Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

TRE Transmission Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2015, 07:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRE Transmission Rebuild

I do not often have a ton to say about products and services as they are usually what I expect and not much more, but in this case there is a difference. I will also follow up with I paid for the services rendered by TRE---- that is read as I paid full price, so no bias except how my experience was and my thoughts to go with it. Lastly, I do all of my own work (including fabrication and tuning) except the machine work on the engine and obviously rebuilding a transmission.

It started out in 2013 when I put my car back together after a 4-year hiatus and everything was perfectly fine, I then began to not only drive the car on the street but I also started to autocross the car a bit. The more I drove the car the more the transmission whined in first gear but nothing crazy, so for 2014 I continued to run it and it was status quo until my way home from an event later in the year--- the whine just kept getting louder and in more than a couple of gears, I knew it was time that it had to come out. I knew it was coming, so it was not a surprise so out it came and I contacted TRE and off it went... then the wait begins...

So it is the same experience when I had sent my T/F case off a couple of years ago as well as getting a 12-plate MaxLock rear diff setup--- send it in and wait. For me my OCD starts to kick in and I want to know what is going on, but I also know how it is to be hounded from a dozen directions at once so I just let them do their thing.

Finally I get a call from Jon as well as some pictures, his words are very simple and blunt-- overall my transmission has problems with 1,2,3,4, cracked center diff spiders, and the ring gear also has some wear. Here is first gear:

I expected maybe a couple of gears and the shafts, but basically 5th and reverse were the only survivors. Huh. And add that the case has some issues too-- I am not happy, but I also figured that there would be more problems than I originally thought with the extra noises it inherited at the end of 2014.

What ended up being replaced was close to everything in the transmission including part of the case which they had a good used part that they tossed in considering how much else had to be done. Although it took a few weeks longer than I would have liked, there was a lot more wrong to deal with than expected. So I got it back and it looked great out of the box. Clean, included replacement alignment dowels, numerous new bolts, and a square cut o-ring instead of the standard o-ring for the transfer case seal to the transmission. Got it installed over the weekend taking my time. I also did get the TRE oil plate for the transmission which is very cool.

Here is how I received the transmission after taking it out of the box:

So first impressions were that it is super quiet compared to what I have heard over the past year--- I actually hear tire noise over the transmission which is a first in a long time. For the first 10-20 miles, shifting was a bit notchy, but that I expected as I was told it would be. Once I went through the gears a number of times, the shift quality is very good and the more that I drive it, the better it feels. Once I get some more time on it, I will be changing the oil as recommended. With that I do run Redline 75W140NS which has been good to me as far as shift quality in the past, so I have stuck with it. I did pass up temptation for the first couple hundred of miles to really get into it or shift faster, but temptation finally was eclipsed and I did get into it and make some good 1-2-3 shifts and it just fell in gear as it should.

So overall, the transmission is what I wanted. The other part is what I didn't think I was going to get-- a lot of technical explanation from Jon. This is the difference between someone that knows the who/why/whens/and how things work--- not going to find that in many places. Jon is an engineer first and foremost that has a knack for really making things work the right way and knowing exactly why. When I first saw pictures of my gear that was a complete mess... I thought I was the only one, but he has seen it and explained why. Everything from the pressure angles to materials and---you get the idea... quickly over my head in terms of technicalities, but the major points stuck in my head. He also did some limited explanation of his gear detailing and what he does to make the transmission live in a higher horsepower environment. Then to mention that there are somewhere between 75-100 different machining processes that he does to each transmission... I know I made the right choice.

So just like my transfer case and rear end that they have done for me in the past, this transmission is done right. Well worth the time and money that I spent on it and I do expect it to work for years to come. Yes you can have it done for less but will it live? That is always a question, but with my typical skepticism about anybody doing work for me--- this is one of those solo moments that I never worried.
The following users liked this post:
evl08 (Apr 6, 2022)
Old Nov 6, 2018, 04:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Good story from more than 3 years ago with no replies. Anyone able to contact TRE lately? I've sent 3 emails through their website over the course of 5 months with no reply. Guess i'm not worthy
Old Nov 6, 2018, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
I received my rebuilt transmission, transfercase and rear diff a week ago. My first email I never got a response. My 2nd email I got a call back that day. Initially he was hard to get a hold of but anywho I sent him pretty much the whole drivetrain. After they got it he gave me a call back about options and details. During the course of the week most of the time I was able to get a hold of him by calling and he really explains stuff like crazy. He will get off track but it didn't bother me since it was interesting. Anywho once he got the money my stuff shipped back a couple days later.

