Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Transfer Case leak...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2015, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transfer Case leak...

Alright guys...
I'm just finishing up my installs of my new setup which includes a full transmission and transfer case build by Shep. I've re-sealed my transfer case for the 3rd time now with new OEM O-rings and it is STILL leaking on me after i drive it about 5 miles or so. There are no cracks on any of the mating surfaces/ o-ring groove or on the inside of the transmission housing where the large O-ring sits in. I am torquing the transfer case to spec (50 Ft. Lbs.) I am 100% positive it is the smaller O-ring leaking because I am leaking transfer case fluid. Ive called Shep and they had no light to shine on my situation other than try re-sealing it again.... Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated!
Old Apr 24, 2015, 06:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is it the seal on the right side axle? I had the same leak years ago, and the mechanic put a little gasket shellak on the outside of the seal and it went away since then.

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znet...20539/image/3/
Old Apr 24, 2015, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nope it's not my axle seals. I called Shep again and got more information. I can't believe I didn't realize this before but the two o-rings that I've been replacing only seal transmission fluid going to the t-case. According to them the only place that t-case fluid could be leaking from is the "drum" seal which is basically the front seal on the input side of the transfer case. Looks like a mini crank seal. Looks like I'm pulling my transfer case and sending it back to Shep for some re-work... Wonderful lol
Old Apr 24, 2015, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A www mannnnn. Sorry to hear it.