CBRD no longer have bolt on turbos - Whats next?