I really felt like he went above and beyond with his customer service with me. I know he has a bad reputation with communication but he and his team gave me very very good service. I hope to never have to send my drivetrain back but if I do itll go back to him.

Fyi he did mention they were focusing really hard on drivetrain repair so they could take a little time off during the holidays.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 06:25 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
LOL, Yes a very nice post & not one soul said a thing

You have appreciate what TRE does in that blast vs paint finish on the trans

Looks awesome!
Old Nov 6, 2018, 06:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
LOL, Yes a very nice post & not one soul said a thing

You have appreciate what TRE does in that blast vs paint finish on the trans

Looks awesome!
Looks awesome, and it doesn't splatter when you spray the case with brake cleaner.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Pal215
Good story from more than 3 years ago with no replies. Anyone able to contact TRE lately? I've sent 3 emails through their website over the course of 5 months with no reply. Guess i'm not worthy
I also tried several emails but wasn't able to get ahold of them. Ended up sending my rear diff to shep.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 09:10 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Abacus emailed him and got a call back last week. Unfortunately, you do need to be patient if you want the drivetrain you can get in your Evo. It's worth the wait though.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
fill out the form online, and watch your junk mail, as mine fell into my spam box
Old Nov 7, 2018, 02:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainSquirts
I received my rebuilt transmission, transfercase and rear diff a week ago. My first email I never got a response. My 2nd email I got a call back that day. Initially he was hard to get a hold of but anywho I sent him pretty much the whole drivetrain. After they got it he gave me a call back about options and details. During the course of the week most of the time I was able to get a hold of him by calling and he really explains stuff like crazy. He will get off track but it didn't bother me since it was interesting. Anywho once he got the money my stuff shipped back a couple days later.

I really felt like he went above and beyond with his customer service with me. I know he has a bad reputation with communication but he and his team gave me very very good service. I hope to never have to send my drivetrain back but if I do itll go back to him.

Fyi he did mention they were focusing really hard on drivetrain repair so they could take a little time off during the holidays.
Very cool! Your car is going to drive much quieter and smoother now with all that work. Let us know how it goes once you are done installing your drive train. Doing it all at once like that is probably the most rewarding thing to do, especially if you go with a CF or aluminum driveshaft during reinstall
Old Nov 7, 2018, 02:17 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by blackline
I also tried several emails but wasn't able to get ahold of them. Ended up sending my rear diff to shep.
I did the same with my trans. I have the quote and email he sent me re: my diff, so I'l just gonna ship it to him. I don't have time to wait on a phone call or another email. I can't send it to Shep because I want the 12 plate clutch pack.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I can't send it to Shep because I want the 12 plate clutch pack.

I got my diff from shep last week and had it updated to the 12 plate ...
Old Nov 7, 2018, 03:16 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by blackline
I got my diff from shep last week and had it updated to the 12 plate ...
Can you PM some details, please? Sending out Monday, so very curious. Especially if TRE is taking the holidays off.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

I believe the 12 plate from shep are the weir 12 plates.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 04:36 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by CaptainSquirts
I believe the 12 plate from shep are the weir 12 plates.
That would be a definite no-go for me. First, if going Weir, I'd do it myself. Second, they didn't respond to any of my emails requesting another order, so I'm taking my business elsewhere. If I'm paying someone to do all the goodies, then I'll upgrade to TREs setup.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
That would be a definite no-go for me. First, if going Weir, I'd do it myself. Second, they didn't respond to any of my emails requesting another order, so I'm taking my business elsewhere. If I'm paying someone to do all the goodies, then I'll upgrade to TREs setup.
when I spoke to someone at shep I believe they said it was the weir but dont take my word for it. For tre's he uses oem but has to machine stuff in the rear diff for it to fit.
The following users liked this post:
kaj (Nov 7, 2018)

Quick Reply: TRE Transmission Rebuild