Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 8 pill dimensions or extras?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2016, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 8 pill dimensions or extras?

Good morning,

New to the Evo scene! Picked up a 2005 Evo 8 about a week ago and working through some fixes. Overall car runs great but it's only building 12psi boost.

Based on tons of reading I'm going to do a vacuum line pressure test BUT also based on reading I'm pretty sure my boost control solenoid lines are missing the "pills" which is causing the wastegate to open ~12psi and not allow boost to build.

Just went out to my car and felt as far down the hoses as I could from the two nipples on the BCS and I don't feel any hard spots that would have the little pills. There are also no hose clamps. Working theory between us amateurs here at work is that previous owner had a manual boost controller and deleted the pills. Then removed the controller and hooked up the stock BCS (which is currently crappily zip-tied to the aftermarket intake).

So......can I get these pills somewhere? Anybody have some? Are they different sizes between the two? I've also got some machinist resources so I could have some made of delrin or brass or aluminum but need to know exact dimensions.

Could also buy a new complete set of turbo hoses if y'all think that's the best route.

Thanks! Really enjoying the knowledge here. Would really like my factory boost levels...car is nice at 12psi but can't wait for more! Never owned a turbo car and the sounds are intoxicating!

Thanks,
Casey
Old Jan 23, 2016, 08:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You can get pills, but I would suggest putting another MBC on it. Or if you want solenoid controlled boost get a better controller than stock. you can plug the line going to the wastegate actuator and see if you can get more than 12 psi to verify turbo/wastegate, but be SUPER careful as you will have no boost control so be ready to let out quick and take it slow. you can also test the solenoid to verify that it is working using 12v at the solenoid. Sounds like the solenoid may be stuck open? You can check that by blowing in it. MBC will be the easiest fix man.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 12:30 PM

Thanks for the heads up! I managed to find a new, unopened set of BCS vacuum lines including the "pills" on eBay for $30. Will try that first. Tuning will come but I kind of want to level set the car...I guess this is the downside of a used car that you are not sure what was done to it.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 03:59 PM

To update

New lines with pills intact solved the issue - boosting to 19psi. Bad news is on the way home from the test run I pull into the driveway and smell coolant. Leaky lower turbo coolant line. Seems to have busted right by the clamp. Upper part is easy to grab but the lower....need to buy a jack and some stands?