Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 9 Coolant Temperature Gauge Reads Slightly Higher than Normal Continually (Pic)

Old Dec 22, 2015, 06:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Exclamation Evo 9 Coolant Temperature Gauge Reads Slightly Higher than Normal Continually (Pic)

Hey everyone,

Something that has been going on with my evo for a while now is a higher-than-normal coolant temperature reading on my gauge cluster. When I bought the car it was also a tiny bit high (say about a needle's width more) than dead center on the gauge. It has slowly increased to where it sits now (pic below).

Any ideas what could cause this rise? I checked the coolant and it isn't low, the car hasn't had any issues with overheating in the past either.

Thoughts?

TIA

Evo 9 Coolant Temperature Gauge Reads Slightly Higher than Normal Continually (Pic)-0nt0ako.jpg
Old Dec 23, 2015, 08:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check grounds on the back of the engine. the ground from intake manifold to firewall can cause false temp readings.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 08:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
also it is commong for gauges to read off if someone put a overlay on the cluster which is what appears to be in yours.

If anything else let the car warm and make sure that both hoses get warm and the thermostat is operating properly. It may simply be time for a thermostat change. We have had a ton of fan modules from the stock fans fail also.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 08:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Check for thermostat operation. If you have Evoscan, log actual coolant temp from the ECU, and check grounds.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 08:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Check for thermostat operation. If you have Evoscan, log actual coolant temp from the ECU, and check grounds.
Yep, I've got Evoscan so I'll take a look at the logs!

Originally Posted by ForceFedTuned
also it is commong for gauges to read off if someone put a overlay on the cluster which is what appears to be in yours.

If anything else let the car warm and make sure that both hoses get warm and the thermostat is operating properly. It may simply be time for a thermostat change. We have had a ton of fan modules from the stock fans fail also.
Yeah I believe the PO had an overlay on the cluster due to it lacking the ACD writing as well as the "Evo IX" overlay to the right.

I've been planning on getting a new radiator as well as changing the Thermostat so maybe it is time for that!

Thanks Guys!
I'll report back with any findings.